Landmark (Augusta) owners!!!!!

Delaine and Lindy

Just a heads up, pay very close attention to the 4 door fridge. Make sure they are in the Locked mode at most all times. We just had our doors replaced by Heartland (Thanks) they had a dent and scratches on the doors. Well I or we forgot to check to make sure they were locked before our return trip, and the very first move we now have a dent in the door again. If the doors aren't locked they will come open during travel. Delaine has a temporary fix for now. The right door will will actually hit the counter top when the slides are out. So be very careful, we was told the doors cost $800.00 dollars, should have been made to just replace the skin and not the entire door. The doors are very fragile and are very thin covered. Again Heartland took care of us and we will remember that. But we want be going back to the Dealership or RV repair place again. Things just happened that I don't care for. GBY.....

jtcfishing

Hello from your neighbor in Tn. I am from Lyles .I also ordered a Landmark Augusta in Alb. Hope you could tell a little more about your dealer experince I think it may be the same one I am dealing with? Have been waiting 8 weeks and counting for deleivery!:rolleyes:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
WHEW!!!!!!!
I thought that I would be the only one forgetting to lock the refer doors. This happened to me also on our first trip out. Well actually when I got back home from the campground I opened the front door only to see many things all over the floor and then to find a dent in the right side refer door from the countertop where it hit. As you can imagine I really let myself have it. Many words flew and boy it didn't take long for Linda to see it either. Makes me sick everytime I see it now. Very very bummed.

Mark

rcobb

Do any of you have any problems with keeping the refrigerator cold ? On ours the freezer part is fine but the refrigerator is having a hard time staying cold during warm days. We have had it looked at twice but no one can fix it.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
rcobb,
You may want to post your question on the "Ask The Factory" section and I am sure you will get some reasonable response.

On older model Heartland units that has refers that were in slideouts there was a problem with refers not staying cold. The fix I believe was to add a fan to the rear of the refer to help pull air through the rear coils to make it operate more efficiently. I hope that this is no longer an issue with these newer refers. Anyway, thought I would add that for now.

Good luck and keep us informed of what happens,

Mark

rcobb

Mark,

I have 2 fans in the back and one of the repair guys added a third fan just to see if it would help but made no differance. I have talked to Heartland and all they said was to call Dometic which I did. Dometic would not talk to me and said take it in for service. I have a another service guy looking at it now ( ordered a part last friday and still waiting for it to come in ) so will see what happens.

Ricky

theharveys

Locking the fridge doors is tops on my DW's list of things to do before we travel.
What do you mean by the fridge not staying cold? We also have an Augusta with the double door fridge. We just spent a week on Mustang Island where a couple days were over 80 degrees. Our fridge rarely wavered much over 34 degrees (on the fridge display) staying mostly at 33 degrees.
There was one day where it went up to 38, but it went right back down to 33 and pretty much stayed there.

As an aside, I removed the straps which are mean't to hold down the dining chairs and I cut a pool "weenie" into 8" sections and split the pieces down one side and I fit the cutout onto the wood part near the tops of the chairs between the wall and the inside chairs and then on both sides of the outside chairs to cushion between the chairs and between the outside chairs and the kitchen counter. It seems to hold the chairs in really snug and prevents any "rub" damage on the wood. :)

Delaine and Lindy

Well you'd think that would have been the first thing I did since we'd just had them replaced. The first time we were PDI'd I could have sworn the frig locked the opposite way and it does seem backwards and odd that it doesn't latch by just closing it. I have cried, beat myself up and it didn't change the fact I messed up to the tune of 400.00. Hubby correct in warning the door will bump with the slide out too. So be careful. My fix was to get 1 1/4" black foam insulation with one side sticky from Lowes or Home Depot and put it all the way across the frig at the height of the counter top. Actually since it is black and there is a lot of black on frig it doesn't look bad. Better that a dent looks anyway for now. DW feeling pretty stupid in TN but I don't think I will ever forget to lock it every time I open and close the door ever again.!!!!!!!!!!

Cybercamper

Landmark Owner
The 4 door fridge does have an "automatic travel lock". The manual for the fridge states that the latch will automatically lock when the engine is running. I would guess this option is used in motorhomes. I wonder if we could wire this option so when we plug our rig into our truck for travel, the fridge would sense that the engine is running and auto lock. Check page 6 of your refrigerator user manual.

Bob

danemayer

Our 1350 doors came open several times on our first trip, even though we had latched them. The latch vibrated open and the left door was dented when it hit the counter. When we took it in for repair, Dometic declined to cover the problem because they said Heartland is supposed to wire the latch for automatic operation. Heartland agreed and paid to have the wire hooked up and to replace the damaged door.

Hi Ricky,

We are new Heartland owners - we have an 2010 Augusta. We are also having issues with the fridge staying cold and have been told that it is not Heartlands issue, but Dometics. Dometic has told us that it is a design flaw by Heartland. Neither one wants to take responsibility for the problem. We are SOOOOO frustrated. We bought the unit in January and haven't been able to use it. It has been in and out of the shop 3 or 4 times with no fix. Were you able to come up with a solution to the problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gsumm38520, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your refer. A search on this forum may come up with a few ideas for getting your unit to work better. Installation of a baffle near the top vent, making sure that the door seals are sealing, filling the voids at the top of the refer compartment with insulation, adding an extra fan or replacing the existing ones with larger ones and maybe a switch to bypass the fin thermostat to run the fans all the time.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Ricky:
I suggest you search the many (including mine) recent posts on refrigerators. I think that concentrating on back of the fridge venting issues, along with fans installed there, solves a lot of problems. Checking out the excellent resource at RVMobile.com ESPECIALLY the VENTING webpage will help you learn what I learned and how I developed the top vent baffle that is seeming to work well.

Here is a link: http://www.rvmobile.com/tech/Trouble/Index.htm

Good luck!!!

thanks Dave,

We have made all the changes recommended by Dometic. 2 fans, a baffle system, .... Our next thought was to add a fan at the vent to pull the hot air out. Has anyone tried this?

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Yes we have and it has worked.... From talking to others with double door refrig temp problems, it seems like units that have refrig in slideout are the ones that are having the temp problems. We had a deflector and a 3rd fan installed and I don't worry about the temps any more.

lwmcguir

We must be one of the lucky ones as we do have the 4 door model and it works OK. Not great as it takes a very long time to cool down when starting it up or if you leave the doors open for long periods. We learned quickly to open and close the doors as fast as possible. The boiler/heater is just to small for the 13 cubic foot refrigerator as well os some other things you folks have fixed. We can maintain 34 degrees by watching the camper temperature and how long the doors are open. A shorter temperature recovery would be great and Dometic should come up with a fix.

Last edited:

jpdoggett

I quess we are lucky on this also we have a 2011 Landmark Augusta with the four door model and it keeps things cold. when we first start it up we wait till it get down to 34 degrees then we load it and it goes up to 37-39 degrees but then over nignt it goes back down to 34 degrees, so far no problems knock on wood. We have a couple that stay in our park that has a Big Horn and we has had his replaced once and the new one will not cool down