Landing Gear Motor Replacement

psdl*99

I took delivery of our 2009 3612 at the end of Feb and started to blow landing gear motor fuses before our first trip. I ended up replacing three of the 30amp fuses before I took it in to the dealership. There test showed it was drawing 40 amps. They ended up getting a replacement motor. Problem is solved but I still have a question... is this common?

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I haven't done any research, on the forum, but don't remember any posts regarding this problem. We have not had any problems with the landing gear on our big horn, and would imagine that the electric landing gear is common on all the the Heartland rigs.

truknutt

Committed Member
Seems this is common problem as ht's thread indicates.

The fuse on my Cyclone 3210 was also found to be blown during our PDI. Glad it was because I probably never would have found it on my own. It took 2 techs over 10 minutes to find the inline fuse holder. They thought it had to do with the pre-PDI prep of the generator.

It hasn't blown again but then I brought the rig home and put it in its garage bay right away. Time will tell.

buztan99

At least your fuse blew

My son lifted my jacks for me, not two weeks after the unit was purchased. He held the button in forever, the jacks went all the way up and broke before the fuse blew. They have since repaired the unit and fixed the electrical so the fuse will blow before damage occurs.

viking4545

I have now gone through 11 fuses on my landing gear in 4 trips. It is at the dealer now to see if they can find something wrong. Ill keep you posted.

PUG

Pug
It totally blows me away that Heartland and Lippert have not fixed this very very common and underengineered problem. I had a Cyclone 3950 for three years. It started out blowing fuses so my brother who is an electrician, put me on to "fuse circuit breakers" that I picked up at Auto Zone. These are a resetting fuse and helps the problem of replacing fuses but not the overall problem of an underengineered system. After six months of purchase I had a dealer replace the original electric motor with a larger heavier duty motor. This worked for about 2 1/2 years. Very slow but at least worked for a while.

This year after going south to Tucson I knew the motor was going out again as it was heating up and stinking. I called Lippert and they suggested going to a dual motor system which I ordered from them. It makes sense to have two motors then one and it appeared to work pretty effortlessly and took about six hours to put in. You replace door side leg with a new one that has it's own motor on it. The cross over rod from the left side to the right goes to the junk yard also. You replace the old right leg, wire it in (easy enough), wire in a second switch (operate both at the same time not separately) and it raised and lowered pretty nicely. I used it twice and traded the coach off for a new Carriage. Over the years I owned the Cyclone I did most all repair myself but only put in $1,853 in replacement items which isn't bad.

The wife and I had been a little uncomfortable with the Cyclone Toy Hauler small living room so we were looking at the regular Heartlands and saw that basically they were of the same quality and construction as our (mid entry level Cyclone. Nice but not quite there. We looked at Montanas and they were of lesser construction and some cheapo items like the shower stalls. We looked at others and then ran into the Carriage 36fws which is a 37 1/2 foot full wall slide and fell in love with it. Of course better construction and better components come at a cost but we felt it was worth it. So why am I on the Heartland Forum and not the Carriage. Easy. This is still the best forum for helpful people and I like to be able to help people with my past knowledge of the Heartland.