Heartland RV Rookie Observation

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I just recently purchased my first RV ever, a 2009 Heartland Cyclone 3950. Between January 13, when I ordered it at the show and March 8, when I picked it up - I discovered this forum and read nearly every post ever posted. I have learned so much, I can't remember it all! :) Thanks to all who have posted their problems, solutions, mishaps, discoveries, modifications, etc. I just thought I had checked out RVs. Had I found this forum prior to purchasing, I would have done a couple of things different - like taken a factory tour and learned more about TVs and towing weights (it seems that I get to get a bigger truck now:D, and I'll tell DW when it's time for her to know!;))

I have noticed there are many times on here that someone will state - 'I don't know why they don't do this at the factory so we wouldn't have to.' or something similar. Aside from outright errors or defective equipment - yes, there are many things they could do different at the factory. They could add this or change that, only to (most likely) have someone else comment - 'They should have left it the other way, I don't know why they changed it.' They do listen and they do make changes in design, but I think when we buy an RV - knowing it doesn't have a table here, or a door there, or a window, or a sink, or a tub, or a genset, or a whatever - why chastise and blame the factory? We bought it!

The fact remains, there is something about every model, that everyone of us would change to suit our desires. Your model wouldn't do for me; my model wouldn't do for you. It is for this reason they offer many different models from one end of the spectrum to the other. TT, 5er, weekend use, fulltime(not really;)), toy haulers, spacious, tiny, etc. Whatever we are willing to spend - we can get it! The factory has many standards that are options with SOB. They then have options and features that are unavailable on SOB. SOB may have features unavailable on a Heartland.

By what I read here, Heartland has made numerous changes for the better in the short time they have been around. Problems I have read about in earlier posts do not even exist on my rig. Factory corrected! I'm not saying my Cyclone is perfect, but IMHO it is the best model out there for the features it has - for me!

RVs are similar to Harleys: :D You buy the model you want, get the options you want, and then, if you so desire - customize it even more to fit you even better. Add this or remove that. Make it yours.

Even with all the years I spent looking into RVs and comparing, and without taking the factory tour, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we have the best for the bucks! Just my $2! (Not $.02, inflation - you know!):cool:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I guess the only comment I'm going to say is well put and couldn't have been said any better . Way to go HT.....Now you can tell us how you really feel.:D......Ken

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The majority of us are more concerned about finding stuff that came out of the factory incorrect. From bolts in the slides to un connected coax cables. I'd just like to see what I paid hard earned money for...not spend weeks in the shop because somebody didn't do their QUALITY CONTROL.

HappyKayakers

Ditto to what Lefty said. The dealer may fix it for free but we still lose time taking it there and ever higher dollars for diesel/gas to pull it there.
All that being said, I'd say we came out better than many other folks we've talked to or horror stories we've read about on rv.net

Cooper

HT I agree well put. I have modified almost every part of my Golden Gate but, I still would have bought the same unit again.

azbound

My traveling buddy bought a NUWA Champagne last summer and his unit is sitting shop next to mine with warranty issue no worse or better than my 2008 BH. I still believe that if man built it at wont be perfect. The real test is how well the manufacture stand behind his product. And I don't believe any of us has a complaint there.

red4re

The majority of us are more concerned about finding stuff that came out of the factory incorrect. From bolts in the slides to un connected coax cables. I'd just like to see what I paid hard earned money for...not spend weeks in the shop because somebody didn't do their QUALITY CONTROL.

I agree. You can't please everyone and Nobody makes the perfect camper. That being said, I took delivery on a new Sundance back in late March. I used it one weekend and everything leaked except the toilet. The inside shower leaked all over the floor and into the basement. The outside shower leaked all over the basement. The sewer flush leaked all over the basement. The kitchen sink leaked under the cabinets. My basement storage has been drenched to the point of the carpet buckling on the ceiling and floor in the basement area. Who knows how the glue and plywood will come through this event. The fitting on the sewer flush was not even crimped correctly. This could have been fixed at the factory if they would just spend the time. The drawer locks were also misaligned and all the drawers in the back open upon traveling. Now my camper is back at the dealer and they have had it for two weeks going on three.

I really like the camper and I hope it can all get fixed correctly. I run my own business and little things like this really tick me off. I am a pretty patient and reasonable guy, but get me riled up and I can be a bear.

Anyway, of all the campers out there, I would still buy this one. The factory just needs to get their water issues straight. I am not the only one that has had water problems.

Hopefully the dealer will get it all fixed and I am giving them one more week to do it. Three weeks is my limit and then I need to go camping and enjoy it. Like I said, we really like the Sundance and just wish we did not have a leaky ARK!

I had a 2002 Montana before this. My Sundance has spent more time in the shop in the first month than my Montana did in 6 years.

red