water problems

I recently put about 2/3 of a tank of water in the rig- no problem- no leaks. Then I take off down the road and water is leaking all over the left side axles. If I stop moving it stops leaking. So I'm thinking the filler tube or the vent tube has come loose. I cut the underbelly and inspect but all appears to be fine. Anyone else have this experience or do you have any ideas?

Forrest Fetherolf

Most likely the fresh water tank vent tubes are leaking as the water slushes in the tank during travel. This has been an ongoing problem since Heartland started building RVs.
The fix is to reroute the vent tubes above the top of the tank as a normal vent should be or install a shut valve on the vent tubes to eliminate leaking during travel. I installed shutoff valves on the 3 vent tubes dangling lower than the tank bottom.

Forrest

Is my only access thru the bottom? That is awfully tight. And do you then have to crawl underneath every time you travel to open/shut each valve?

Forrest Fetherolf

I only open the vent tube valves to drain any old water that might collect in them when draining the entire tank. Usually the 4th of the 4 vent tubes vents at the fresh water tank filler inlet. The only disadvantage of not opening the 3 vent tubes is the possibility of trapping air in the tank when filling the tank full and the trapped air displaces water. Suggestion when filling the tank full would be to raise the front of the RV slightly higher than the rear, allowing air in the tank would exit the 4th vent tube and allow a full tank of water.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Seve, Forrest, I open the vent by the axles when filling the tank. I also use a garden hose water meter, when the vent starts to go off ( arond 68 gals) I close it and stop at 75 gallons. This is a risky manuever and you have to be paying close attention using this procedure. Even though the vent at the fill with go off, with too much pressure you could blow the tank! When I am forced to pull the liner myself I will change things around a little. HL advertised a 75 gallon "system" 65 in the tank and 10 in the water heater. The tank is a 75 gallon model but the vents, as installed, do not allow for a full fill. Steve do a search as much has been posted on this issue...............................

ChopperBill

Is my only access thru the bottom? That is awfully tight. And do you then have to crawl underneath every time you travel to open/shut each valve?
Steve, I took a few screws out of the bottom side of the belly where the vents are and routed the three vent hoses to the area by the sewer dump. Had to put a foot or two in one of the lines to reach. Makes it a lot easier to shut the vents off and on from there.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
My comments

I have had similar problems with my Fresh water tank. The dealer installed a vent tube under the trailer and disconnected the factory vent tube. I purchased a water meter to check the tank. When filling the dealer installed overflow vent tube started to siphon the water out, had to install a shut off valve to stop the siphon effect. Tank still would not fill correctly because it would not drain correctly my concern is when I winterize I want to be able to empty the tank. Now the dealer has pulled the underbelly and installed a low point drain. Which they say should solve the problem it is still at the dealer so I have not tried it. Downside is I have to crawl under the trailer to turn the valves when I fill the tanks, and we really like to dry camp. A real pain. This problem has been on my trailer since day one. Has been in for repair three times plus all the work I have done. My comment is when you pay what you pay for the BH why do you have to do this type of work. Warranty or not it is a hassle and waste of time.
Having said all the we still love our BH and only wish they would get it corrected.
Another problem with tanks is they flat design they are not easy to drain when you dump black water etc. On our SOB trailer we had the tanks were all slopped when you opened the valves swish and you were done.
Regards
Wayne