Sagging ceiling pictures

retroxrider

I had posted in the general forum about my sagging ceiling in my 08 3670, but figured I'd post some pictures here to get some feedback from factory trained eyes. If you look at the transition strip just forward of th event in the kitchen, you can see that the middle of the ceiling sags. I took measurements at either wall (98") and the center (96.5"). I had an insurance adjuster out today and he can find no signs of physical damage. I am waiting for my dealer to send a tech out to take a look. I'm hoping that maybe it is just the ceiling material itself sagging and can be repaired, but I'm not sure how it is attached and if that is even a possibility.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim Fenner - I passed along your contact information to my dealer. Hopefully thaey can work with you to resolve this issue.

Thanks again!

Phil

Attachments

• 0504081014.jpg
    0504081014.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 0504081016.jpg
    0504081016.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 0504081032.jpg
    0504081032.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 358

Forrest Fetherolf

As I recall, as per Scott Tuttle, the 2008 Heartland models roof and floor system was changed from welded aluminum to wood as a cost saving measure to stay competitively priced with competitors. Hopefully this modification was designed correctly to allow for "live load" and "dead load" loading to withstand "snow loading" and/or "walk-on loading."

Forrest

jbeletti

The Bighorn has always retained the welded aluminum roof trusses. The change was the floor framing went to wood for 2008.

The 2009 Bighorns now use the laminated floor system for both decks.

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B. is correct........I found Scott Tuttle's post......I remembered Scott mentioning "roof" and "floor".........should have looked first.

"It's really pretty simple. Aluminum prices are going through the roof and the vast majority of our competition in this price point has wood floors. Combine this with the fact that a number of dealers are reporting to us that with most customers, cost is one of the biggest factors, and while we will be the first to tell you quality is important - it's also about getting your money's worth out of a feature - and we simply were not. Wood floors are something that every person has in their permanent homes and is something that is very typical in the RV industry. With Heartland's one-piece seamless floor decking, the studs underneath that it is attached to just wasn't a big selling factor with customers.
I absolutely respect your opinion that you would rather have the more expensive aluminum, and I hope that you respect that fact that we need to stay competitive and this is one area where we were able to pass on some savings to the customer - while still providing a quality floor."
ST

retroxrider

Coley,
Thanks for the pictures, but I'm not questioning the material used in the roof - I could really care less - but the fact that there is a problem. I am waiting patiently for my dealer to get a technician to come out and look at the ceiling. That will be about two weeks. I posted the pictures in the hope that someone familiar with the construction may have some ideas as to what might cause this problem. If I sound a little short, I appologize. I just hate waiting and not being able to do anything to fix the situation.
As soon as I have more information, I will pass it along. In the meantime any information that can be passed along is appreciated!

Phil

tcbrady

thanks Phil - please keep me posted. I know we can fix your problem. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll help.

Regards, Coley

retroxrider

No, thank you!
It's refreshing to see a company willing to listen to customers and be willing to help them resolve issues instead of ignoring them.
Between you and Jim Fenner, I feel a little more at ease knowing that my issue will be addressed.

Thanks again and I'll keep you informed.

Phil

retroxrider

thanks Phil - please keep me posted. I know we can fix your problem. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll help.

Regards, Coley

Hi Coley,
I had a tech from my dealership out on June 20th. I have had no luck getting a response from them. Could someone from Heartland help out and get the ball rolling for me? My dealership is Camper's Inn in Merrimack, NH. I usually talked to the salesperson I had, but they recently let several people go due to slow sales and he was one of them.

Thanks!!

I had posted in the general forum about my sagging ceiling in my 08 3670, but figured I'd post some pictures here to get some feedback from factory trained eyes. If you look at the transition strip just forward of the vent in the kitchen, you can see that the middle of the ceiling sags

I know I am replying to a post that is over a year old....but we just bought a used 2007 Bighorn 3400rl yesterday.....and I didn't realize that my ceiling is sagging until I looked at your pics and saw that my ceiling is doing the same!! Was it repaired by your insurance? How much did it cost to fix? How did they fix it? And most of all, what caused it?

I am rather bummed that my husband and I didn't notice this, nor did the dealer point it out. We just spent enough $$$ for the unit, and now it looks like we will have to pay more for something we overlooked...... Since we just purchased it yesterday there is no insurance on it, and I doubt it would qualify because it happened before insurance was purchased. So what ended up happening with your unit?

jimtoo

Hi summerphlox,

I moved the original thread and your post to an open discussion area since the original question had been answered. I am sure you will get some good answers.

Jim M

retroxrider

I know I am replying to a post that is over a year old....but we just bought a used 2007 Bighorn 3400rl yesterday.....and I didn't realize that my ceiling is sagging until I looked at your pics and saw that my ceiling is doing the same!! Was it repaired by your insurance? How much did it cost to fix? How did they fix it? And most of all, what caused it?

I am rather bummed that my husband and I didn't notice this, nor did the dealer point it out. We just spent enough $$$ for the unit, and now it looks like we will have to pay more for something we overlooked...... Since we just purchased it yesterday there is no insurance on it, and I doubt it would qualify because it happened before insurance was purchased. So what ended up happening with your unit?

You've got mail!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Curious. If the interior ceiling is sagging, is there a corresponding depression on the roof? Does the roof have an arch over the interior droop? Or is the interior covering coming loose from the substructure? Can you move it by touch, or is it solid? Any way the arched roof truss could have been installed upside down?

jgilbert

retroxrider,

Why not let the rest of us in on how your BH was fixed or what the final solution was? What caused it and how was it repaired?

Joe

I would like to see the fix also. I have a 2009 BH 3055 RL and the light in the stair area sags enough that the toilet door bumps it when opened. I have removed the light to see if there is anything above it to fasten too. Nothing but insulation. It appears the light is mounted to the ceiling material and spaced right in the middle of the trusses. Thanks for any help.