Motorcycle in 280BH

ash289

I've got a Honda VTX 1300 (8.5 ft. long, about 650 lbs)
How easy or hard is it to get a big bike in 280BH?
Ramp angle OK?
Bottom out going over the hinge?
Stress rating of the tie downs?
How do I figure out hitch weight?
Are you having to add skid resistance to the ramp?
Anyone got pictures of loaded bike?
An MPEG of the loading and unloading process would be great!

CampingJunkie

Hey Ash. Jennifer here from Columbia. Nice to see another member from SC.

We have the 28BHS so I really can't help but Shannon down in Ridgeland has the 280BH. He could probably answer your questions for you. He hauls a golf cart in his. I am sure he will see your post and respond soon.

Jennifer

medic9016

I carry a golf cart in mine. I have not had it on the scales yet, we are pretty sure it weighs over 800 LBS. With my truck it does not even squat the rear springs when loaded. I have a 1200 lbs tongue max on my truck, so I may be close. What I do is lower the front end of the trailer to reduce the ramp angle. On the inside from wall to wall the distance is less than 8 feet. I will get excact width if you need me to. The ramp is already coated with anti-slip. The anchor points are factory installed into the frame, I think they are rated at 1200 LBS each
MIsc162.jpg

ash289

Thanks a bunch. The motorcycle is 8.5 ft. long. It might be able to go in at a diagonal, but will I be able to secure it with the existing tie downs. It's time to ask the factory guys...

medic9016

As much as we like our North Trail, I would look at the Razor TT. I know there is an obvious price and weight difference. But I think it may suit you better. I may be tared and feathered by my North trail buddies, buy I got a call from our dealer last night that a Cyclone with a floor plan we like arrived. I am going to look at it in a few days. The North Trail toy hauler is limited in what it can haul in size a weight.

retroxrider

I don't own a North Trail, but I do own 2 VTX's! BTW you X is probably tipping the scales at closer to 700 lbs with all fluids full ;)
Personally I would NOT tow with the bike at an angle in the trailer. Think about it, now the trailers front to back motion is side to side for the bike. Not much stabilizing the bike side to side. Also, did you think about how to chock the wheels?
Just some things to think about.

ash289

I appreciate everyone's input. We've given up on on the TT. I'm now planing on selling my F150 and get a F250 so that I can make it up the mountain from Ashville to Gatlinburg pulling a 5th wheel. Maybe I'll be able to get a lift for the back of something with a good frame. I don't really want a carport on wheels.