Second A/C questions,,,

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
We are headed back to Kemah, Tx and it is warm there, soon to be Hot. We would like to order a second a/c for the bedroom and had a few questions.

1. If you have a 13.5K do you find it sufficient? In hindsight would you have gone for the 15K?

2. Do you have a heatstrip or heat pump, if a heatstrip, do you find it sufficient?

Thanks for the help,,, Lizzy

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I put a Carrier 13.5 in our BH 3600 with the heat strip. I went with Carrier because in was 2+ inches lower and a few pounds lighter than the other units. It does a great job cooling. I like the fact that the air vents have the ability to rotate up and down. That feature seems to do a good job of moving the air around. The heat strip is okay, but in the future I would go with the heat pump. Good luck with your decision.

Delaine and Lindy

We just added the 2nd A/C to our Landmark its a Penguin 13,500 Low Profile, works great for us. We had a 13,500 with the heat strip in our Cambridge. I installed the heat strip, very simple just plug and play. I think it helped some what we were in Montana and Wyoming, however don't think I will add one to the Landmark. I for sure think all 5th wheels need the 2nd A/C. No 5th wheel I have been in can cool with just one A/C. Lot of dealerships will tell you that you only need one, I don't believe that, try spending time in Texas or Florida or Az, then you will understand the need for a 2nd A/C. If nothing else just for a back-up. I think all you need is a 13,500 for the 2nd A/C. GBY....

jimtoo

Yep,,,get the second A/C. Prob a 13,500 will be good enough, thats what we have and we use it to help cool it down when first parking. Also here in Texas it is sometimes needed during the day to help keep it comfortable. For the winter time, I do not have a heat strip or heat pump. We just use a little heater or two that we purchased at, (where else) Wal Mart when it gets cold. We have camped in 30* weather and not used the furnace except for an hour or so to make sure nothing froze and make a quick warm up.

Give a shout if you guys get down to CC or San Antonio.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Elizabeth;

We have the 13.5k with heat pump in the B/R and the 15k with heat pump in the living area. When the temps were 108 in Texas, the coach was 73. Don't hesitate. You will need it and it will do the job. No heat strips and don't need them. We run the heat pumps all winter in temps above 30.

John

madigand

We put the 13.5 with heat pump in bedroom. We have gotten used to the sound of the fan constantly running. I agree with other posters, need 2 AC's especially if hot and humid like Kemah. we are currently in Gladewater and the run-off looks like a water hose that has been left partially turned on.

ChopperBill

Here is a guy that only needs one A/C. Of course we have the smallest BH available and have the TIMK TENT IN THE VENT! IF we ever needed a second I would probably go with a Polar Cub 9000. Quiet, used less power and would do a great job no bigger than the bedroom is. Well, camping in the WY, Colo mountains in the summer and AZ in the winter doesnt require a lot of A/C anyway.

Rickhansen

A/C sizing

We've got the 13K BTU 2nd A/C installed from the factory. We're full-time in Florida (in the 90's routinely lately), and it's been running a little bit lately to trim the load. In the heat of the day, the bedroom run a couple degrees warmer, just because the heat rises along the ceiling, and the main air conditioner pushes less cold air up front.

Bear in mind, you're better to have a smaller A/C in many cases. Running more often and longer provides better dehumidification than shorter, less frequent cycles. That makes you feel more comfortable even a t a higher temperature. It's also easier on the equipment - starting is the least efficient, highest wear part of the refrigeration cycle. The refrigeration oil takes a little runtime to get pulled through the compressor, and make its way through the evaporator and back to the compressor.

Another note, is that the bedroom A/C is inherently more prone to short cycling already due to the close quarters and proximity to the thermostat.

A little smaller is usually better with A/C.