Just when I thought a Bighorn was it...

Dutchman

After much research (3 yrs) we pretty much decided on the Big horn brand fiver. Unfortunately, I found this posting on 5th. Wheel Forums.

Thursday, April 10, 2008
Big Horn 5th Wheel by Heartlandrv

In April, 2007, we purchased a new Big Horn 5th wheel by Heartland, model #3760. There were many problems before we even pulled the rig off the lot, including but not limited to: slides left gaps of open air up to 2 inches at bottom; both end caps leaked causing water to collect in the bottom seal; over 50% of the trim pieces inside fell off; 1 1/2 inch staples were protruding through all slide seals. These things were fixed under warranty, but not correctly. Not only did these problems recur, when we took our first trip pulling the rig, the frame in front broke. Heartland insisted we travel all the way to Indiana (from the West Coast) to the factory to do the required welding and other repairs. The welding was done immediately; however, we spent 10 days there waiting for parts to be delivered - from the factory within 10 miles! The company contracted to do the repairs was wonderful, and really went to bat for us with Heartland. This included negotiating to have our hotel bills for this period paid by Heartland; something we had been told they absolutely would NOT do. This company also found the rollers on the slides were the wrong ones and were tearing the bottom seals and fixed this problem. Within 500 miles of leaving Indiana, the frame problems recurred. Heartland wanted us to return to Indiana, something we could not do due to previous obligations. They were completely uncooperative and unsympathetic to the defects in this rig and our problems. We feel this rig was a lemon and strongly encourage prospective buyers to consider our problems and be extremely cautious about the quality of construction of Heartland products. After reaching our destination, a whole new list of problems were discovered, along with the unresolved issue of the frame breaking; for this reason, we traded it in on a different 5th wheel. Because the Big Horn was less than a year old, we lost about $20,000 in this transaction. BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! The combination of inferior quality, poor workmanship, and a company unwilling to stand behind its product will hit you right where it hurts - the pocketbook, not to mention the stress and headaches involved!

Posted by Big Horn 5th Wheel by Heartlandrv at 10:20 AM 0 comments
Labels: Big Horn 5th Wheels by Heartland
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) Blog Archive
▼ 2008 (1)
▼ April (1)
About Me
View my complete profile
The author is Terry Mudford.

spacer.gif
Now I am really concerned. Reading past postings about QC has me re-thinking a Big Horn purchase.

Any thought's from current owners about how Heartland handles these kind of problems?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I purchased a Big Horn 3670 on Sept 21 2007. My wife and I have been living in it full time since that date. I could not be happier with our home. The fit and finish of our home is excellant to outstanding. I have had few very minor problems, and Heartland has gone above and beyond any of my expectations to resolve them. I hope that the many postive posts you will see here, shortly, will counter the one bad post that you have listed. I too saw a few bad posts when I was doing a bit of research prior to my purchase. But realized that for every vocal unhappy customer there are many more silent very happy customers out there.
Fred and Elizabeth

Rickhansen

Our 3670 experience

Dutchman,
I have to agree with oldleatherneck's comments 100%. We received our 3670 in December '07 and have been full-time in it since then and will be for the next several years. We've had only a couple minor annoyances, so trivial that no one would think them as being warranty issues. We've done a few minor mods for personalization, but no matter what we lived in would have done that much.

We have been RV'ers for many years and owned several travel trailers before the Bighorn, and been to the shows and seen all the models form pop-ups to Prevosts. We fell in love with the Bighorn when we saw it. I do not believe that you will find another make in that market-space and price range that has as good engineering, style, or quality. I can't speak to their warranty, as we've not had the occasion to use it.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We've had our 08 3670 since March of 07.It was one of the first 08's off the lot. We've had a couple of minor issues which our dealer and Heartland have taken care of. A bubble in one tire is by far the worst thing we've had happen and it could have happened to any brand.

Don't let one or two negatives over ride your own observations. If you can listen to the people who own Heartlands and like them without having a nagging feeling in the pit of your stomach that will ruin the experience, go ahead and buy a Heartland. If that nagging feeling won't go away, it could end up making you hyper-sensitive to every little bitty thing you might find, even though other brands could have the same problems. Its not worth being miserable.

