Three Season Patio Door Modifications

tmitch333

I was wondering if anyone has modified their three season patio doors to have tinted acrylic inserts instead of the vinyl windows? I'm looking at possibly doing this upgrade and if anyone has pointers on this project I would appreciate some input.

mixie57

Had thought about converting but didn't pursue it because not sure how. Definitely interested also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weekender01

Are you looking for privacy or more thickness for noise/insulation?

I am not sure how the doors come, but I see on the Lippert website that the doors have 3 options:

Three shade settings: full light, UV protection and full privacy

Have you called Lippert to inquire if they sell the other panels? If you are just wanting to do tinted acrylic it should be fairly straightforwrd. The cutting to size will take the longest time. Then just add the velcro to it.

Good luck.

weekender01

I'm actually looking for more privacy and insulation, my two Great Danes stay in the cargo area.

That makes sense. I have not done this before, but have seen others make these for their main screen doors. It should be the same process of cutting to size, adding velcro then connecting them. The only thing you will really need to decide is what thickness acrylic you want to use.

vakthund

We put full length curtains on the inside (black-out curtains) of the three season door. Works very well to block sunlight and keep the heat out of the garage also. Initially though out using colored plexiglass to replace the saran wrap and metal frame but wife wanted curtains.

- - - Updated - - -

We put full length curtains on the inside (black-out curtains) of the three season door. Works very well to block sunlight and keep the heat out of the garage also. Initially though out using colored plexiglass to replace the saran wrap and metal frame but wife wanted curtains.
And the wife just reminded me that she was right.

pcardoza

I had 1/8" lexan sheets cut to fit and used velcro tape to hold them in place. MUCH better than the plastic sheeting that was in there. Looks great and can easily pop out if desired.

ndmac

I had 1/8" lexan sheets cut to fit and used velcro tape to hold them in place. MUCH better than the plastic sheeting that was in there. Looks great and can easily pop out if desired.
Any pictures of the lexan sheets installed.

I have been thinking about this my self.

pcardoza

a7d94906efd88e3abdbbfee107619000.jpg

f1f9ce96881255f910ffb7c56f2aa05a.jpg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

- - - Updated - - -

And the wife just reminded me that she was right.

Of course!

OEFVET

Looks nice and I like the mod, however I do like the soft plastic that comes with the unit. Main reason is sometimes I open the velcro halfway just to get a nice breeze going without the bugs. The only difference I would make with your mod is make the lexan half length for easy removal. Nice mod!

pcardoza

We thought about that as well, but find that when it's nice enough out, the dogs insist on being out on the deck, so our doors are typically open. We were rarely removing the soft plastic sheets, so felt the full length ones worked better for us.

I do suppose we could always just cut them at some mid-point which, would allow us to remove a section if desired.

Looks nice and I like the mod, however I do like the soft plastic that comes with the unit. Main reason is sometimes I open the velcro halfway just to get a nice breeze going without the bugs. The only difference I would make with your mod is make the lexan half length for easy removal. Nice mod!

Amsurf

You could always cut them in half and add a plastic hinge like the one below. However, I'm sure some would not like the obstruction of the view.

imagejpeg

OEFVET

Makes sense for your application. I use mine as a cigar smoking area when there are too many bugs outside.

IronJ

a7d94906efd88e3abdbbfee107619000.jpg

f1f9ce96881255f910ffb7c56f2aa05a.jpg

Where did you get these panels and how much were they?..

I had panels made for my old trailers screen door . I used tinted lexan from home Depot. ...but they don't have pieces that are 7' tall??..

Would LOVE to put tinted lexan on my patio door....heck tinted soft plastic would be nice too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

pcardoza

Got them from a local plastics company the I deal with at work. Palco Plastics here in Mass.

I believe they were $98 for four, cut to size.