new style scare light

TxCowboy

Scare light is the oval security light with the clear lens. Pry it up carefully from the bottom, if I recall correctly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The porch lite lens should have 4 small screws that hold it on. Well if that is what the OP is referring to.

pegmikef

I always get confused as to what light is referred to as "scare" light. First, I thought it was the motion detector light by the door (comes on, scares perp, right). Then I was told it was the larger round lights high up on each side of the rig. My switch panel calls these flood lights. Now after reading this I have no idea what light folks are talking about. The lights on the side are round, not oval. The only oval light I have is the one behind the stairs.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The scare lights are the lights that are round and high up on the sides. Theoretically you turn them on and the light will scare off bears or other animals. At least that is what was explained to me. They really don't provide that much light but help on the campgrounds that a pitch dark at night.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think our awning LED lights are scare lights . . .

They are so bright that they seem to light up the entire campground! :p

ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerFlagsJuly4-P1000235.jpg

We call it 'The Beacon' as those LED's make it easy to locate our site after dark.

A dimmer switch will be installed during the off season.

Geodude

I have a new Bighorn with the oval shape scare light, any one know how to remove the lense?

There are a couple of tabs, two on the top and two on the bottom of that clear lens. You can use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the lens up but you risk damaging the housing. You can also just squeeze the lens from the top and bottom with your bare hands and the cover will pop off.