Icemaker Overfilling

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We purchased a 2009 Big Horn 3600RE in January and have had problems with the icemaker overfilling from day one. No matter how you adjust the cube size the icemaker still overfills. It runs about twice as much water as needed so naturally the excess drains down into the cube tray and freezes the already ejected cubes together. I carried it back to the dealer and they bent the two tabs on the side of the icemaker saying it was not level in the freezer compartment. Carried it home, still overfilled. Carried it back to the dealer and they called Heartland who sent a part that they claimed would correct it. No change. The dealer then completely replaced the icemaker and told me it worked fine in their shop. I carried it home again and guess what....still overfilling. After two days of operation we do not just have ice cubes but ice cubes froze into one solid block of ice in the cube tray. Anyone have this happen before or any idea what to do? Appreciate any thoughts.

Have the same problem with the microwave as I have seen in another thread as well. Moisture so bad after using I have to wipe up the water out of it.

My dealer has basically quit trying to help correct the problems.

jbeletti

Ricky and Rachel,

Sorry to hear about all these issues with your ice maker. Since the entire unit has been replaced with no difference, I have a couple of questions. And I am just grasping here as I have no experience in such matters:

1. Does this happen primarily at the same campground?

2. What is the water pressure at this campground?

3. Has the dealer changed the water solenoid? It's outside at the back, bottom portion of the refer.

mountainlovers76

Hey Jim,

The overfilling occurs no matter where we are, CG or home. Water pressures vary from around 60 to 90 psi depending on where we are but I use a regulator that cuts it down to approx. 45 psi...at least that is what I was told. It was supplied by the dealer when I picked up the coach. Have not actually put a gauge on it.

And no, they did not change the solenoid valve, I did think to ask about that when I called them back. They told me it could not be that since it worked fine for them. Of course when I picked it up they had dumped the ice and turned off the fridge so I can not verify it ever worked properly.

News Flash....while writing this reply back to you my dealer's maintenance manager just called. He said he had talked to Heartland and they told him that there was no way that the icemaker could overfill????? Even though he told them he had seen it happen with his own eyes on the original icemaker. He wants me to look for a valve going to the solenoid and turn it down some to restrict the water flow. I am pretty savvy in the mechanical and technical areas and I know that is not the proper thing to do. The solenoid is supposed to control the water flow but I will try the valve.

He said they also told him there was nothing they could do about the extreme water build up in the microwave when in use. All this is very troubling. I will try any suggestions you or anyone else may have.
Thanks.

jbeletti

Ricky and Rachel,

Sorry this issue continues for you.

I just contacted Heartland Customer Service today on this matter and I was told the we, Heartland RVs, told this dealer to contact Dometic as we do not know how this could happen. We also supplied the dealer with Dometic's phone number.

Not sure this is what your dealer is telling you. At some point, you may want to make that call to Dometic yourself.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Ricky and Rachel,

I would go ahead and call Dometic direct.....they will usually send out a mobile repair unit to correct the problem or look in the yellow pages for a local authorized Dometic repair service that is mobile. They can get authorization from Dometic.

Forrest

azbound

I am experiencing the same overfill problem in our 2008 BH 3400RL. It is at the dealer now and this is on my list. Let me know how your fix goes and I will try and keep you posted regarding mine.

L'l John

There is supposed to be an adjustment to decrease or increase the amount of water going into the tray, to be able to make the cubes larger or smaller. I have done this to my icemaker at home.
Look in your refrigerator-icemaker owners manual for the instructions.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We have had a similar issue with the ice becoming a large block in the tray/bin. We have begun letting the freezer get cold before we activate the icemaker arm. It helps sometimes. Othertimes, it still leaves a block of ice that we have to throw out.
The microwave booklet that came with our unit explains that the microwave does not vent and moisture will accumulate when using high water foods. They suggest using the "dryer" button and that will turn on the convection heater coils for 90 seconds to dry it. The manual goes on to say, if that doesn't correct the moisture, wipe it out with a paper towel. We'll replace ours with a different brand, when this one quits.
Technology is a great thing, when it works....

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Rick,
I had a similar problem with my 2008 big horn, I found that the valve is set to provide a set amount of water to enter the tray, however sometimes both the valve and metering are not working on the same page, my solution that helped me was to raise the bar to stop the water flow and remove the water from ice tray, there is a set screw behind the front plate that will be facing you gently remove the face plate and turn the screw counter clock wise, less than a quarter turn, place the arm back to operation mode and let the ice maker go through its cycles and adjust the setting as needed. This worked for my 2008 Big Horn, I have since traded my BH for a 2009 Landmark and have not had this problem, hope this works for you if not I have no clues what else to try.
Good Luck,
Mike

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
If all else fails, get a bigger glass for the huge block of ice and a big bottle of Scotch. While drinking it, ponder the microwave water build up issue. By the time you need more ice, none of it will matter anymore and you'll be happy! :D

Sorry...I couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

mountainlovers76

Thanks to all for the suggestions...and to "htneighbors", even though I do not drink, I may before all this is over...lol

I did try the adjustment screw on the original icemaker before it was replaced. Even turned down as far as it would go, it still overfilled the tray. Guess I will try it on the new one just to make sure. Can not hurt.

Said it before in another post elsewhere and will say it again.... even with the problems I have had.... I still love my Big Horn. :)