Visit to MORryde = empty bank account (pic heavy)

Power-Stroke

Took my 4200 to MORryde this week for a little work. I had intended to get the MORryde independent suspension (IS) and disc brakes. Unfortunately, the IS was going to raise the overall height by a couple of inches, so I ruled that option out (my 4200 is exactly 13’6” from the factory… remeasured and verified by MORryde engineers). Also, the rear plumbing presents challenges for the IS installation. After considering other MORryde suspension options (CRE, SRE and the LRE) I selected the LRE 4000. It was an easy choice after I saw the actual components.... to say these components are “beefy” would be an gross understatement. My primary drivers for this upgrade are to improve the overall ride and to reduce the beating the 4200 takes from the roads…. as much as possible. I also opted for the shackle and wet bolt upgrade. Again, "beefy" components! New bearings were also installed.

Camped in the MORryde parking lot over the weekend.

The carnage begins...

Shackle/Wet bolt upgrade (original shackle for reference)...

New hangers being welded in place...

Massive rubber shear spring...

All put together - rubber shear spring inside of hanger

Assembled..

Cross support mounted between each hanger...

Disc brakes were next on the list. Frankly, this was an easy choice. While I feel the electric drum brakes are adequate, they are less than confidence inspiring; especially in the mountains.

While waiting for the above work to be complete, I picked up a MORryde catalog in the customer lounge and decided I needed to add a pin box, basement cargo trays and power cord reel.

After everything was installed, I had a short 700 mile trip home (to NC) to get acquainted with my additions. Suspension worked as advertised. Smooth and soaked up road imperfections... not IS, but very good for a axle based trailer suspension in my humble opinion. I'm sure the pin box also contributed. Obviously, seat of the pants evaluation, nothing scientific.

The brakes..... wow! Not sure there's much to add. Confidence inspiring to say the least!

My experience with MORryde was excellent!

Jay

Update: Forgot to mention an experience I had while driving back home. I have the TST TPMS that show both tire pressure and temp. I have used this system for my 4100 and now my 4200 with almost identical results (regardless of day or night towing). After about 50 miles of driving, all three right side tires (passenger side) of the 5th wheel always shows tire pressures that are 8-10 psi higher than the left and temps 12-20 degress higher than the left. I've changed wheel sensors and get the same results. This is even after repacking bearings with amsoil grease for both toyhaulers. I've always assumed the right side was heavier than the left and thus created higher temps that lead to higher pressure.

On the drive home from MORryde (about 700 miles), I noticed something different. The largest delta I saw with wheel temps (all 6) was 2 degress and the tire (again, all 6) pressure delta was never greater than 4 psi. Not sure if the brakes where cooler, new bearings, etc.? The drive home covered both night and day and ambient temp ranges of 70 degress to about 54 degress. TPMS info held true all the way home.

I would appreciate any thoughts or explanations?

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mor-Ryde is a class act. Excellent customer service. They treat you like you are important. Great folks there.

Bones

I'm eyeing the SRE4000 upgrade for me and wet bolts. I can do that in my driveway. Your upgrade looks awesome. Enjoy your new suspension.

OEFVET

Jay,

I am going to MORryde next year and doing exactly what you had done. I've been in contact with Gary Wheeler and discussed all in depth. Can you explain the ride height difference with the IS? What would the new height be?

jbeletti

Jay - very nice! Than you for sharing the pics.

Chris - If I have this right, when installing the MORryde IS system, the amount of clearance you have from the top of your tires to the bottom of your fender wells is measured. This is called the maxium amount of available travel. The IS system has something like 5" or 6" of travel. To ensure you can get maximum suspension travel and therefore maximum suspension performance, the sub-frame they build up and weld onto your frame varies in height from one installation to the next. They then attach the IS system to this sub-frame.

When I installed IS on my coach, my design goal was no not raise the coach at all. In fact, if they could lower it slightly, that was best. I ended up with no change in overall height. So it worked out for me. Work with Gary and then with Rob Kolean (Service Manager) to get what you want. Bear in mind that what we want isn't always possible. Nice to have options.

OEFVET

Thanks Jim for the detailed explanation. I will contact Gary and discuss my options with him.

dewwood

It was nice chatting with you while we were waiting in the lounge. I appreciate your noticing my Ipad and letting them know I had left it there. I was only a few miles down the road when they called so it saved me from having to go all the way back.

Glad to hear your upgrades are working out and that your trip home went well. Again, thanks and maybe we will see each other sometime down the road.

