Backup/Rear Camera Systems - What are you using?

jbeletti

Hi folks,

I am contemplating what I will use for a camera system for the rear of my Heartland trailer (one day soon!!).

On my current travel trailer , I use a color camera at the rear of the trailer and a 5.6" color LCd monitor in my Jeep Liberty. I also use a 25' extension in the Jeep and another 25' extension in the frame rail of the trailer to connect the camera to the monitor. The camera gets powered from the monitor. I am using the 56-CH System from RVCAMS.com.

From threads I have read on other forums and a conversation I have had with Tim at RVCAMS.com, it seems that the cameras with built-in microphones connected to monitors with built-in speakers, just may be viable for use between you and your spotter when you are parking the trailer at a camp site. My wife is not too good with a walkie-talkie yet, so maybe this would help us (in addition to the walkie-talkies).

So folks, give me some feedback here as to what you are using for equipment on your Rear/Backup Camera System.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• 462.jpg
    462.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 463.jpg
    463.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 464.jpg
    464.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 465.jpg
    465.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Bed Storage 6in Containers.JPG
    Bed Storage 6in Containers.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 19
  • Bed Storage Empty.JPG
    Bed Storage Empty.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Bed Storage 6in deep.JPG
    Bed Storage 6in deep.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bed Frame Front.JPG
    Bed Frame Front.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Queen Bed 2.JPG
    Queen Bed 2.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Bed Frame.JPG
    Bed Frame.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Queen Bed 3.JPG
    Queen Bed 3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Bed Frame Rear.JPG
    Bed Frame Rear.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 29

jbeletti

Update: Think I've settled on backup camera plan for new 5er

I've pretty much settled on what I want to do for a backup camera setup for the "planned" purchase of the Heartland Landmark Mt. Rushmore.

Currently I use a decent color camera and LCD monitor system from RVCAMS.com. I've been happy with it but now want something a bit nicer.

I hope to upgrade to the Sony camera/LCD setup, also from RVCAMs.com. I'll sell my current system on eBay.

I hope to work with the Heartland factory on prewiring the trailer for the rear camera. My plan is to ship the factory some Carlon low-voltage orange duct (3/4) with my camera cable pre-pulled through the duct. I'd like the duct to be strung above the ceiling within the framework of the roof trusses from the center-top of the rear cap to the front of the trailer down and then out the hitch area.

In the truck, I'll use a 25' cable from the cab out to the rear of the box area to mate the with long cable (65') coming from the trailer.

The Sony system has audio as well and I hope to use it as an aid when backing into camp sites.

Anyone now have or considering doing this sort of a setup in their 5er? I'd love to exchange ideas and experiences.

Jim

57chevyconvt

Seems that it has been a while since this subject was addressed, therefore I would like to revisit this subject since camera and monitor technology have made many advancements, i.e., remote wireless cameras. After visiting with a former Big Horn owner in Ocala, FL last week, I became interested in his backup camera system for several reasons (1) my wife thinks I (we) need one and (2) to monitor traffic that is tailgating the rear of my BH. I would like to hear from you folks what system that has won your approval. The gentleman that I visited with in Ocala had a Peak backup camera system with a 7" monitor. He noted that the 7" monitor was no longer available.

We just return home from a 3000+ mile trip, much of which was Interstate highway. As you know, driving on the Interstate Highway can be challenging because the traffic is traveling at greater speed than I like to drive (62-65 mph). Not knowing how many cars are following behind the trailer when I start to move over to the left lane for merging traffic can be of great concern. Especially when I start to make the move and find that four or five cars traveling at a high rate of speed are lined up to pass my rig. I don't believe that I am alone when it comes to wanting to see what is behind as well as in front when cruising along with a 14k lb. RV in tow.

CliffP

Jim,

Just how good is that picture?

Do you also use it to monitor traffic? How does it work for that?

We'd like to get one down the road. Also thinking about relocating the camera to the truck when not using the camera.

Cliff and Mindy

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I'm interested in what everyone is using or thoughts on some of these units. I'm contimplating a wireless unit that I can move to the bed or the bumper, to aid it hook up of the 5er or my bumper pulled trailers. If the range of the wireless unit is sufficient, I would like to move it to the rear of the trailer to aid in back up. My wife does a good job (love her dearly) but for some reason she just can't read my mind, always seems to be on the wrong side of the trailer, or in a blind spot.

Jamie

brianharrison

Here is a more recent thread on the newer digital wireless Back Up Camera being used on the HL trailers. --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Camera-Option?p=233040&viewfull=1#post233040

Brian

porthole

Retired
I'm interested in what everyone is using or thoughts on some of these units. I'm contimplating a wireless unit that I can move to the bed or the bumper, to aid it hook up of the 5er or my bumper pulled trailers. If the range of the wireless unit is sufficient, I would like to move it to the rear of the trailer to aid in back up. My wife does a good job (love her dearly) but for some reason she just can't read my mind, always seems to be on the wrong side of the trailer, or in a blind spot.

Jamie

Jamie - what is your next rally? I will bring my "Swift Hitch" portable camera for you to try out.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Hey Duane, I am also interested in seeing your "swift hitch" portable camera. Sign us up for a trial as well.:cool:

porthole

Retired
OK, all, I'll pack it up.

This is the kit I am referring too.
http://www.swifthitch.com/default.htm

Although I don't need it for the bumper hitch anymore (the Ford has an excellent back up cam), I still use it occasionally to drop the hitch in the truck from hanging it on the pin box.

I also use it when backing the trailer up to the fence when I don't have a human to to spot.