Bighorn Stairs Replacement

jdfishing

The stairs on my 2013 Bighorn 3010RE are falling apart. The lower step has always been "spongy" and now one of the tabs has broken off. Any recommendations on replacement other than the OEM stairs? I have seen some Bighorns with aluminum stairs that look pretty nice and was told that someone was installing them at the last Goshen rally. Anyone know the manufacture of these?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The stairs on my 2013 Bighorn 3010RE are falling apart. The lower step has always been "spongy" and now one of the tabs has broken off. Any recommendations on replacement other than the OEM stairs? I have seen some Bighorns with aluminum stairs that look pretty nice and was told that someone was installing them at the last Goshen rally. Anyone know the manufacture of these?

PM Jim Beletti about this. He can give you the info.

jbeletti

It's possible that your stairs have a defect that was the subject of a recall or similar. Contact Heartland Customer Service to check on this (877-262-8032).

The AlumaTread steps are from Lippert. Give them a call. Something around $300 plus shipping. Most people who've gotten them like them.

MTPockets

I have zero knowledge of these aluminum stairs; just thinking that steel is stronger than aluminum. Just Sayin.

MTPockets

Terry - the treads are an aluminum extrusion but the rest of the staircase is steel.
That makes sense. Mine are doing the sagging, so I've been supporting the bottom step with the plastic Lego blocks which gives a solid step up.

brianlajoie

We converted from 3 to 4 step stairs. We are very happy with these new aluminum stairs. We went to the Lippert shop to have them installed while we were at the national rally.

jdfishing

I've gotta get back to another National Rally. Missing out on too much stuff. And I've got a brand new truck to get me there. Too early to sign up for 2017??? Lol

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just installed the Aluminum Quad steps on my LM365. Love them much better then the all steel steps were.
2016357c0cadc29bf53cf81a32942e59.jpg
8c74c2b41728bfbd4dddb383e12d2c26.jpg
cbc8c24c4347d2eb3b582f914587c9e3.jpg
b23915e5c19e335fa041e53c3e259511.jpg

wdk450

I added these to the bottom steps on our Gateway and they made a huge improvement in the stability of the step and I feel that they also take a lot of stress off the step assembly.

http://amzn.com/B0024ECHII

I have been using one of those step supports also for about 5 years, and through 2 sets of steps. When I posted about this previously, respondents told me that it should be mounted on the 2nd lowest step, not the lowest, due to steps side framework design. I personally didn't do that (yet).

I am glad to see that there is finally a 4 step alternative to the OEM Elkhart Tool and Die steps ( http://www.elkharttool.com/quad_rv_steps.html ).

Last edited:

TxCowboy

I have been using one of those step supports also for about 5 years, and through 2 sets of steps. When I posted about this previously, respondents told me that it should be mounted on the 2nd lowest step, no the lowest, due to steps side framework design. I personally didn't do that (yet).<snip>

From the Amazon photos, it looks to be installed on a three step system. The bottom step of a four step will likely be too low to the ground so I can see installing it on the second step from the bottom.

pegmikef

The Lippert 4 step stair is a replacement item. It was installed on our rig on an existing frame without modification.

I believe there is a three step version of this stair and it is supposed to work well with the shorter BHs that have the 10 inch frame vs. the 12 inch on the longer rigs. My 3010RE is ten inch, but my OEM steps work very well and don't warrant replacement.

brianlajoie

I believe there is a three step version of this stair and it is supposed to work well with the shorter BHs that have the 10 inch frame vs. the 12 inch on the longer rigs. My 3010RE is ten inch, but my OEM steps work very well and don't warrant replacement.

I also have a 3010RE and the 4 step version works very well on my trailer.