Plastic wire support belt

slaytop

The plastic wire support strap under the dinette slideout on my Shenandoah broke off at the frame end. The outside end of the belt is looped and is hinged on a pin but the frame end is fastened solid to a metal brace. The frame end flexes at too extreme an angle for the plastic to tolerate a rigid connection. If the strap breaks, the two wires and strap hang under the trailer behind the wheels when the slideout is retracted.

My solution was to use a 3 1/2" bronze door hinge to refasten the strap rather than follow the factory design of a rigid connection that is likely to fail again. I placed a backing strip of aluminum behind the strap at the hinge to help hold the plastic in place. That change should prevent the strap from breaking as long as the hinge swings freely.

Larry

James

Wire Loom Support

My wire loom support under our slide also broke at the non-hinged frame mount. Instead of a brass hinge I used aluminum piano hinge with 1/16th thick aluminum backer and riveted it to the plastic loom support. Works better that orginal installation, which is to short as you described and forced the support to crack and break!! (Poor design):mad: :eek:

slaytop

Hi James,
I used the brass hinge simply because the holes lined up with the original brace. As you described your solution, I was pleased to see that someone else took similar steps to correct the problem.

I mentioned the break at the factory in December and Randy offered me a new support but I declined the offer. A new support would break again just as the first one did. I hope the other side holds up better where the angles are not as severe.

I will attach one photo of my repair.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

slaytop

There have been posts as early as May, 2005 about the problem of the Flex Guard breaking.

Fortunately, for all of us, Lippert has begun to study this matter and are aware of our concerns.

I hope they design a solution and resolve the problem in a fair and timely manner.

Tom of Ypsi

Larry and Jim, Thanks for the ideas. Mime also broke and all I have been doing is tying it back up. This is a temporary fix at best and I have been wondering how to fix it.

Allgyer1

My support belt broke this last week and I was looking for a solution.
I like your brass door hinge solution. Thanks for the information.:)

Racerguy

I have had the same problem only mine has broke in several places, not just where it hinges. I went to Lowes and bought some rubber base board coving. I extended the slide outs, drilled holes thru the plastic and base coving, used tie wraps on the top and bottom, now when I go down the road the plastic isn't rubbing the tires on the kitchen side.

slaytop

Racerguy,
Did your Flex Guard break primarily in the center where the bend is the tightest?

I wonder if Lippert could somehow reinforce the material with imbedded cords similar to tires and fan belts.

Tom of Ypsi

Lippert is interested in the problem. Jim Belletti e-mailed me and asked me to send pictures of my problem to Lippert. I do not have time at the moment, leaving for the Fl Keys in about 1 hour. Hopefully while I am gone they come up with a fix and I will keep trying to monitor this while I am gone if I can find places with WI-FI.

ddj

Lippit wire holder

My holder broke as well on both slides,the dealer didn't want to do anything because it would change the factory design. Emailed Scott at the factory about it and he said this is the first time he heard any trouble with the guard. I'm glad to hear others are having the same problem so maybe they will come up with a fix

James

ddj
If Scott (I assume from Heartland) doesn't know, he is probably the only one there that doesn't know there is a problem with the loom supports. I've been in touch with both Heartland and Lippert and they are aware of the problem. They, Lippert, want me to take pictures of my repair and email it to them.:mad:

ddj

lippert wire support

I fixed my supports by installing a hinge like I read about that others are doing. I hope it works.
ddj

K

Ken Washington

With all this talk about the supports, I took a look at mine and found the one that holds the LP line broke right in the middle. Not a big problem as the LP line almost holds itself up but still broke! Heartland really needs to do something about this problem! Got one ordered though the dealer.
Ken

James

lippert wire support

ddj,
I saw a post where you are selling your 5th wheel, is it because of problems with the coach?

Tom of Ypsi

It sounds like for the rally Heartland can have someone visit all of our trailers and inspect and repair if necessary. Just a thought, anyone else agree?

Scott

Both Heartland and Lippert are aware of the issue and are working towards a more durable fix.

ST

ChopperBill

Thanks Scott! Thats all anyone could ask for. Some company's just ignore these things. Glad you folks stay on top of problems.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That's interesting--look at this

If you go to Heartland's website and venture to the download area http://www.heartlandrvs.com/downloads/BigHornConstructionBookpdf.pdf

Open this link and go to page 12. Here they explain that they use "Flex Guard, a rubber coated spring steel which offers support and protection to vital slideout plumbing, wiring and hoses...
This unique design prevents saging during slideout operation as well as the unnatural bends and stresses that could lead to breakage."

Don't get me wrong, We are very happy with our 3500RL but I must admit that I have concerns with this wire support having read all these issues that people are having.

If Heartland was really using "rubber coated spring steel" I would venture to say that these breaking issues would never had happened. Nevertheless, they are, and hopefully there will be a resolve. While I read alot about poor QC on Heartland's part, I somewhat agree that there is room for improvement based on my own expreience. I do however have faith in Heartland to grow stronger and better in the coming years.

BigBlue

BigBlue
My wire support under the sofa slideout has broken now also. I'll be going to a hardware store to get a hinge. We should be back at our dealer in July so hopefully there will be a manufactuer's solution by then.