New Dodge Ram

5erWonk

Now that I've gotten over the trama of my transmission failing I'm doing what every good red blooded American man would do, I'm shopping for a new Dodge Ram.

I have always regretted my '06 not having the exhaust brake and not being 4x4. My dealer has two '08 2500 4x4's on the lot with 3500mi. One a Mega Cab, the other a quad, both fully loaded. Now that our kids are gone I lean towards the Quad Cab. Does anybody know if the ride of the shorter wheelbase is much different than the Mega when not loaded.

My second dilema is possibly moving up to to a one ton. Who can tell me if there are any differences between the 3/4 and the 1 ton other than one leaf spring and 4,000lbs of trailer capacity. From the specs I'm looking at for the SRW models, the tires and brakes are the same for both.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Jimmyt5

I moved from a Ram 2500 to a Ram 07 3500 quad and see no difference in the ride.
The driving is a whole lot of difference. 6.7 power,6 speed,exhaust break, much different truck then the 04 2500.

beardedone

Beardedone
Ditto. No difference in ride at all. I had the 2500 QC and later regretted not getting the 3500 because of legally carrying the extra weight. I put air bags on which equalled the 3500 however that is not very legal if get into a jackpot over the weight such as an accident.

lamontagne

There is vary little difference in the two trucks, both have the 11.5 ring & pinion 1 5/8'' axels, 35 gallon fuel cell, and a great ride I just love mine, My wife drives ours dailey. We pull A Bighorn 3055 and I get around 12- 14 miles per gallon.

sgtbigb

New Dodge Tk

I love the Mega Cab, The additional rm is very handy. Dodge with exhuast bk is great. Get the navigation system, its great!:D

beardedone

Beardedone
Well I came home with my new one today. It's a Dodge Quad Cab Diesel Dually with the longbox. I got a loaded Laramie and love it. I was very surprised on the drive from Lethbridge to Red Deer, Alberta it rode nicer than my 04 2500 QC Diesel. That made my wife happy! Now I have to learn about all the gizmos. The fuel economy wasn't great, 15-16 mpg, travelling at 110 kph (70 US) but of course that is brand new and only by the overhead. It will take a thousand km to know what it is going to end up as. Get the new hitch on Monday.

BluegrassMan

Congrats on the new Laramie...as for me, my mileage still sucks 11.2 solo. I still only have a little over 5000 mi on it. I'm hearing it won't get much better. On the other hand the truck is heavy on it's own, over 8000 lbs. and 4:30 gears.

beardedone

Beardedone
Well my new truck "Midnight" runs like a charm. I just did a trip (truck and me) into Northern Saskatchewan and it was sure nice with the sat. radio Where I went there is no radio at all or cell coverage. Rained all the way up and got muskeg clay all over it. Big wash job. Got my first stone chips to boot. The best thing was the fuel economy. I put 2000 Km on it so it was a nice break-in drive. I know you don't have to do that but I wanted to take it on a nice steady drive to see if it kind of set the fuel economny range on it. Well by the time I got home I was hitting 20 mpg (US). We are pretty happy so far. Chances are it is going to get even better. My speed was 98 km per hour except going through towns (and that didn't take long).

BluegrassMan

Guys:

I just came back from a 1100+ mile trip Monday. This time was just Solo, I'll have to remortgage the house to do a TOWING trip. Ha Ha! I got a rise in my MPG 1-1.5 increase in my MPG. I'm up over 12 mpg now, a few more miles more it might loosen up a little more. I'm up to around 6300mi now.