Trailer Covers - what are you doing this year?

jbeletti

Every fall/early winter, the debate rages on RV.net: To cover or not to cover...

Last year, I helped Jeff put a cover on his Landmark. It wasn't a custom cover for his Golden Gate, but it fit "pretty well".

I had a hybrid TT last year and I too had a cover on it.

Now with the Mt. Rushmore, I don't really want to spend $600 or more for a cover. I will be storing my trailer outside in the Chicago area and it will not be protected from any side.

I've read some of the pros and cons from the annual debate. Right now, after I winterize the plumbing/sewer systems, I'm leaning towards putting on the tire covers and a maybe a cover for the A/C unit and calling it done.

What are you doing this year?

Also, has anyone found a cover for the Dometic 15k A/C with Heat Pump? I don't have access to my trailer at this time, but from the installation manual, the best I could gather is that the size is about 29"x39"x9". With that, I do not see any Adco cover that fits. I sent Adco a note and they called me right back. They want the exact size of my shroud. Anyone have the real dimensions of this unit?

Jim

BluegrassMan

Covering Up ?

Yes, mine too is in the garage. If I would clear out antique car parts form behind the trailer I could get Grand Canyon and Dodge both in hooked up !

I finally took the plunge two years ago and put up a BIG toy box. It keeps the trailer looking show room fresh. (no streaks and NO POOP),;) Do you all know that some places near my home store motorhomes and trailers in fairground buildings over winter there are more places to store than you'd think. Just my $.02 worth.:p

M

mary anne

RV Covers

We've had many different RV's & kept them all covered with an Adco cover. Our latest was a '02 Holiday Rambler Presidential 5th wheel which we kept in our backyard covered from September thru May. Whenever we took the cover off the unit looked like it just came off the showroom floor!

We ordered a '06 Landmark Grand Canyon about a month ago & when we take delivery of it we will put the cover on it until we leave in May '06.

phranc

Well I've never covered before and it's alwaysa big cleanup job in the spring......soooo this year we are going to try the cover routine.Yup, bought the cheap Tyvek cover from Camping World and we'll give it a shot..

jbeletti

Put on Adco Tyre Gards

Got back from the South Bend/Mishawaka, IN area today from business and brought my Landmark back with me. While I was in the area, I had the trailer in Elkhart for repairs/adjustments under warranty while I had the opportunity.

Dropped the trailer back at our seasonal site near Marengo, IL this afternoon and installed the Adco Tyre Gards tire covers. If you plan to buy these for your Landmark, mine took the "Size 2" covers. They were sold in pairs and I bought 2 pairs. Note however that if you do not have the optional exterior paint option, you may want to buy the "Polar White" color Tyre Gards. I bought the Colonial White which is off-white and there is a lot of contrast between them and the trailer.

Since I don't plan to use a whole trailer cover, I plan to add a cover for my rooftop AC. I measured it today (The Dometic Penguin 15000 with Heat Pump) and come up with ~39" L x 29.5" W x 10.5" H. That said, Adco does not seem to have one for this unit. I am in contact with them and waiting to hear if they plan to make one. May have to use a tiny tarp or heavy plastic this year.

Jim

jbeletti

Hi Cooper,

On your Golden Gate, are either of A/Cs the 15K unit? If so, do you know the Adco model number that fit it?

Thanks,

Jim

Cooper

I will check I still have the A/C cover boxes they came in and get back with you 12/14/05

svd

On our last trailer, I used a winter cover, and even tied it tight. I was surprised to find in the spring that the cover had rubbed all the paint off of the white aluminum trim with rubber strip that is on the edges of the trailer. I am going to skip the cover this time on the new 5th wheel.
Steve

salmon919

I agree with you on skipping the cover. Our last 5vr we just sold had a brand new roof put on it when it was just 1 yr old do to the cover. The MFG offered our money back on the cover but it cost several thousand dollars to have a new seamless roof replaced. It was a gold coast cover.

gawelsh

HeatPump Cover

Hey, Jim - did you ever find a cover for the DuoTherm 15000 heat pump ?
We've looked all over and can't find one. THANKS

timk

This is what we have done. Down here its the summers that we have to hide from.

Attachments

• rvstorage.jpg
    rvstorage.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 48

gawelsh

Boy, we envy you....we would LOVE to be able to keep our RV under roof somewhere , where we could access it all year 'round, take it out easily, etc. There is an indoor storage place about 45 mins from where we live - somewhat inconvenient. We'd even pay a local farmer monthly rent to let us put up a "roof-only" carport-type structure on his property. Meanwhile, we at least want a cover for our rooftop heat pump, which seems to be an odd size !

jbeletti

Hi George and Lindsey,

No - I never did find/get a cover. Didn't cover it last winter and not covered this year either.

Jim

gawelsh

I'm waiting for a price from RV Shade Shack (the link offered above) - I'll pass it along. They said they can make a waterproof cover for our heat pumps.

jbeletti

G&L,

If they offer a price on the A/C cover that is comparable to the other models at CW, I'm in for one.

Jim