Of course we want you to be as happy as we are, but nobody will hate you if you find you need to go another way.

Good Luck
Kristy

boatdoc

We have an 09 3670 and couldn't be happier, well we could be but Heartland has nothing to do about the oil company's. We had a problem on the way home from our selling dealer that our local dealer and Heartland fixed, no qustions asked. First trip was 3200 miles and 6 weeks and not a problem that we know of. We love our 3670!!!

StevieWonder

I own a 2008 Sundance 2800RLS, a step down the luxury ladder from the BigHorn, which has had some of the very minor issues that you find in any new RV (and I've owned $300K+ motorhomes with MANY worse issues on delivery). Nagging items, but nothing near like the unit you own.

I have two engineering degrees and an MBA and I've owned a car repair shop for Mercedes/BMW/Porsche/Audi/Volvo/Jaguar and I can tell you without hesitation that if you manufacture enough items, you WILL produce an occasional lemon. I've seen it in $100k+ Mercedes and $100k+ Porches and $80K+ BMWs and $300K Rolls Royces (don't even get me started on Ferrari or Lamborghini) ... and I've experienced it personally. But it IS the EXCEPTION, not the rule. Look at the whole universe of feedback and see what owners of other manufacturer's rigs have to say. You'll find the nightmare there too ... no matter who makes them or how much or how little they cost.

Your experience may be bad, but I also noted where Heartland made good on EVERYTHING you asked them to. I can assure you that is VERY, VERY rare. VERY.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Dutchman,
While I cannot comment on the post at rv.net I can say that our 2006 Bighorn that we used to own was not without some issues, but between our dealer and Heartland, everything was taken care of without question. We enjoyed our Bighorn for 2 1/2 years before upgrading to a Landmark. We really feel that Hearltand is a great company and they really have their customers in mind all the time.

Good luck and hope you get the info you need to make a good decision,

Mark

geeksrus

We've had our rig since July 2007 & have been full-timing... this includes a recent extensive snowbird trip the past winter which included the west coast, a number of locations in Arizona, then thru New Mexico to the RGV followed by New Orleans & Nashville. After that we headed to Elkhart & then home in Alberta.

Yes, we've had some items that we've fixed ourselves. The major concern we've had is a squeaky kitchen floor... the service center in Elkhart worked on it but it still is there.

Heartland products are not perfect but we believe they are a lot better than most in their market segment.

BUT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE ARE JUST EXCELLENT! Therefore it bothers me when someone indicates that Heartland doesn't care.

I'm sure that you would be happy with a Heartland product.

EH!None

dewwood

I have a Sundance which, as noted above, is a step down from the Big Horn but we have been very happy with it and with any interaction with Heartland the Company. I think if you do three years of research on any brand you will find an unhappy customer so I would return to your original research and make your decision based on that. Best of luck with your new camper whatever you decide.

seabee

Heartland Big Horn 3670RL

With the buying of our trailer, a 2008 at Dougs RV in MS, we have enjoyed the floor plan,and like others we had our problems but most were taken care of. Some of them were not, but this was due to the dealerships not being able to handle the problems.
The floors of our unit squeak and we to had one just inside the door plus others,one day while sweeping the floor my wife said there was a screw pushing up:eek:what to do, find a dealer? No, we were parked for the winter in AZ and with the cost of fuel. Well I thought if the worst happens I will just replace the flooring. One day the head came though and I could see the screw head so very easily I pulled up on the flooring took my drill and screwed the thing back in to the floor. Now the squeak is gone and by pushing the flooring down and placing a rug on it, the day we were getting ready to move I looked for the spot its gone. You can't see it None.
Now back in the carpet area family room we have a big squeak and as soon as I figure out how to fix it I will tell you. Oh yes, did I tell you, we are out of warranty so the fix is on me, but hey I'm a big boy.
Would I buy another? Hummmmmmmm! maybe but I would not do so unless my dealer was in a place I was going to be living.
Happy Full timer living the life, buying the fuel, paying the price, never let them see ya cry!
Seabee; Can Do, Have Done

