Insurance

mjonesday

If anyone is happy with their insurance for their 5er, would you recommend your insurance company to me? We live southern Cali.

rxbristol

There are several writing for full-timers now...Progressive, Geico, Blue Sky, Safeco, Allied, National Interstate, Foremost, National General, State Farm (will have a national plan this Feb), and others. I'm following, with interest, the latest two accidents to see how their insurance companies treat them. I did find out that personal contents are not covered for theft. I currently have Geico...great rates.

mjonesday

Thanks for the info, I think I'll start with Geico and go from there. Do you know if they have replacement coverage?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are with progressive and have full timers coverage and have been good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I just switched to foremost and we have an agreeded upon value. I also see they have full timers coverage too

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Progressive full-timers coverage. I've been very happy in my dealings with them over claims.

rxbristol

Thanks for the info, I think I'll start with Geico and go from there. Do you know if they have replacement coverage?

This will vary by insurance company. Geico has replacement coverage for the first three years from the purchase date for a new rig and then four more years at purchase cost. After that, they depreciate the rig at market cost.

rxbristol

In my insurance research, it seems that "Full-Timers" insurance adds personal liability insurance like you would have for a SB home. Also found that National General Assurance Co (Good Sam) offers replacement coverage for 5 years and then purchase price protection for as long as you own the rig.

MCTalley

In my insurance research, it seems that "Full-Timers" insurance adds personal liability insurance like you would have for a SB home. Also found that National General Assurance Co (Good Sam) offers replacement coverage for 5 years and then purchase price protection for as long as you own the rig.

We're about to find out how well all that works out.

NHCelt

We have National Interstate through Explorer agency...which is a subsidiary I think. They offer total replacement coverage and depreciating deductibles. We have never filed a claim but have heard good things.

Celt

MCTalley

sounds like a story goes with this

If you're talking about my comment, yes, I was referring to our accident back in late-September. At the time, we thought our trailer might be totaled due to frame damage. Turns out it is repairable.

So, as a follow-up to the thread, we are almost exactly at six months after the accident and the last I heard our trailer was being repaired by Lippert and should be done "by the end of the month" (that month being February). I need to call them up and find out. Lack of communication seems to plague all aspects of the RV repair industry.

Bones

If you're talking about my comment, yes, I was referring to our accident back in late-September. At the time, we thought our trailer might be totaled due to frame damage. Turns out it is repairable.

So, as a follow-up to the thread, we are almost exactly at six months after the accident and the last I heard our trailer was being repaired by Lippert and should be done "by the end of the month" (that month being February). I need to call them up and find out. Lack of communication seems to plague all aspects of the RV repair industry.

Malcolm,
Will you be stuck with two camper payments?

RVFun4Us

We have National General Insurance which offers replacement coverage. Many insurance companies do not offer this replacement coverage and that was a factor in my decision.

MCTalley

Malcolm,
Will you be stuck with two camper payments?

Technically, yes. However, the loan on the trailer in the shop is paid so far ahead that the next payment due date is in mid-2017.

- - - Updated - - -

We have National General Insurance which offers replacement coverage. Many insurance companies do not offer this replacement coverage and that was a factor in my decision.

Actually, several do. We have Blue Sky on our current rig and their replacement coverage is actually heads above what NG offers. NG will price out a similar replacement trailer then offer you that much should your current rig be totaled. That's not a bad thing.

Blue Sky takes the amount you paid for your rig at purchase and, on each year anniversary, increases that amount by 5.5%. Should you have to do a replacement claim, they'll just straight out send you that amount as a check. (For example, for a $50,000 trailer, you'll get $50,000 the first year, $52,750 the second year, $55,650 the third, etc. up to five years.)

I believe Progressive also offers replacement value (we got a quote from them when buying the current trailer).

rxbristol

Technically, yes. However, the loan on the trailer in the shop is paid so far ahead that the next payment due date is in mid-2017.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, several do. We have Blue Sky on our current rig and their replacement coverage is actually heads above what NG offers. NG will price out a similar replacement trailer then offer you that much should your current rig be totaled. That's not a bad thing.

Blue Sky takes the amount you paid for your rig at purchase and, on each year anniversary, increases that amount by 5.5%. Should you have to do a replacement claim, they'll just straight out send you that amount as a check. (For example, for a $50,000 trailer, you'll get $50,000 the first year, $52,750 the second year, $55,650 the third, etc. up to five years.)

I believe Progressive also offers replacement value (we got a quote from them when buying the current trailer).

After the Talley's experience, I opted for Blue Sky due to their excellent replacement coverage.