What were they thinking (factory)???

avvidclif

The outside speakers on my rv has always sounded terrible, from the git-go. Didn't worry about it and figured I would replace them one day. This weekend I bought another pair of decent speakers, not made in china. I removed the junk and noticed that the factory speaker only had 2 screws (out of 4) that were screwed into anything. Started looking and measuring and the questions started. I found out why. The speakers had a 4 bolt pattern on a 5 1/2" circle, so they cut a (drumroll) 5 1/2" hole in the side. You can only get 2 adjacent screws to go into anything, the other two are in air. The speaker was held in by the two bottom screws and caulking. Besides that the speakers don't have a regular "cone". It is a flower petal looking thing that isn't attached to anything except the coil. You could actually look in and see the insulation in the wall by looking around the flower petal. Not a very waterproof design. I'll get some pictures when I get back onto the project.:confused:

silvasp

I noticed the holes in my Northtrail (interior) weren't "round". I'm considering going to a 6" X 9" speaker configuration. Probably will on the outdoor speakers too now.
Maybe even a larger diameter round speaker.

I don't think they use a hole saw. Just eyeball it.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am going to replace all of our speakers this summer. I am not looking forward to the outside ones. I am comforted by the fact that if you use enough silicone it is like having all of the screws installed correctly! :cool:

MurrayN.

Not to hi-jack this thread but are there any single DIN size DVD players out there to replace the factory system with? I've looked around but most don't have video output or are the double DIN size.

lynndiwagoner

I'm not sure those outside speakers are supposed to supply "high fidelity" sound, but I could be wrong. Maybe if you wanted louder/better sound you could put a boom box inside the storage area pointing out. I think they make some nice marine speakers that might work out better. I agree that the hole should have been cut correctly. The part about seeing the insulation past the speaker is odd, maybe the material connecting the center of the speaker to the frame is clear plastic? Otherwise I don't see what would prevent water from blowing into the rig. Let us know.

GOTTOYS

Mine are both shot. I plan to cut some aluminum and cover the holes then place the grills over them. It's a pain to run inside to adjust the radio when it drifts off the station like it always does. I can use a portable radio outside and it will sound better besides.

avvidclif

I'm not sure those outside speakers are supposed to supply "high fidelity" sound, but I could be wrong. Maybe if you wanted louder/better sound you could put a boom box inside the storage area pointing out. I think they make some nice marine speakers that might work out better. I agree that the hole should have been cut correctly. The part about seeing the insulation past the speaker is odd, maybe the material connecting the center of the speaker to the frame is clear plastic? Otherwise I don't see what would prevent water from blowing into the rig. Let us know.

The speakers are open. There is no clear plastic. And yes rain could go in without a problem. No longer a problem as they are in the trash and replaced by solid marine grade which actually sounds like music coming out.

busted2341

Not surprising and a good question for the factory. On my landark I found so many "little" shortcuts, as in missing screws, water leaks caused by not crimping properly and just these little "make it fit and staple" around door jams. I posted and let the Rep know how I felt about their QA. Never a reponed and from what I am reading no impact. With the cost of every brand, I would think by now the factory would listen to us. It's already cost them qite a bit just in warranty work on mine not allone what I have had to pay for service callls because I fulltime. Good luck!

Agree with you that quality control is seriously lacking. I bought a new Landmark in 2012 and the first year was a nightmare with warranty work on windows and cabinetry. Yes, had leaks as well! We did a factory tour in the fall of 2012 and mentioned the QA issue and suggested that for a Luxury brand the product came off the line with far too many manufacturing mistakes or oversights. It seems the Company ignores the matter for whatever reason (cost?) and to have it discussed at the executive level is next to, if not impossible to accomplish. Good luck and have a lot of patience. There will be more to come I am sure.

Geodude

I replaced one of those exact speakers on our last Heartland 5er. Cost? $10. So quality sound lives somewhere else. I had plans to upgrade those outdoor speakers but they are also in such a bad place, with little separation that I won't bother. I used a Bose Coloursound speaker in the basement instead, which sounds much better.

brlr2000

I replaced one of those exact speakers on our last Heartland 5er. Cost? $10. So quality sound lives somewhere else. I had plans to upgrade those outdoor speakers but they are also in such a bad place, with little separation that I won't bother. I used a Bose Coloursound speaker in the basement instead, which sounds much better.

Did you interface the Bose Speaker with the existing Heartland Music System?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The outside speakers are basically useless as not only are they junk speakers, but also are not installed in a place where we might sit outside and want to have music playing.

I think the only reason they are where they are in our Prowler is because they just happen to be mounted to the same slide wall where the entertainment center is located inside and it is an easy speaker wire run.