Wall Thickness

Does anyone know how thick the outside wall is on the bedroom slide. I would like to install a small shelf above the bed above the headboard of the bedroom slide. I would need to put a couple of screws in the wall but I don't want to put a screw thru both the inside and outside wall. I'm wondering if there is insulation between the two walls. Does anyone have any other method of attaching the shelve other than screws.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

sJv

Does anyone know how thick the outside wall is on the bedroom slide. I would like to install a small shelf above the bed above the headboard of the bedroom slide. I would need to put a couple of screws in the wall but I don't want to put a screw thru both the inside and outside wall. I'm wondering if there is insulation between the two walls. Does anyone have any other method of attaching the shelve other than screws.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

According to the brochure and construction booklet, the walls are composed of 2" square aluminum tubing for the studs with rigid foam between. I would think you would want to screw into the aluminum studs and not the styrofoam. Will a stud finder see the studs?

-steve

Forrest Fetherolf

To find RV aluminum or wood wall studs, I use a stud finder from Harbor Freight that will detect moisture, studs, voltage, and metal.

Forrest

Handy

A Florida camper
Bedroom shelf

I put a small shelf above the bed in my bighorn and didn’t have to use any screws in the wall. I used an oak board about 20 inches long and 71/2 wide. I put poly on it then added a flat plate about 10 inches long, 6 inches wide and 1/8 thick on the back edge of the board. I had to notch out the plate in order to miss one screw holding the headboard to the wall. All I had to do was slide the board with the plate on it down between the headboard and the wall. I then had to put a thin shim stick between the wall and the plate. This made it level and nice and tight. It has been up there for a year now and I have a place to put glasses and the clicker for the TV

Thanks for the information. Handy, that's what I want to do have a spot for the remote, alarm clock and such. Hey Forrest I'll have to check out Harbor Freight. I didn't realize that there was a stud finder that would locate aluminum studs.

I have it all made but I need to stain it and varnish it. It will be 36" long by 51/2" deep. It has a 3/4" ledge all around it to keep the items from falling off. It will mount on the wall by 2 - 90 degree wood brackets. It probably weighs about 2 to 3 pounds. It will hold 2 remotes and an alarm clock. I'll take pictures after I stain and varnish it hopefully this weekend. I also have another project to do soon, putting plexiglass on my screen door.