Interior window valance and shade removal?

gandmrv

The window on the door side slide out of my new key west is broken and has to be replaced. I need tips on removing all the trim inside ie. Valance, mcd shades, etc. So I can access all the screws to the holding ring that secures the window frame. Any tips appreciated

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Interior winow valance and shade removal?

The window on the door side slide out of my new key west is broken and has to be replaced. I need tips on removing all the trim inside ie. Valance, mcd shades, etc. So I can access all the screws to the holding ring that secures the window frame. Any tips appreciated

I've removed my valances and the standard Day/Night shades from most of my windows. To remove the top and side valances, you will have to feel around the edges for the screw heads. Most or all of the screws are hidden under the fabric, so try using a pencil magnet. Typically, they take a #2 Square Drive bit rather than a Phillips. Normally, the side valances will have a screw (or screws) that also hold them to the top valance, as well as lower ones into the wall.

With my shades, they were just attached under the valance with the same screws into the wall. If you're going to remount them after repairing the window, you should be able to use the same screws and holes if you're careful not to tear the wallboard.

Know also that the construction of the valances is flimsy at best and loaded with staples to hold the fabric. When I converted from the shades to the Levelor verticals, I rebuilt the top valances with 1/2" plywood and cannibalized the fabric from the old ones to cover them. I did not replace the side valances.

rxbristol

The valance is held up by two or more screws. It will take some contortions to locate them all. The MCD shades will come off with the valance. If you want to remove the MCD shade first, find the two clips that hold them in place--there is a lip, press down on it with a large screwdriver and it will release the shade.

gandmrv

Thanks for the tips, sounds pretty staight forward. I'd found screws on lower corners but figured there had to be more than that. Going to tackle it on Tue when new window arrives

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk