AlpenLite - Out of Business

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I looked at an Alpenlite trailer several years ago BH (before Heartland) and was very impressed with it. It had the largest refrigerator I have ever seen in a trailer-a huge Amana with a bottom freezer but it is no longer an option. Of course, now that they are out of business, it is a moot point.

Sad to see another company go under.....

billd

It is sad, but I dont think the RV industry has seen the last closure of a mfg. So far we have had National RV, Travel Supreme, and now Alpinite. The money crunch and the rise in costs is stopping peoples spending, and an RV is a nice to have, not a need to have.

Bill

StevieWonder

I dont think the RV industry has seen the last closure of a mfg.

I'd just about guarantee that. Ditto on the recreational boat builders. Stuff like playtoys (motorcyles, ATVs, etc) can't be far behind.

I just had my swimming pool remodeled with new quartz plaster, new flagstone coping and new ceramic tile. The pool contractor said he's lost 6 new pool contracts because the owners couldn't get financing and they all had credit scores over 700! He said he's living on remodels because the owners are paying cash rather than financing.

I saw the other day that credit card balances in CA and FL are up 20-25% over last year. People are paying their every day bills on credit. It's a matter of time until the **** hits the fan on credit issues other than variable rate mortgages. But the stock market is up 1.25% today even if I think they are whistling through the graveyard.

azbound

I read somewhere recently that a big part of the RV sales boom was driven by Baby Boomers. There were taking out home equity loans and buying RV's. Know many of them are hurting as the home they borrowed against isn't worth the combined totals of the mortgage and the equity loan. This will also have a dramatic effect on future RV sales. The industry is in for some lean times and only the strong may survive. Those building poor quality Rv's may be gone soon.

StevieWonder

You're right and all that would seem to add up to a pile of impending repo's and some sweetheart deals on "lightly used" units. Just like regular homes, IF that scenario does come to pass it would mean values of used units could drop precipitously. :(

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I met a guy a couple of weeks ago that got a 'reverse mortgage' on his home - bought a new SOB and a boat. - Sad, huh. :(

Uncle Rog

Rough Road Ahead.....

Good morning, my wife sells REO property, it's 07:35 here and they have already picked up 7 more homes this morning!..........They have 400+- listings, from 100k to 800k+!...............
Within a 10 mile radius from where I am sitting there are at least 20 RV dealers with 10k+ units for sale, if you increased the radius to 60 miles the total would be well over 100k!..........Something has to give......
The mortgage/ lending / building industry has really created a problem by putting people into houses / rv's and other things that they could not afford.............
The biggest problem, I see, is that young people do not earn enough or save enough to ever own anything, mostly due to lack of education. The kids in my office think that the government will take careof them, HA!
Sad story.......................

Uncle Rog

Stevie, I could easily live in Furnace Creek for 5 mos out of the year..........
Just about my favorite place.............
The $100 houses are old / small / in need of repair and pretty much in Indian country..........
The same house a couple of years ago would have been $280 or so...........
When people realize they are losing their place they some times tear 'em up pretty good..............others just move out and leave 'em pristine.............

BluegrassMan

Back when I bought my GC, my dealer WAS going to drop Alpenlite as his high line and go with Landmark. He then decided NOT to, He only sold one Landmark "MINE", told Heartland he didn't want to persue their line. Now I bet he wishes he took on Heartland product.