broken washer

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Several days ago DW was washing a load of clothes and saw water coming from under the washer. We have a separate washer and stackable dryer. The washer is a Majestic brand we've had about 9 years. It has given us great service. Well, after taking the door and door frame off I was able to get the washer and dryer out of the closet. DW did clean up the water. The washer leak was coming from under the washer not any of the connections. After removing the brackets holding the dryer to the washer we took the dryer off of the washer. I then removed the two screws holding the top on the washer and removed the washer top. I was able to see the hose running from the soap dispenser to the drum was torn.

After making several telephone calls and some time searching the web I found the hose was no longer available. Also found out that a company named Pinnacle now owns Majestic and Pinnacle is still selling RV washer, dryers, and washer/dryer combos. Since I was unable to get a replacement hose and the hose connection to the washer drum is via a specialized grove in the hose we decided to purchase a new washer.

Looking at PPL Parts we found a Pinnacle Washer/dryer combo on sale (almost 50 percent off) and will pick it up on the 6th (Tues). Now all we have to do is change them out. BTW we do have a used dryer that we MAY be willing to part with. Move on that later.

Anyway, if you are looking for a super great deal on a new washer/dryer combo for the RV check out PPL in Houston. That sale is on during October. BTW - we don't work for PPL or get anything out of this just passing on info.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Let us know how going down from two units to a combo works out. Many folks don't seem like them. I don't have either, but would like a setup in my next rig. This coach I need the closet space for clothes and other stuff. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Jmgratz, did you install a drain pan under the washer/dryer? That may be a consideration since you already have the units removed.

When we had our stacked washer/dryer installed in our new Key West, the PDI scheduler (a dealer guy) swore to me that a drain pan is NOT part of the OEM installation.

Even though it's going to cost me, I'll probably put a drain pan in some just to prevent water damage since the stackable washer/dryer combo prohibits access to the faucets behind them.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I guess the size of the w/d space has shrunk considerably since 2011. I have a drain pan and I can easily reach behind the w/d to turn off the water supply if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Here is the issue ref the drain pan. We bought a drain pan prior to installing the new combo unit. Before purchasing the combo unit we installed the drain pan under the stackable. After that when running the stackable the drain hose came out of the drain hole and water went all over the floor. We were hoping the drain pan would have caught it but it did not catch it all. That caused some of the water to go under the drain pan. Solution was to remove the closet door, part of the door frame, remove the stackables, remove the drain pan and throughly clean and dry all of the spilled water. What a PITA. Also the drain pan does not have a front lip on it. It does come with one that you have to install. We did not install the front lip as with the lip on it blocked the coin cleanout access.

Now to the new combo unit. Advantages - We can access the water cutoffs, the dryer vent, and the drain hose without moving everything. Disadvantages - You cannot dry clothes when washing a load. Sidenote - We had a combo unit prior to having the stackables and got the stackables so we could dry when washing. We have discovered having access to the water cutoffs, and drain hose are more important than being able to use both units at once. Also the new appliances are much better at doing the job than the ones were 9 years ago.

Although we have not washed a load in the new unit we did run it though a wash cycle and it was much quieter and seems to work much better than the washer that was replaced. I will post pics later. BTW - PPL had quite a few in stock when we picked up the new one yesterday.

farside291

We have the 2014 LG combo 2.3 cubic foot. Dont fill more than half way or your clothes will be seriously wrinkled. Towels and such no problem. Takes on average 2 - 3 hours per load. If you pull the shirts and pants out when their still damp, give them a couple of sharps shakes and hang them to finish drying the results are better.

jmgratz

Thanks. We used to have a combo and found the clothes come out more wrinkled than with a stand alone dryer. But the DW usually hangs out my shirts and pants to dry anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry it came out sideways but if you click on it, it will display okay. This is what we installed.

Attachments

• new washer4.JPG
    new washer4.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 49

sfcord123

My husband and I have had no luck with pinnacle washers. We had our washer replaced once already...our second washer broke within one year (2 broken washers within one year). We had a stackable unit.