Convection /my first try.

GETnBYE

Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Figured they would be raw or burned so didn't want to go to much trouble.
I remember everyone saying preheating was the most important and what tested patience, so I followed the rules carefully.
I think we left them in there a minute to long and may have needed to rotate the pan, but otherwise it was very easy and the bottom was done but not over done.

I was was also told to reduce time OR temp by 25%. I reduced the time.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

TxCowboy

We have the Highpointe microwave/convection oven in our LM 365. The instructions say to reduce the cooking instructions by 25 degrees, e.g., 375 would become 350 degrees. The cook time stays the same, per the instructions.

Everything I've baked so far has come out perfect, without having to rotate the pan. The middle shelf rack is where we put the pan and have never used the round rack though the round rack might be best for cooking cakes and pies.

EDIT: And after looking again at the pictures -- YUM! :)

GETnBYE

We have the Highpointe microwave/convection oven in our LM 365. The instructions say to reduce the cooking instructions by 25 degrees, e.g., 375 would become 350 degrees. The cook time stays the same, per the instructions.

Everything I've baked so far has come out perfect, without having to rotate the pan. The middle shelf rack is where we put the pan and have never used the round rack though the round rack might be best for cooking cakes and pies.

EDIT: And after looking again at the pictures -- YUM! :)
thanks, they were yummy.
I will try reducing temp and see if we don't get the char on the edge.
Would like to hear how a meat does, ie. Beef roast, roasted chicken or pork perhaps.

GETnBYE

We have yet to use the convection...you've inspired me to do it.
Go for it, it was much less intimidating than I thought it would be. The only thing that I almost did was put a foam plate in to microwave something before it had cooled off. I am going to use all Pyrex until I get more used to it to avoid any mishaps.

TxCowboy

Go for it, it was much less intimidating than I thought it would be. The only thing that I almost did was put a foam plate in to microwave something before it had cooled off. I am going to use all Pyrex until I get more used to it to avoid any mishaps.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment but we normally remove the microwave glass plate and its rotating base before using the convection oven. Maybe the glass plate can take the heat but I'm not sure that plastic rotating thingy can.

And clearly the two metal racks should be removed before attempting to use the microwave.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Anita - i have made chicken casserole in the convection oven with great success. I always use Pyrex glass dishes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I'm reading too much into your comment but we normally remove the microwave glass plate and its rotating base before using the convection oven. Maybe the glass plate can take the heat but I'm not sure that plastic rotating thingy can.

And clearly the two metal racks should be removed before attempting to use the microwave.
We always leave the glass plate in along with using a wire riser and allow it to rotate if the dish or pan size allow.
Love the convection at home and in the RV.
Works great for pizza too.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our Apollo 1/2 time convection oven, we leave the glass plate and roller thing. We place the specialized metal tray in and cook on that. Have cooked mainly rolls and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GETnBYE

Looks like some leave it in and some don't. We might need to investigate this more. Seems like you would be constantly pulling trays and racks in and out. I would think that at least the metal rack would stay as my home microwave has a rack and it is not even a convection oven.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We only cook in our convection oven. Have not used our regular oven at all in this rig. With that though we have found that we have to increase time and temp to get food done.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have yet to use the convection...you've inspired me to do it.

Just do it. Since we started using the convection, we haven't touched the propane oven. Rarely use the propane range either. We have a portable induction unit. Love it.

pegmikef

Wife has three ovens at the house so she likes using both the gas and convection ovens depending on what she is making. Just replaced the Hot pointe with a GE because of an electrical problem that fried the Hot Point. She likes the new much better and says it is more accurate and has more latitude on temperature control and selection. We, too, leave the glass plate in and use the racks that came with the unit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
DW cooks in the convection all of the time. Never have even lit the oven. She has cooked the Pillsbury cinnamon many many times but usually uses the table top air bake oven for them.

jbeletti

We only have the convection oven in the RV - same for the last few coaches.

When convection backing, when possible, we use cooking dishes that can fully rotate in the oven. Like Dave, we also leave the glass plate in and use the metal riser rack. Works great!

Sometimes though, we have a long pan in there that will not rotate. For those, we add the metal rack the spans the width of the oven at about the mid-point, vertically. We usually do rotate the cooking dish one or more times during cooking when the dish cannot rotate on it's own.

Many times, I've reheated leftover friend food (chicken tenders, pizza, French fries, onion rings etc. using convection. I generally use the wide metal rack and put the food right on the rack so the hot air can flow around the food. The exception is pizza. When cooking or reheating that, I use a round pizza pan with holes in it and set it on the metal riser rack and let it spin.

For baked goods such as cookies, muffins, biscuits and similar, we ALWAYS check for doneness on the short end of the recommended cooking time and it's usually done then. For casseroles and such, it seems to ALWAYS take way longer than package or recipe directions. I generally plan for 90 to 120 minutes of cooking time for that sort of thing.

Bear in mind also that while these new ovens are not Apollo Half Time ovens, they can combo cook. Just yesterday, for a potluck casserole for the Indiana rally, Nancy had limited time for prep/cook, so she combo cooked where the oven alternates using microwaves with convection cooking. Worked great - 20 minutes she said!

Don't fear the induction and convection appliances - they're great, you just need to embrace them.

Thanks Anita and others for sharing your cooking stories.

GETnBYE

We only have the convection oven in the RV - same for the last few coaches.

When convection backing, when possible, we use cooking dishes that can fully rotate in the oven. Like Dave, we also leave the glass plate in and use the metal riser rack. Works great!

Sometimes though, we have a long pan in there that will not rotate. For those, we add the metal rack the spans the width of the oven at about the mid-point, vertically. We usually do rotate the cooking dish one or more times during cooking when the dish cannot rotate on it's own.

Many times, I've reheated leftover friend food (chicken tenders, pizza, French fries, onion rings etc. using convection. I generally use the wide metal rack and put the food right on the rack so the hot air can flow around the food. The exception is pizza. When cooking or reheating that, I use a round pizza pan with holes in it and set it on the metal riser rack and let it spin.

For baked goods such as cookies, muffins, biscuits and similar, we ALWAYS check for doneness on the short end of the recommended cooking time and it's usually done then. For casseroles and such, it seems to ALWAYS take way longer than package or recipe directions. I generally plan for 90 to 120 minutes of cooking time for that sort of thing.

Bear in mind also that while these new ovens are not Apollo Half Time ovens, they can combo cook. Just yesterday, for a potluck casserole for the Indiana rally, Nancy had limited time for prep/cook, so she combo cooked where the oven alternates using microwaves with convection cooking. Worked great - 20 minutes she said!

Don't fear the induction and convection appliances - they're great, you just need to embrace them.

Thanks Anita and others for sharing your cooking stories.
Thanks Jim for all of those tips on the convection oven. That is just the type of info I have been looking for. I plan to copy, paste and print it out for reference.
Just to be clear, we can microwave with the metal racks in the oven?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW be sure the outside vent is open when using the convection oven or it can overheat the food. Don't ask how we know.

GETnBYE

BTW be sure the outside vent is open when using the convection oven or it can overheat the food. Don't ask how we know.
Yes, we did open the vent first thing. We had a Bunch of people tell us to do that. Not sure if we would have known to otherwise. With as many stickers as i have had to try to remove, that is one they might want to have a sticker for. I'm guessing you would have liked to have had a warning sticker too.

jbeletti

Anita,

You'll want to consult the manual to be certain on the use of middle rack while microwaving, but I know you can combo cook (micro and convection) with the round riser rack on the glass tray.