Corpus/Port Aransas 2008/2009 Gathering

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hello Heartlanders, This is a post to announce the planning stage for an 08/09 Winter Get Together in the Corpus Christi/Port Aransas/Rockport area We could do a one day meet of interested parties at a central location or a few days of camping at an area campground. Lets have some replies of interest from folks that plan on being in the area during the Winter and I'll try to come up with a plan.

geeksrus

We plan to be in the area (RGV) for December, January, February so keep us posted on the plan.

BTW: where do you stay in the area? Is it easy to get reservations?

EH!

cjbearden

Visitor
We are also interested in attending this gathering and would like more information on places HL owners winter in this area. First time to get to pick a 'winter home' so looking forward to hearing what others are doing.
We are currently heading for Colorado Springs area and if anyone has thoughts on a 'summer home' in Colorado that might have Camping World in close proximity and AT&T wireless service, your information is most appreciated.

We will keep reading the forum for the Corpus Christi gathering. Happy & Safe Travels.

Ray LeTourneau

geeksrus & jdwigly, Lin & I stay in Corpus at Colonia del Rey RV Park. Prices range from $330 to $360 a month plus elec. I think it's a decent park for the money. There are some nicer for more $ and then there's the other end of the spectrum. Last winter they were pretty full so advance reservations would be recommended. Depending on how much interest there is for this "gathering" we could just to a beach party on the Gulf or a couple days at Mustang Island or some other place that would have room available. Dates are still wide open depending on the interest as well. I think early to mid December might be best for weather. I'll keep everyone posted as more interest develops.

pickuphunt

We winter, Jan - March, at Pioneer RV Park, Port Aransas TX. It is a great park, located at the north end of Padre Island, (Mustang Island) great activity center, with an activity director. The park is very popular and reservations are a must. With prior approval from the activity director, I believe the activity center can be used. I don't know what kind of "get-to-gather" you have in mind. January tends to be a bit cool, however any given day can be good or not good (no day is really bad).
Of Note: There is a State Park on Mustang Island. We have not stayed there, but drive by it very often. It is within 500 yards of the Gulf of Mexico. The sites do not have sewer, but do have electricity and water. Also, one can camp on the beach, no water, elec or sewer. It works for many people for a short time. You can drive the beach for miles - no private beaches owned by condos, etc. Below Mustang Island is the National Seashore which is in fact a National Park. No private buildings, no condos, etc. A LOT OF SAND. After a few miles down the National Seashore, only 4 wheel drive vehicles need go. Surf fishing is available all along the sea shore.
Port Aransas has a number of fishing charter boats. Port "A" has 3 stoplights, one grocery store, a ton or T-Shirt shops - got the picture, a small fishing village. You can get to Port "A" either by land from the south coming up Mustang Island from Corpus Christi or the fun way, by one of the 5 ferries FOR FREE. Watch the Dolphins play as the ferry crosses from the mainland to the Island. Yes, we enjoy the area.

Last edited:
We would be interested in getting together? We're new Heartland Cyclone owners and only live about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Corpus/Port A. Just 2 weeks ago we were at the Pioneer park pickuphunt mentioned. Nice place with easy beach access, but I understand it fills for the season soon.

Ray LeTourneau

We arrived in Corpus today and will soon start looking for a place to get together. Bali Park on Padre Island or The park on Mustang Island are the best bets at this point. Mustang is a state park so there would be a fee or park pass required. Bali is free. Once I get more info I'll get an update in this thread.

Ray LeTourneau

Update

We drove over to Bali Park yesterday and the buildings are all boarded up with signs saying "Closed until further notice". I'll check The State Park on Mustang Island and see what we can do there. What I'm hoping to do is a simple get together with a bonfire with brats or big ol Hot Dogs and a pot of beans and BYOB. I'm not sure if the state parks are no alcohol or not. More info as soon as I can.

Blessed

We might be interested depending on the dates. We spend the winter at our home in Georgetown, TX, but unfortunately the trailer is in Michigan. We go back to Michigan for Christmas and we have a grandson that is due to be born in Texas on November 14. If the dates work we will be there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
No public consumption of alcohol in State Parks in Texas. (you can drink inside your own RV just not in public.

Dianne and I would be interested depending on the dates and all. This is our first year south for the winter and we are just going to wonder to take in our future possibilities.
Steve:D

Ray LeTourneau

We winter, Jan - March, at Pioneer RV Park, Port Aransas TX. It is a great park, located at the north end of Padre Island, (Mustang Island) great activity center, with an activity director. The park is very popular and reservations are a must. With prior approval from the activity director, I believe the activity center can be used. I don't know what kind of "get-to-gather" you have in mind. January tends to be a bit cool, however any given day can be good or not good (no day is really bad).
pickuphunt, are you hinting at the possibility that we might be able to use Pioneers facility for a small, nominal fee? I could drive by and ask if you think it would work for us. It might be good to have the option to be inside if needed. Thanks

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We might be able to drive down depending on when this is put together. Please keep us posted on when and where.