Vented vs Non-vented Washing Machines

Bohemian

Being such a nice guy I’m going to respectfully disagree on this one. I think the bigger question is how many Bighorn users have a ventless machine vs a combo w/vent or stackable/w vent. I don’t need to know the answer so don’t post. I just think it a bigger question with a different solution than a hole in the side of an RV as part of the washer/dryer prep.

Being such a nice guy, I will understand your point and ignore your snark. As long as it's an option I'm fine.

As a point of information, those with allergies are often made sick by ventless dryers.

Mburtsvt

Re: Bighorn MSRP

Being such a nice guy, I will understand your point and ignore your snark. As long as it's an option I'm fine.

As a point of information, those with allergies are often made sick by ventless dryers.

Somewhat confused - Ventless dryers do not require a physical vent. They take the warm water that, via absorption, is collected as water vapor and deposit it in the holding tank along with the lint. I would think a ventless dryer would be more preferable if you have allergies. No air is released into or around the coach via a vent.

Bohemian

Somewhat confused - Ventless dryers do not require a physical vent. They take the warm water that, via absorption, is collected as water vapor and deposit it in the holding tank along with the lint. I would think a ventless dryer would be more preferable if you have allergies. No air is released into or around the coach via a vent.

Corect. The air and alergrans are released IN the rv.

Lance & Jo

We now have about 16 years experience with the Splendid combo unit. Approx 11 years with ventless and 5 years with vented. Jo has fairly significant allergy problems, the first several years she was getting shots in both arms twice a week for it. Bottom line is neither type impacted her allergy problems. Ventless washers remove the moisture by circulating cold water around the drum to promote condensation and do not use or release air from the drum. This method takes a long time to dry, about half a lifetime for a load of T shirts, and is somewhat dependent on the temp of the cold water available. Properly installed vented machines pass all air from the drum to the outside, not in the trailer. Main things we have learned:

Vented dryers do not work well on sail boats as units generally mounted below the waterline.

Ventless drying time is really long but completely unacceptable in the Tropics where outside water temp is around 80 degrees.

Bohemian

If you have allergies wouldn't you want a vented dryer? one that vents to the outside?

Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

We now have about 16 years experience with the Splendid combo unit. Approx 11 years with ventless and 5 years with vented. Jo has fairly significant allergy problems, the first several years she was getting shots in both arms twice a week for it. Bottom line is neither type impacted her allergy problems. Ventless washers remove the moisture by circulating cold water around the drum to promote condensation and do not use or release air from the drum. This method takes a long time to dry, about half a lifetime for a load of T shirts, and is somewhat dependent on the temp of the cold water available. Properly installed vented machines pass all air from the drum to the outside, not in the trailer. Main things we have learned:

Vented dryers do not work well on sail boats as units generally mounted below the waterline.

Ventless drying time is really long but completely unacceptable in the Tropics where outside water temp is around 80 degrees.

All dryers have air flowing into and out of them. Ventless dryers have air flowing into the room where the dryers sits. It might be a low volume or a large volume, but air flows from the dryer into the room.

I am glad whenever someone does not suffer. However, that has nothing to do with those who do suffer allergies from sources.

olcoon

I don't have enough knowledge or experience with washers & dryers in an RV to comment either way. However I would think that if a dryer is "ventless", and air from the dryer goes into the coach that would increase the humidity inside the coach, and could create some problems. Kind of like taking a hot shower when the coach is all closed up, especially in the winter when the AC doesn't remove humidity from the inside. The moisture buildup could collect, and create damage inside the coach.

Years ago, when I was single, I lived in an apartment complex, and had a storage locker in the basement, which was also where the laundry was located. My storage locker was right next to the laundry room. In the storage locker, I had a gun safe. Before moving there I had always kept a 40 watt light bulb in the safe to fight the humidity. I hadn't gotten into the safe for a few months, (I tried to stay out of the storage locker as much as possible to keep prying eyes away, with the gun safe in there), anyway, I checked it, and sometime or another, the bulb had burned out, and all my guns had a light coat of surface rust from the humidity the dryers put out. Fortunately, it wasn't bad, and I was able to remove it with really fine steel wool soaked in oil, with no permeant damage to the guns.

Don't know if this would apply to the above situation or not, just throwing it out there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We recently replaced our separate washer and dryer units with a combo unit. The dryer was vented. The new combo is set up so you can either use the dryer vented or non-vented. The non-vented mode (according to the instructions) add humidity to the interior of the RV. We hooked ours up in the vented mode. Also according to the owners manual clothes dry faster in the vented mode.

Mburtsvt

Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to be clear and make sure we are all talking about the same thing. A “ventless washer/dryer combo” dose not have a vent at all. It takes air in - but the air is condensed into water and deposited into the holding tank. Think of it more like a dehumidifier. This is a preferred method for cleaning clothes if allergies are an overwhelming problem. All of the allergies particulate are suspended in a water vapor and deposited with the water into the holding tank, (which should be opened during the entire washing cycle). One of the best reasons that the washer along with the bathroom sink should get their own grey water tank. On many RV they do.

I know we may have gotten off track technically on how a “ventless” works.

From the manufactures web site:

The WDC7100XC's condenser dryer system requires 2.5 gallons of water per hour during the dry cycle. This is a sealed system that will not add heat or humidity to the surrounding area.

All dryers have air flowing into and out of them. Ventless dryers have air flowing into the room where the dryers sits. It might be a low volume or a large volume, but air flows from the dryer into the room.

I am glad whenever someone does not suffer. However, that has nothing to do with those who do suffer allergies from sources.

I want to be clear and make sure we are all talking about the same thing. A “ventless washer/dryer combo” dose not have a vent at all. It takes air in - but the air is condensed into water and deposited into the holding tank. Think of it more like a dehumidifier. This is a preferred method for cleaning clothes if allergies are an overwhelming problem. All of the allergies particulate are suspended in a water vapor and deposited with the water during the drying cycle into the holding tank, (which should be opened during the entire washing cycle). One of the best reasons that the washer, along with the bathroom sink, should get their own grey water tank. On many RV they do.

I know we may have gotten off track technically on how a “ventless” works.

From the manufactures web site:

The WDC7100XC's condenser dryer system requires 2.5 gallons of water per hour during the dry cycle. This is a sealed system that will not add heat or humidity to the surrounding area.