FOUND: Propane Gas Detector Not Installed ???

ksucats

Have a 2015 Landmark Key West. Yesterday we used the stove for the first time while tailgating for our University's football game. Long story short - I left one of the burners turned on low (thought I had turned them all off but that particular one we did not use and, I'll take the blame, it was turned to low instead of off. In any case, got back to the coach after the game, smelled a slight ting of rotten air but didn't think anything of it. We went about having our after game cry (we lost miserably). After having some late munchies we started putting everything away and when I opened up the cabinet next to the stove - the smell was over whelming. Immediately recognized what it was and had everyone leave the coach. I then saw that the one back burner was turned to on.

So, after this, and our very lucky event I looked for a propane detector in the coach and find none. In the coach we traded in there was one very prominately installed right at the floor level. We find no such in this coach. Looked up the RVIA standards and, as I read them, there should be one installed.

So, my question, does anyone know where it is?

I'm also going to post this on the 'Ask the Factory' link?

Finally, we will have a note on the wall reminding us to ENSURE THE GAS IS OFF!!

jimtoo

Re: Propane Gas Detector Not Installed ???

If the burner was burning, the propane detector would not sound off. It is to alert for leaks, unburned propane. Look behind the couch and recliners.

Jim M

wdk450

Gang:
If the lady SMELLED propane, then the burner wasn't lit, and the alarm should have sounded. In my unit the propane detector is located near the rear window, with an L shaped kitchen island between the stove and propane detector. If you read the instructions on the propane detectors, they say say that the unit should be mounted NEAR the propane sources - this isn't being done. I am thinking about re-mounting or adding a 2nd detector in the drawer face below the stove, but I need to work out the unfused 12 volt DC supply it needs.

I have heard that you can test the propane detector by placing a butane lighter emitting gas (but not lit) near the alarm. This test worked for me. But then the detector instructions say NOT to test the detector this way.

Early on in my ownership of the Bighorn (during warranty), my wife and I both thought we smelled gas in the kitchen area, but no propane alarms. The dealer service guy told us we were probably smelling sewer gas. Finally, I bought a propane pressure gauge and did a leak down test (with all propane devices turned off) at the tank. The system did not hold pressure, so I knew there was a leak. I paid for an independent RV repairer to work for several hours on the system before he found a cracked propane piping system fitting.

Here is a link to the Atwood Propane detector manual. It is in the "Tools, Manuals" section of this website, but I had problems working that .PDF file. This file is a .PDF from an internet search: http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/gasalarms/LP IOM LP RV.pdf

TxCowboy

Take a look at the area behind the recliners. There is a green light on a wall plate on the right hand wall of the slide. That is probably your propane detector.

sjandbj

In our Big Country the detector is on the slide out wall by the dining table. It was hard to find when I was first looking for it.

Steve

ksucats

Thank you all - I just went out to the coach and checked; it is in the curb side slide, rear most exterior wall - almost as far away from any propane source as they could put it and still be inside the coach. Given the air leaks in the slide (one of several things to be looked at under warranty shortly) it would never get to a high enough concentration of propane to trigger - yet the cabinet right next to it was highly charged. IMHO not good. Guess that is all I can say about it until the dealer takes a look.

Again, thanks to all of you who replied - as always -- you were spot on!

donr827

When we had our Bighorn the propane detector was on the back wall behind the recliners. Even the mechanic doing the PDI said is was a stupid place to put it but legal. I think they should be in the kitchen area.
Don

TxCowboy

When we had our Bighorn the propane detector was on the back wall behind the recliners. Even the mechanic doing the PDI said is was a stupid place to put it but legal. I think they should be in the kitchen area.

Agreed. This should be in the kitchen area near the floor, if at all possible.

farside291

Mine is in the dinette slide right side behind the home theater sofa. Not close to any propane useing devices.

wdk450

BTW, all of the newer rig owners do not have to worry about this for a while, but the propane detector has a limited lifetime of 7 years, at which time the functioning of the electronic detector element is questionable, and the whole detector should be replaced. I am about at that point.

ksucats

Was doing a little research earlier, these things are not inexpensive but I'm really thinking of having the dealer install a second one close to the stove area. Maybe in the space just to the right of the doors for the washer/dryer or electrical panel. Should be easy to get 12 volt line and it appears to be a surface mount item so...

Lot of discussion going on at my wife's work place by some who attended the tailgate. :angel:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

BTW, all of the newer rig owners do not have to worry about this for a while, but the propane detector has a limited lifetime of 7 years, at which time the functioning of the electronic detector element is questionable, and the whole detector should be replaced. I am about at that point.

Ours from install in 2009 was stamped 5 years. Finally replaced it this year, and upgraded to one that fits the same hole but detects propane and CO. Never hurts to have more detectors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Ours from install in 2009 was stamped 5 years. Finally replaced it this year, and upgraded to one that fits the same hole but detects propane and CO. Never hurts to have more detectors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking around the net and came across some TRIPLE detectors - CO, Fire, and Propane. The question now is to mount them: high, low or in between?
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-MICN109-Hardwired-Monoxide-Natural/dp/B00AO4AKHA

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would be concerned with a triple detector like that. Propane is 1.6 times heavier than air, while carbon monoxide is slighter lighter than air, based on their vapor densities. So propane will settle low, while CO and smoke products will rise. Where are you going to mount it to be sure it will react quickly to a hazard?

Personally, I'd stay with single substance detectors, although the smoke detector should be a dual sensor type.

olcoon

FYI, it "should" last 7 years. Our Elk Ridge was built in Feb. of 2010, and I had to replace it at the Goshen rally in June of 2013, while at the rally. It started going off and wouldn't stop, even after airing out the rig, and blowing air into the sensor.

John, you have a good point. I like multi-function items, however in this case single function items rule the roost.

ksucats

One - to bump this item back up - Propane, Fire and Carbon monoxide detectors are a must. Check your batteries and make sure they are working.

That said, we had our unit into the shop so that they could try to fix / adjust the slides before we take the coach to New Mexico shortly (unfortunately a short trip). At my request they installed a new propane detector in (on) the hallway wall right next to the power supply / circuit braker/fuse panel. Not real happy about where they put it but the unit is too large to fit between the two doors where I had hoped/shown them. Regardless, before we took it there I had one of the city fire department shift chiefs look at the current installation. To say he was distressed by the location is an understatement. Did say it was within RVIA standards but also told me it would probably never go off. He expressed, in no uncertain terms, that my wife and I, not to mention our entire tailgating party were VERY lucky. I now double check those knobs even though we don't even have the covers off the range.

The dealer has not charged me for the detector or labor as yet - they are going to submit it to Landmark Warranty to see if they will cover some or all of it. I hope they do but we'll have to see.

'nuff said I guess