Which flooring should be used?

Tundra2084

Okay we really want to replace the carpet in the livingroom with either laminate flooring or vinyl click flooring. So my question is which is the best to use in an RV? Because our slideouts ride ùp over the current carpet we are assuming that as long as the new flooring is the same height or slightly lower we shouldn't have any problems with the slides. But because of the constant changes in temperature such as going from Canada to Florida in winter, which would be the best flooring?
We would like to go from in front of the fireplace up into the kitchen. We have a rear entertainment unit with a kitchen without an island, mid unit. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

rxbristol

I don't know which is the best, but we laid Karndean loose lay flooring (Link). It's never been proven in an RV application, but we've had it for six months and love it. Besides stone, it's the toughest floor I've every had.

Last edited:

Okieman

I have a soft spot in my 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon to repair so I thought of replacing the vinyl sheet flooring with a laminate product. Is your new flooring still holding up satisfactory? Any problems where the slide out rollers go across the flooring? I would plan on removing the carpet in the living room also and using the laminate. Any hints or tricks you found when installing? A number of years ago I installed laminate in a house we used to own, so I am familiar with the installation techniques.

Randy Howeth
Osage Beach, MO.
2011 Landmark Grand Canyon
2009 Chevy 2500HD Durmax

Tundra2084

Would Not advise using allure flooring. The seams pulled apart from each other on our way home from Florida. It was put in while in Florida and while traveling home the seams separated from each other. The slide also left marks on the floor. We used the 4mm vinyl allure sold at lowes. Floor will have to be replaced again.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We used Vinyl click and lock....it works great and is water resistant, which laminate is not. Have had a few end seams come apart during travel, but the easily go right back together. As for the slides...we have no problem with the kitchen rollered slide...leaves no marks. The other slide, however, the flush floor slide, hovers over the floor when in transit....we just put a couple throw runs down and bring the slide in. When the slide bounces it contacts the rug...not the flooring.

rxbristol

Our Karndean flooring has held up great...we couldn't be happier with it. No problems with our slides. At first, we used slickers, but we don't use them anymore.

DougS

Doug S
We replaced the floor in our 2011 Grand Canyon about 1 1/2 years before we traded it in. We used the Shaw vinyl 4" X 48" click flooring from Lowe's. We had several joints that opened about 1/16", but a simple toe kick and it went back together. We used a couple of drops of glue on these joints and they stayed together.
We removed the vinyl original flooring and rug before installing. We ever so slightly jacked up one wall to get the vinyl under the rollers and cut around the rollers that are attached to the floor.
We also had to add 1/4 round moulding to allow the floor to expand. Installation was easy, We cut the flooring with heavy duty scissors.
I believe the flooring from Home Depot might also work, they are held together with contact glue on over lapping strips. We used the Shaw flooring because it was stocked in store, had the shade we wanted, and unopened boxes could be returned. Bottom line, we loved the flooring and would do it again if our current flooring needed replacement.
As for Randy's Grand Canyon, the only hard part to do was under the counter that slides in and out. This section requires two people, one on each side of the counter.