Antenna Jack question

Willi

New to the site, bought our first TT 5 days ago. We have a Trail Runner SLE 22.

On top of many small issues, most I have fixed myself I have one that I cant seem to figure out.

There is an antenna jack by the front bed and 2 antenna jacks in one plate in the AV box by the stereo.

I have been able to get "air" stations at the jack by the stereo but no signal from the jack by the bed. Is this jack for satellite only? Is there an easy way to change it so it goes to the antenna?

Problem 2...I only get 7 stations when I scan, no matter position of the antenna, and yes, power is on. I owned an RPOD for a few days (dont ask lol) and when I scanned with that I got almost 40 stations.

jbeletti

Watching your ATF thread too - sorry for all the issues. You're doing great posting each issue in a new thread in the most relevant forums.

I don't have a diagram on A/V wiring for the TR product. If you have a jack with two F-81 jacks in it, it's likely that one is Antenna/Cable and the other is a Satellite line, though I'm not certain we do satellite wiring for TR.

First thing I'd do is pull the wall-plates and inpect the connectors to ensure they were crafted tight and are snug on the back of the F-81s.

Second thing I'd do is contact Heartland Service tomorrow (877-262-8032) to find out how the coax system is wired.

Willi

Watching your ATF thread too - sorry for all the issues. You're doing great posting each issue in a new thread in the most relevant forums.

I don't have a diagram on A/V wiring for the TR product. If you have a jack with two F-81 jacks in it, it's likely that one is Antenna/Cable and the other is a Satellite line, though I'm not certain we do satellite wiring for TR.

First thing I'd do is pull the wall-plates and inpect the connectors to ensure they were crafted tight and are snug on the back of the F-81s.

Second thing I'd do is contact Heartland Service tomorrow (877-262-8032) to find out how the coax system is wired.
Thank you for your reply jb, I will definitely check the connector and call customer service. I cant imagine they would have made the single jack by the bed for SAT only...but who knows :)

jbeletti

Thank you for your reply jb, I will definitely check the connector and call customer service. I cant imagine they would have made the single jack by the bed for SAT only...but who knows :)

Anytime there is only 1 jack, it's most likely for Antenna/Cable.

When there are two jacks, it's likely one Antenna/Cable and one Satellite. Here again, not sure that we wire TR for satellite. If not - I don't know what the other jack is - unless there's a missing splitter and one line is the source and the other is the input to another location.

Willi

Anytime there is only 1 jack, it's most likely for Antenna/Cable.

When there are two jacks, it's likely one Antenna/Cable and one Satellite. Here again, not sure that we wire TR for satellite. If not - I don't know what the other jack is - unless there's a missing splitter and one line is the source and the other is the input to another location.

The plate in the back by the stereo has two jacks, one is marked SAT.....the one in question is the plate by the bed, it only has one jack and no signal when I scan. There is a jack on the outside of the TT marked for SAT

Plate by stereo, upper jack works with antenna, I get about 7 channels, when I had the RPOD I got close to 40 ?? Antenna booster is powered on.
20151007_224942.jpg

(images got turned when uploading) single jack by bed has no signal when scan
20151007_225000.jpg

SAT jack on exterior
20151007_224857.jpg

Willi

Took our trail Runner out for the first time this weekend, we had only planned to watch one football game...who wants to watch TV while camping with friends anyway? :)

Raised the antenna, powered the amp, scanned channels and not a single station was found. Rotated and scanned several times, no results. We were only 10-15 miles from a major city.

I also live about the same distance from the same city, only south. I can usually find about 7 stations.

Really disappointed in this part of our new TT. I pulled the amp cover plate and found the coax very loose, was hardly threaded on, no change.

Also still have no reception at all from the front jack by the bed. Pulled that plate and found nothing obvious.

Where am I going wrong? Is the Antenna Tek 550 a good antenna? Should I replace it?

As I said in my intro post, I owned an RPod for a few days and when I initially scanned I hit almost 40 channels.

- - - Updated - - -

Also want to add, I called Heartland customer service on Friday, they suggested I replace all the coax ends. Why should I have to do this?
Although very helpful and courteous while answering all of my questions, I still feel disappointed.

When calling a car dealership on a car, would they tell you to replace parts on the car because they may be defective right out of the showroom ?

olcoon

Is this a new camper? If so, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. But of course, when it comes to things like what you're dealing with, I have VERY limited knowledge.

danemayer

Normal warranty procedure is to take the trailer to the dealer for repairs. If they suggested you replace the connectors yourself, it was probably in the context of helping you avoid the trip to the dealer, for your convenience. How helpful would it be if they simply said "take it to your dealer."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Willi

Is this a new camper? If so, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. But of course, when it comes to things like what you're dealing with, I have VERY limited knowledge.

Yes, it is brand new, bought it last week.

I guess I was hoping for others who have had the same problem and could offer some magic fix. If I cant figure it out on my own in the next couple days I will take it up to the dealership.

- - - Updated - - -

Normal warranty procedure is to take the trailer to the dealer for repairs. If they suggested you replace the connectors yourself, it was probably in the context of helping you avoid the trip to the dealer, for your convenience. How helpful would it be if they simply said "take it to your dealer."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good point, it isnt as easy as a car, just hop in and go.

This is a little off topic but just a quick question or some kinda of link please I have a new gateway 3650bh and I'm in a clear open spot and can't get the tv to find a signal on the antenna the red light is on assuming that means the signal booster is on and I've done a auto search air and cable and still nothing and the antenna is up so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong any help please

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unless you have a signal meter to locate the direction to aim the antenna before you scan:

TVsignalFinder.jpg

You may have to re-aim the antenna and scan a few times before you get any channels.

Or try this app:

DTV Antennas

It will tell you which way to aim your antenna for the local stations.

GWRam

This is a little off topic but just a quick question or some kinda of link please I have a new gateway 3650bh and I'm in a clear open spot and can't get the tv to find a signal on the antenna the red light is on assuming that means the signal booster is on and I've done a auto search air and cable and still nothing and the antenna is up so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong any help please

Jeremy1990,
If your 3650bh was made like ours, you will need to take off the face plate where the coax/booster is and pull it out and tighten all the coax connections on the back of the plate, look deeper into the hole following the coax and you will find a splitter, tighten all the connections. Not a single one of the connections were tight on our unit, two were barely holding on. Then try rescan air booster on.

MP_CS

Im not trying ti hijack this thread but I'm curious as to the difference between the SAT and CABLE jacks? My sundance has two jacks outside in the UDC and only one at each tv location, i guess i cant understand why u would need a separate SAT connection. Is it only for HDTV?

danemayer

Im not trying ti hijack this thread but I'm curious as to the difference between the SAT and CABLE jacks? My sundance has two jacks outside in the UDC and only one at each tv location, i guess i cant understand why u would need a separate SAT connection. Is it only for HDTV?

Cable TV and rooftop antenna wiring come together at the signal booster, which is used to amplify weaker antenna signals. Satellite signals will not pass through the signal booster. Also, the splitters for satellite frequencies are different from those use for Cable TV and antenna.

MP_CS

Ok, then the SAT jack in the UDC goes directly to LR tv. The cable from the antenna goes to booster,then into a splitter and then to bedroom tv and LR tv? Why is there only one jack at LR tv?

danemayer

Ok, then the SAT jack in the UDC goes directly to LR tv. The cable from the antenna goes to booster,then into a splitter and then to bedroom tv and LR tv? Why is there only one jack at LR tv?

I'm not familiar with your Sundance floor plan. Maybe the satellite terminates somewhere else.