SOURCE - 16" rims to replace 15"

StevieWonder

I've got factory 15" alloy rims which I want to replace with 16" rims so I can get out of the el cheapo tire trap.

Anybody have a resource for replacements without having to modify axles and/or suspension ??? I'm looking for bolt-on replacements.

Delaine and Lindy

You might try Southwest Wheel, they are in Dallas Texas. I had problems with Tredit Aluminum wheel cracking. I replaced them with Alcoa Aluminum wheels, they were rated for the G614's by Goodyear, a little pricey but they are awesome, when I sold the Cambridge I let them go, another mistake should have kept the Cambridge. Good Luck.. GBY....

StevieWonder

How much is "pricey" ??? Just curious.

I'm wondering if there are wheels that will fit without having to do something to the suspension/axles.

I was thinking about trying to replace the Chinese bombs with LT rated tires.

Delaine and Lindy

We paid a $1057.00 delivered to us from Dallas Tx to Mission Tx (RGV) ordered on Wed under our awning on Friday. And believe me the Alcoa Aluminum are USA made are awesome and you can actually see the difference in the other wheels they replaced. They were 8 Lug and capacity was 3750 at a 110 lbs per tire, the G614's have a side wall listing of a 110 lbs. The price is not bad comparied to a gal of Diesel and of course they have to make a profit also. GBY....

www.southwest wheel.com

StevieWonder

Thanks. That's very reasonable for aluminum wheels.

Did you replace 15" with 16" or just upgrade existing 16" ???

Delaine and Lindy

The Cambridge came with 16" wheels and didn't have to change anything, just remounted the tires. If I would have had to change the axles I would have gone with 17" wheels and tires. I think the Landmark should have 17" tires and 8,000 lb axles. If your full timing you get lots of weight a carry a lot of things you have to have. GBY....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a FR Wildcat 5er that had 15" Rims. I wanted to change to 16" rims. Biggest problem was the 15" Rims were 6 lug rims and most of the 16" aluminum rims have 8 lugs. I did find 6 lug 16” steel rims at Discount Tire in Garland Texas. Most Discount Tire stores could do the same.

The other thing I had to watch was the distance between the tires and the height under the body of the 5er. I bought the 16” rims and had Michelin tires mounted. The tires were about 1 inch taller than the old tires which took up 1 inch between the tires (1/2” for each tire). Height was not a problem.

One thing you should be aware of is the width of the rims. The 16” rims I purchased had a 6” width. The Michelin tires I had mounted would go on a 6” or 7” rim. If I would had known I would have ordered the 16” rims with a 7” width, however be concerned about clearance before making any purchase.

The tires I now have on my Bighorn are the Michelin LT235/85R16E1 and I feel comfortable with these tires. I also am running the Pressure Pro Monitors.