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well, here we go again!!!
We purchased our BH 3400RE in October 2007 after waiting on the factory to supply the #7000 axles and G rated tires we had ordered. After delivery we took a short shakedown and ended up cutting that shorter due to an incoming ice storm, which we beat home by only a couple hours.
In April 2008 we made a trip to Arizona to visit my son. We had an excellent trip. Everything worked as advertised and worked well except for the Coby DVD player which didn't at all. Nothing broke, nothing fell off the walls, nothing leaked, nothing bent. The BH pulled very well and didn't present any problems at all.
I'm very sorry for all those people who have problems with their rig and I wish I could offer you some magic advice or some helping hand. When we did our PDI my SIL (who is a neat freak) came down from Kansas City area to help out. We had a longish page of defects and presented them to the service manager who insured us they would be corrected before delivery took place. At the time of delivery we checked the list and all was corrected. I promptly thanked them profusely for their efforts and now I will recommend the dealer to anybody.
If at any time you come through Oklahoma City and need repair help just look up WALKER RV COMPANY and talk to TIM. OP

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I too own an 08' Bighorn 3600, and like many of those who have posted here, I too have had some minor problems. However, I am one of the unfortunate ones that have a serious issue with my unit.

As it is currently at the factory being taken care of, I will not go into what is exactly wrong with it. I will, however, say this...Heartland is the most responsive manufacturer I have EVER dealt with!!! Hands Down!!!

They have stepped up to the plate and without ANY hesitation have taken care of the problem with my coach, and I am confident the issue will be completely resolved to our satisfaction. They have done this willing and without any type of pushing or prodding, on our or anyone else's part.

That said I too realize that no manufacturer is perfect. With the amount of units that Heartland makes there are going to be ones with problems on occasion. The difference is how the manufacturer handles those problem units...and I, for one, could not be happier for their handling of our individual situation. We have cooperated with them, in allowing them the opportunity to make things right, and they are taking whatever steps necessary to do just that.

It has been my experience that in many cases like you have presented, the owner quite often demands replacement and/or unreasonable compensation, etc. I'm not saying that IS what happened, however I KNOW, from my own experience, they do willingly take responsibility for their product...you might want to read between the lines.

buckeyebob

i used to have a keystone product,and i was a regular on their forum for 2 yesrs.i have been a heartland forum member for 1 year.trust me the folks on the keystone forum are not as happy as heartland owners.try contacting keystone and you may never get an answer!!!!i had a few questions before i bought the sundance and 2 people from heartland,and jim bell. answered me in less than 1 hour!!!!bob

Bought the 3670 RV in January and have had it out every other weekend since. Had 3 very minor problems that I could have fixed myself but my dealer said they would prefer I take it there and have them check the unit out after a shakedown period. I was not going to argue with that kind of service. Tey fixed all glitches. Did a fresh walkthrough with me (effectively a second PDI) and we were both happy with the rig's condition. My only heartache with buying this rig, my first ever, is that I have missed too many winter season camping opportunities by not buying it years ago. I suppose any manufacturer could have a lemon slip through its fingers. I also suppose there are customers who cannot be satisfied. My 3670 is great and I am extremely satisfied. And you can ask my wife that is not eady to accomplish,

'Nuff said

truknutt

Committed Member
Can't you just picture the folks at Heartland reading these comments and then all running around giving each other "high fives" and back slaps?! :D:p:D

Need to post a link to these comments over at RV.net and label it "DISGRUNTLED HEARTLAND OWNER"...that's the only way to get "THEM" to read these type of comments. :rolleyes:

I quit logging on over there; every thread I was reading was either nasty to begin with ended up turning that way. :(

madigand

Another attaboy for Heartland. Had our 3670 since April 2007 and have been fultiming it it since. Problems, yes but the support from Heartland has been outstanding. They have been very responsive to our requests. I guess I should work as a sales rep. Have sent 3 people to Heartland for their next RV. All of them have been very happy.

sjrellis

We also have a 3670 and LOVE it! We wintered in Wisconsin and had no problem staying warm. Now I'm ready to spend a summer in it in Illinois.

My 2006 3600RL has GREAT

Hi everyone. I bought my 3600RL in Jan. 07. been full timing ever since. Have over 12,000 miles on the trailer. A few small problems but nothing big.All repairs were none at Heartland dealers. Heartland covered all repairs with no questions asked. Would recommend a Heartland to anyone looking for a quality Rv product. None