Goldway Tire Failure

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We fell victim to the Goldway tires yesterday. Its just good we spotted the bubble in the side wall before it blew. I figure we had less than 5000 miles on them (all highway miles and about half just from the drive to deliver it to us). We are out of our one year Heartland warranty by about 6 weeks.

I searched for the makers of Goldways online, but I couldn't find out who to contact with a problem. Naturally it is a Chinese company, but they must have a main US distributer. Also found out that the Goldways don't have steel side walls. Not a big surprise they bubble when they aren't reinforced in the sidewalls.

We kept the bubbled one in case the tire company or Heartland wants to look at it. Who should I contact to seek some kind of reimbursement. We just bought 4 new Goodyear tires because we aren't willing to trust Goldways and our tire dealer had nothing good to say about them either.

Kristy

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My Goldways developed bubbles on 3 of the 4 tires with less than 800 miles on them. I called Heartland and asked about them and they said the distributer is a company out of Memphis Tenn. by the name of Voma . I contacted them when my tires went out and they reimbursed me for the cost of my new tires. I didn't get Goodyears so am not sure what their limit will be. The company reps name is Jim Vesta, ( cell ph.# (574) 596-2553). I dealt with him, initially, and then dealt with the gal in the office. She was a bit difficult, at times, so my recommendation is to deal thru Jim. I wasn't sure she was going to approve my reimbursement, so I called Jim and he contacted the owner of the company, who approved my payment. The whole process, from the time I noticed the bubbles, until the time I had a check in my hands was about 3 weeks. Considering some of the horror stories that I have heard on here, regarding tire replacement, I consider that to be excellent customer service. I, sometimes, have a tendancy to strongly express my displeasure with a less than acceptable performance from a product. I did my best to be very civil and temperate in my dealings with Jim, and I think that went a long ways towards them being willing to resolve my situation expediently. Best of luck with your dealings with them, and if you need any more information, just email me and I will be happy to provide.
Fred

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks Fred,
I'll make use of that info and see what they will do for us. We got a really good deal on the Goodyears, so if they reimburse it might cover most if not all the price we paid. It won't cover the wasted Saturday or the aggravation, but that stuff kind of goes with the territory of having RVS and boats.
Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Well, I called Sandra at VOMA Tires today, the US distributor for Goldway tires made when ours were purchased. She is offering $100 for the tire that failed and told me that it was a reasonable amount because, "they aren't name brand tires and that's twice what we made on the sale of the tire."

I tried the number given in a previous post, but Jim Vesta doesn't do that job anymore and he sent me to Sandra.

Is it enough? No :(
Is it even close to what we would be after if the tire had blown while we were driving? Absolutely Not :mad:
Is it better than nothing? A little, but it isn't the result we were hoping for and is less than half of what we paid for the tire we bought to replace the one that failed. :eek:

Heartland, would you have any influence in this matter or is it over?

Kristy

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Kristy:
I am sorry to hear that Jim is no longer in that position. The gal in the office that I dealt with was named Beth. So it would appear that there has been a turnover at that position also. I hope that there is a good resolution to this, for you.
Fred

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Goldway Strikes Again

:eek::eek::eek:Nothing like being 700 miles from home and checking your tires and finding a bubble a foot long on the inside of the good ole Gold Ways.:mad::mad: Probably don't have more than 2000 miles on them. Tried to find a G rated tire in Rockport Tx and the only place could get me a Goodyear tomorrow afternoon for 250.00, felt like it was a little steep. Put the spare on. We're leaving here tomorrow morning and going to Fredericksburg and stay 9 days so maybe I can find something there. I just don't want to head back to Arkansas with the goldways on here. My dealer is checking to see if I can get any credit for the China bombs. I hope Heartland will get away from the China made tires. My other 5er had Goodyear wrangler E's and I run them for 7 years.
Bill

StevieWonder

Check in San Antonio ... better selection than Fredericksburg.

I'm sure Heartland wishes there was another option than the cheapie China bombs.

jimtoo

bsummit, you are coming really close to Three Rivers, Tx while traveling up I 37 to Fredricksburg, wont be out of your way at all if you take the Hwy 59 exit to George West and then turn right on Hwy 281 and go 10 miles to Three Rivers. He is right on 281 in town, 1 block on left past 2nd red light. Stop in and see Chef Moore at Moore's Tire Center in Three Rivers, TX. 361-786-9976, Chef carries Michelin and Goodyear tires and I have found that he is cheaper than Discount Tire. He knows the tire business and does the work himself. He stocks most tires and is a really nice guy, just old retired Navy, and he says it like it is.

Tell him Jim sent you...no maybe you better not. Let me know if you are coming through, I might spring for coffee or tee. 361-449-2601

snuffy

Check in San Antonio ... better selection than Fredericksburg.

I'm sure Heartland wishes there was another option than the cheapie China bombs.

Surely Goodyear would be willing to supply better quality tires at a reasonable price. At least give the customer that option.
The tires are probably the most talked about disappointment and source of frustration, not to mention the damage their blowouts do. Maybe that should be addressed.

bsummit

Jimtoo, I didn't get your reply in time to come by there. We are already at Fredericksburg. Sure wish I had checked this morning before we left Rockport. I would have took you up on the coffee. Maybe next time. Made it ok on up here on the china bombs, checked them each time we stopped. Still got about 600 miles till we get back home. I know I will get one tire while I'm here and then try to make it on home and buy from a friend of mine who has a tire shop. We will be here in Fredericksburg until the 17th.
Thanks for the information Jimtoo.
Bill

jimtoo

Hey Bill, Yep, you missed a good deal with this guy. At least I think so. Anyway, if you stay another week there at Fredricksburg we will be there also. Some friends are going to the festival and gumbo cookoff on the next weekend, 23rd, 24th. www.bbgumbo.com We help them in the cookoffs, lots of fun, lots of work, but we eat good.

If your going to the Branson Rally for Heartland owners we will see you there.

Jim

bsummit

jimtoo, I got the tire replaced here in Fredericksburg, cost me 267.00 for a G614, only one place in town that sold them. We are leaving here Sat the 17th. so we won't get to meet you and not going to be able to make it to Branson either. Got to go back to work, but only have 39 more working days until retirement.
Got a friend back home who owns a tire shop, so we're going to try and make on home to get 3 more tires. Hopefully I will be able to get some credit for the bombs.

Bill