Winter storage and unwanted visitors (mice).

DenaliHD

What are some new ideas people are using to keep unwanted visitors (mice) from ocupying our camper during winter storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I spray the frame and jacks with MouseFree once each year. When we set up on our site for the summer, I "paint" it on part of the hoses and cables between the ground and rig. Works on the wife's plant stands and bird feeder poles to keep crawling insects off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I have heard on this forum of using the cheapest, smelliest (dollar store?) dryer sheets you can find and stick them in the spaces under drawers, in cabinets, and near any outside access holes to repel mice. I can't swear that this works - I picked up a couple of "travelling" mice in forest area stays over the years, and had to resort to traps inside to get them taken care of. But I never had any invade while the trailer was in storage - but that might also be an environmental issue (feral cats?).

JohnDar

I have heard on this forum of using the cheapest, smelliest (dollar store?) dryer sheets you can find and stick them in the spaces under drawers, in cabinets, and near any outside access holes to repel mice. I can't swear that this works - I picked up a couple of "travelling" mice in forest area stays over the years, and had to resort to traps inside to get them taken care of. But I never had any invade while the trailer was in storage - but that might also be an environmental issue (feral cats?).

Years ago, when first on this forum, I read and tried the dryer sheet idea. Mice literally used them for toilet paper.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One of our favorite places to camp (which we are going to next week) has mice running around . . .

I've sprayed the obvious entrance spots in our Prowler with insulation foam to keep them out . . .

I'll let you know next week if it worked!

GOTTOYS

Years ago, when first on this forum, I read and tried the dryer sheet idea. Mice literally used them for toilet paper.
Dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint oil, all work as long as there are no mice to begin with! There have been countless posts how people have found dryer sheets being used to build nests by mice. Seal up all the holes, set traps. Cats and poison also work but aren't always the best solution....Don

GETnBYE

We use the spray foam, and we try to find every possible place that a wire or a pipe come in or out. We take up the false floors and walls that are under the cabinets and in closets to spray and then put the wood back. It is time consuming, but well worth it in the long run.
You have to really hunt to find all of the places that need spraying. And don't skimp in the foam, but be aware it will swell a bit during the dry time and be careful, it is a messy job.

JohnDar

I also filled and covered every opening I could find, even made rubber flaps for the hydraulic rods. But they still got in. I'll stick with the MouseFree because it works.

GETnBYE

I also filled and covered every opening I could find, even made rubber flaps for the hydraulic rods. But they still got in. I'll stick with the MouseFree because it works.

we might not stop them, but we sure do want to make them have to work harder to get in don't we?
I will be checking into this spray --------------->>>>> heading on over to amazon now. Thanks

JohnDar

Not sure if Amazon has it. I get it direct from the company. Try Googling the name.

JanAndBill

We had some 4 legged little critters set up house in a very short time this summer. Traps made sure we had them, followed by peppermint soaked cotton balls, and D-con outside under the trailer. We also filled all the openings we could find inside and out. One thing that I had missed, earlier, is there were 4 holes on each side of the rear frame rails approximately 1-1/2" in diameter with nothing in them??? They are now sealed with foam. So far so good.

olcoon

One thing I've heard is in the holes (or any hole for that matter) where you use the spray foam, to also put steel wool in there so the foam will attach to it. Apparently they don't like the steel wool. At the Wisconsin Rally this year they had some door prizes of Mouse-Be-Gone, and some info was in our rally bags. I don't know anything about it, but I heard a few comments that it was good stuff, & worked. HERE is their website. Another thing we've heard about & have tried and it seems to be working is to put white rope lights on the ground all around the rig. They must be directly on the ground, and be on the outside​ of anything that touches the ground, and be left on 24/7. I usually run the lights under the sewer hose, and over the water hose. But if you have your rig in a storage yard with no electricity, this isn't an option.

Westwind

Do it now - I put the Fox Pee around the trailer in the little containers and loaded the inside with Bounty dryer softeners which stink - last year that method worked for me, but wouldn't you know I have 3 t - shirts in the the dresser and they beat me to it. How do I know?

JohnDar

For holding the foam in the larger holes, I taped a piece of window screen over it and then sprayed the foam over it. Worked pretty good. To close out the gap between the front wall and the frame in the front compartment, I folded screen into a channel, stuffed it in place and filled it with foam.

GETnBYE

For holding the foam in the larger holes, I taped a piece of window screen over it and then sprayed the foam over it. Worked pretty good. To close out the gap between the front wall and the frame in the front compartment, I folded screen into a channel, stuffed it in place and filled it with foam.

good info, thanks

JohnD

When I bought the foam at Ace Hardware, they had two types . . . one for less than an inch opening . . . the other for an opening larger than an inch!

I bought the foam for larger than an inch opening, but probably should have used the window screen trick as mentioned above by JohnDar as I did have some foam slide down the landing gear and on the ground under the trailer before it gelled.

However, it did fill the gap so I am not worried about mice getting in through there, and I still have half a can of the foam in case I find more openings.

However, the nozzle that came with the can is basically only good for the initial use, so now I have half a can of foam to use on something and hope I can apply it without the long nozzle!

JohnDar

If you clean the tip and nozzle with acetone when you're done, you might get a second time from it.

JohnD

If you clean the tip and nozzle with acetone when you're done, you might get a second time from it.

I tried to blow it out with my air compressor right after using it, but even that didn't clear it out!

I did save the nozzle . . . but it is clogged!

I may try to run something down through the nozzle to see if I can clear it, but I still should be able to use the rest of the can without the nozzle attached!

JohnDar

The nozzle may still clear if you get some acetone in it. The tip of the can needs to be cleaned, too, or it won't work.

olcoon

If it dries, and is clogged, I've taken a stiff wire and used that to clean it out. Sometimes it takes a little work, but I've always been able to clean it out. It helps to cut the end of the wire at a severe angle, and usually at some point, I'll put a slight hook on the end so I can pull pieces out.