Power-Stroke

OEFVET....
Jim's explanation is right on the mark. I will only add that the plumbing in the rear (drain pipes on the 4200) presents a unique challenge to installing the IS. I'm sure there are variations from unit to unit, but in my case, they would have to build the sub-frame to accommodate the rear plumbing which would have added additional (compared to "normal" IS installs) height to my 4200.

Bones....
The SRE is also a "beefy" option. As you know, the SRE is intended to bolt on. The LRE (which I did not know existed prior to my visit) cuts off old hangers and welds new ones in place. Also, the cross members are bolted on vs welded on the LRE. My understanding is they accomplish exactly the same outcome. Good luck.

dewwood....
Mr. Dewey, it was a sincere pleasure chatting and getting to know you. I hope our paths cross again. By the way.... great blog!

Jay

Last edited:

Power-Stroke

Mor-Ryde is a class act. Excellent customer service. They treat you like you are important. Great folks there.

Jim, I absolutely agree with your statement. While this was a significant investment (for me), I actually walked away feeling like the investment (both time and $) was more than "worth it". Certainly a rare experience for me! :)

Jay

scottyb

Nice looking rock solid improvements to the undercarriage. You are going to love the sliding trays. They appear to reduce your storage space, but they actually increase it by making it more accessible. You will have immediate access to everything in the middle without having to drag stuff out to get to it. I installed a MOR/Ryde two-way tray in the Cyclone and will never be without one again.

kdubinwa

Nice looking rock solid improvements to the undercarriage. You are going to love the sliding trays. They appear to reduce your storage space, but they actually increase it by making it more accessible. You will have immediate access to everything in the middle without having to drag stuff out to get to it. I installed a MOR/Ryde two-way tray in the Cyclone and will never be without one again.

What would be the pros and cons of 2 one way trays vs a single longer two way tray for the basement storage compartment?

scottyb

The only Con I can think of is that you can't access as much of your stuff from both sides. The two way tray slides out 60% in both directions. One of the Pros for having two trays is that many of the basement doors are not exactly lined up straight across with each other. You can see the offset in Power Stroke's photo. Also, you may not want or have the capability to have a two way tray. I have one bay that I am going to install a 60" tray because the bay doesn'y go all the way through.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 109

Power-Stroke

scottyb is "correctomundo"!

The 90" tray is the only one (per MORryde) that travels in both directions. I didn't have 90". The other consideration is what scottyb referenced, my basement is offset.

The only downside that I can see is I will have to remove a tray in order to remove the basement wall should I need to get to the water pump, etc. I'm now thinking through what would be necessary to build a "DRV type" sliding basement wall.

Jay

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The only downside that I can see is I will have to remove a tray in order to remove the basement wall should I need to get to the water pump, etc. I'm now thinking through what would be necessary to build a "DRV type" sliding basement wall.

Jay

Jay, check out the article in Heartland Highlights were we did add a "DRV like" sliding basement door. We love it! Has come in handy a number of times!!

//heartlandowners.org/club/other/newsletters/2014-Q2_Heartland_Highlights.pdf

Btw, the link may not work in Tapatalk. Copy paste the link into your browser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

OEFVET....
Jim's explanation is right on the mark. I will only add that the plumbing in the rear (drain pipes on the 4200) presents a unique challenge to installing the IS. I'm sure there are variations from unit to unit, but in my case, they would have to build the sub-frame to accommodate the rear plumbing which would have added additional (compared to "normal" IS installs) height to my 4200.

Bones....
The SRE is also a "beefy" option. As you know, the SRE is intended to bolt on. The LRE (which I did not know existed prior to my visit) cuts off old hangers and welds new ones in place. Also, the cross members are bolted on vs welded on the LRE. My understanding is they accomplish exactly the same outcome. Good luck.

dewwood....
Mr. Dewey, it was a sincere pleasure chatting and getting to know you. I hope our paths cross again. By the way.... great blog!

Jay

Thanks. That is good to know my money won't go down the tubes because I bought a bolt on kit. Sometimes the Bolton's don't do as good a job.

ILH

Thanks Power-Stroke, just one more thing for my 'if I win the lottery' list! :p

Power-Stroke

Bones...
After walking through a few of MORryde's facilities and seeing several different MORryde components, I would confidently say MORryde is very much an engineering company first (function before form). In my opinion, you will be pleased with the addition of the SRE (and anything else you choose to add from MORryde).
Jay

- - - Updated - - -

ILH....
I hear ya! This also represents a significant investment for us. After it was all said and done, I feel it was well worth it to reduce stopping distance and the reduction of road shock to the 5th wheel (and it's contents). Time will be the final arbiter.
Jay