Slide Toppers: Should have or like to have?

sig31r

We recently purchased our Cyclone 39500 which did not come with slide toppers. Are they something that we should have or something that can wait until? I just wanted to here what your thoughts are. Thanks.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I wouldn't be without them

I've been thinking I'd like them on my next HL fifth wheel too but after seeing most of them full of water here in MB right now, makes me wonder??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

We like ours. There are several threads on this subject and most that have them really like them and most that don't have them have various reasons for not having or liking them. It is kind of a personal choice.

jnbhobe

Water runs off along with all the leaves, twigs, pine needles, and dirt. No sweeping off the slides either.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have them now and have in the past. Would not be without them.
They do get a bit noisy when it gets windy but I would rather have that than clean the slide roof off every time we move.
When the water pools in them, after the rain I just raise the front of the trailer and the water runs off. Life is good.

Peace
Dave

dewwood

I think the biggest thing about slide toppers for us is that we often stay where there a lot of trees, without the toppers we would have to get up on top of the unit to sweep all of the debris off before we could bring the slides in. I know not everyone stays in the that type of places so would probably not be such an issue for them. I would try it without them for a while and decide if you need them, they can be added anytime.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I think the biggest thing about slide toppers for us is that we often stay where there a lot of trees, without the toppers we would have to get up on top of the unit to sweep all of the debris off before we could bring the slides in. I know not everyone stays in the that type of places so would probably not be such an issue for them. I would try it without them for a while and decide if you need them, they can be added anytime.

Yeah the tree thing is why I'd like them on my next rig. We too prefer and stay many places with some trees.
I used the current conditions as a maybe not situation. The slide toppers my neighbors have on the SOB rigs have certainly not kept up with the heavy heavy rains here the past several couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

If you camp in the woods I would get them, however if you always camp in open areas, I wouldn't.

sengli

One more thing to add. Our big horn has the mega slide, most likely like your cyclone. We have the toppers. That mega slide is so large, and so is its topper unit. Accordingly that one tends to hold water when it rains, due to its size. That topper again due to its immense size flexes when deployed. We were told to keep that one from holding water to insert a inflatable beach ball under the topper after the slide was out to keep it shaped so the water would run off on its own.

Imurphy

To me they are a must have. Disappointed that many trailers don't have them. 5th wheels and TT's are so far behind motorhome s on many fronts. It's embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To me they are a must have. Disappointed that many trailers don't have them. 5th wheels and TT's are so far behind motorhome s on many fronts. It's embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I don't know if the TT and 5ers are that far behind or if it is a price point thing. Many TT and 5ers are bought by folks who are not willing to spend the kind of money that motor homes cost. Therefore many of the amenities that MHs have TT and 5ers don't have.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I understand the concept of them, but after witnessing almost every slide topper (and awnings that were left out) ripped off of most of the RV's in our loop at a state campground during a microburst windstorm, I've decided to not get them.

Funny thing was I was planning on getting one installed (on our previous Heartland trailer) after we got back from that camp out (I figure that was a sign from above).

I carry a step ladder and a long handled push broom . . . however where we typically camp we don't get a lot of stuff collecting on the slide outs.

jimtoo

I had two different brands motor homes before I went to 5er. Neither of the motor homes came with slide toppers. They were an option that could be ordered or installed, but not a standard.

Jim M

Westwind

PlUS - keeps leafs etc off the top of the slide, directs water during heavy rain storms away for the gaskets on the top of the slides. Will keep the hot sun off the slide roof and help - somewhat keeping the RV cooler.

NEG - flexible surface should be cleaned to keep dirt and mold off them, I find dirt, dust, pollen does collect on the slide roof when open - so unless you want to bring that into the camper you need a long handled mop to clean off the roof of the slide or you will what has collected under the awning inside. Slide topper material hat will deteriorate over time and need to be replaced.

It's a personal and financial decision every owner must make, mine came on my Bighorn so my decision was made for me. I would probably get them again, but maybe not white.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had slide toppers on all of our 5th wheels (5 in all) without any major problems. The only time we had a problem with wind noise was on the outer banks and because of the way our camper was parked, we had alot of flapping noise. We just brought that slide in for sleeping. I have seen more people have awning problems that topper problems as far as tearing, etc. Yes, they hold water during rain but evaporates quickly and the tension spring makes them tighten up again. We have the super slide and the topper was mounted slightly higher so doesn't retain that much rain. The problem child is the diner room slide and because of it's depth, it has a tendency to hold more water. I just run a broom under it to run water off and then the tension spring takes over.