Slide out idea for front living slide

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey Heartland, saw this neat little niche made out of a closet in a residential home, but thought this arrangement would be good for one of the opposing slides in the front living design. A small desk, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443903296.874196.jpgshelves and another sitting area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippendale

That would be a great idea, only I would rather see a two drawer file cabinet where the seat is, with a counter top (larger desk area for maybe a printer) across the top of the file cabinet. Also, would rather have upper cabinets with doors on them instead of the over head shelves, and have a light under the cabinets and plenty of electric plugs. Have thought about purchasing a front living unit and pitching one of the couches and putting a desk in it's place, but factory built with proper electricity and lighting would be better.

TravelTiger

That would be a great idea, only I would rather see a two drawer file cabinet where the seat is, with a counter top (larger desk area for maybe a printer) across the top of the file cabinet. Also, would rather have upper cabinets with doors on them instead of the over head shelves, and have a light under the cabinets and plenty of electric plugs. Have thought about purchasing a front living unit and pitching one of the couches and putting a desk in it's place, but factory built with proper electricity and lighting would be better.

George, I'd like that too!!

But many folks seem to shy away from the desk idea. This at least doesn't make the desk be the dominant feature. I agree cabinets might be better than shelves, but a place to display books or photos or knick knacks. Or, possibly a minibar.

You could even still have a small window, possibly.

The problem with the idea of converting is that current front living designs have the couches built in, so there is not a continuous flat floor from the living area to the slide floor. The slide floor is raised about 4-5". There is also not the storage or electrical needed to use as an "office space".

There's great potential here! For a full-timing couple, having theater seats + two opposing couches is too much seating.... Leading to wasted space, that could be used more creatively.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Or the option of buying a FL rig with one of the slides empty. Then you could customize it to your exact needs.

Chippendale

George, I'd like that too!!

But many folks seem to shy away from the desk idea. This at least doesn't make the desk be the dominant feature. I agree cabinets might be better than shelves, but a place to display books or photos or knick knacks. Or, possibly a minibar.

You could even still have a small window, possibly.

The problem with the idea of converting is that current front living designs have the couches built in, so there is not a continuous flat floor from the living area to the slide floor. The slide floor is raised about 4-5". There is also not the storage or electrical needed to use as an "office space".

There's great potential here! For a full-timing couple, having theater seats + two opposing couches is too much seating.... Leading to wasted space, that could be used more creatively.

Erika:

If I have been in a FL rig, I did not pay attention to the front sofas, but the picture looks like it is just sitting in the slide, not built in. Of course as you say, there are no overhead cabinets and I am sure there are no elect. plugs.

I have a Gateway 3300ML and since I am by myself and can only sit in one recliner at a time, I took the recliner by the door out and went to Office Depot and purchased an inexpensive (spelled cheap) black computer desk with an overhead shelf on it where I place my printer. Then I purchased a Walmart office chair of the same quality and stuck them in the slide by the door. There are also built-in overhead cabinets in the slide that I put my incidental office stuff in, and there is a wall plug behind the remaining recliner for the surge protector. I also take a large plastic file box with me when I travel for an extended time, so for the most part, I have what I need and want. The major draw back is that the floor of the slide when open is 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the trailer floor (seems like a foot sometimes) and I have to be careful when moving the chair around that I don't eventually wear out the carpet over that lip. Plus, it would be nice if the desk and chair were not black and matched the other trim better, but I guess that is a small thing. If you figure out a way to make it to Bullard next weekend, I will show it to you, or maybe I can get someone up there to show me how to upload a picture of it into this thread.

At some point, I might want to up grade to the next level of rig, so I keep trying to figure out a way to have my computer out all the time in a different rig. I don't like having to move it off the dining table every time I want to eat, or having to move it off of one of those pull out "desk" drawers under the TV every time I want to turn the TV on. I know you can get the office option in the Newport and also in the BH and BC front bath models, but who wants to spend all their time in a closet. If they would remove the wall and door across the front of the desk/cabinet area, that would work great. Oh well, maybe someday.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Or they could return the full desk/entertainment slide of the older BH3670, like I have. Don't need a wall to wall TV.

TravelTiger

Erika:

If I have been in a FL rig, I did not pay attention to the front sofas, but the picture looks like it is just sitting in the slide, not built in. Of course as you say, there are no overhead cabinets and I am sure there are no elect. plugs.

I have a Gateway 3300ML and since I am by myself and can only sit in one recliner at a time, I took the recliner by the door out and went to Office Depot and purchased an inexpensive (spelled cheap) black computer desk with an overhead shelf on it where I place my printer. Then I purchased a Walmart office chair of the same quality and stuck them in the slide by the door. There are also built-in overhead cabinets in the slide that I put my incidental office stuff in, and there is a wall plug behind the remaining recliner for the surge protector. I also take a large plastic file box with me when I travel for an extended time, so for the most part, I have what I need and want. The major draw back is that the floor of the slide when open is 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the trailer floor (seems like a foot sometimes) and I have to be careful when moving the chair around that I don't eventually wear out the carpet over that lip. Plus, it would be nice if the desk and chair were not black and matched the other trim better, but I guess that is a small thing. If you figure out a way to make it to Bullard next weekend, I will show it to you, or maybe I can get someone up there to show me how to upload a picture of it into this thread.

At some point, I might want to up grade to the next level of rig, so I keep trying to figure out a way to have my computer out all the time in a different rig. I don't like having to move it off the dining table every time I want to eat, or having to move it off of one of those pull out "desk" drawers under the TV every time I want to turn the TV on. I know you can get the office option in the Newport and also in the BH and BC front bath models, but who wants to spend all their time in a closet. If they would remove the wall and door across the front of the desk/cabinet area, that would work great. Oh well, maybe someday.

Wish I could be in Bullard, but not going to make it tho time. The new Landmark Arlington may have solved it with the desk area by the kitchen. However, I still see greater potential making a working/display area in the front living.

Someone had posted pics of their empty front living slide as they were trying to build a desk in that area, and that's where I saw the raised platform with no plugs. They were trying to build a desk and drawers around it, but then you have to raise the height of the living floor to be able to roll a chair in that space.

I have the discontinued ElkRidge 34QSRL which has the full desk/entertainment center in the slide like John's Bighorn. I love it. (We just went to a 40" tv and it's plenty big!) I found a chair mat on Amazon that was 30x48, perfect size for my space to use under my desk chair. (Trimmed slightly).

But like George, one day I want to upgrade, and require a desk. And a place for my 11x17 printer. ;)