Spray Foam Insulation for Garage Floor

Lynn1130

I have been trying to decide which route to take to insulate the underside of the garage floor since we use the trailer during cold months for elk hunting and camping. We all know that lack of good heat is a common issue with the Cyclone garage and there have been many questions posted about how to cure that problem. Some have insulated with roll or board insulation but I am wondering if spray foam might be a solution. It sticks to the surface it is sprayed on and gives a good R value at about 2" of foam. So, what are the thoughts, suggestions and warnings that members might have concerning the use of this product for this purpose? I have attached a YouTube piece that is rather long but it gives a good idea of the product and installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xPIgRLuBE

wehavefun

You will gain R7 per inch

It will add strength and hold up well.

About $1 per inch per Sq ft for cost

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

hoefler

Closed cell foam will give an R value of 7.5 per inch as stated above. It is hard shelled when cured, and very durable. Open cell is soft when cured and can be collapsed easily. Contact your local insulation company, closed cell is more than open, but much more durable.

Westwind

The only question I might have is where foam touches frame - would moisture or humidity eventually cause the frame to rust where the foam attaches to it? - would there be a method to insure that it doesn't? Is there a way you could position wiring etc. so you could get at it later for repairs?
Other then that it sound like it would definitely make a difference.

RoadJunkie

Be sure your product does not out gas harmful material in larger application; Some foam-type insulation will out gas formaldehyde, for example. Foam insulation may also squeak as it rubs against other material.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would lean toward a removable insulation.
I'm working on a design for a "cage" of sorts to store my Tote Tank under the garage. Trimming away styrofoam or fiberglass batting would be much easier than whittling away sprayed in foam.
I hate doing anything that can't be undone easily when I come up with another idea

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used 2" foam insulation, doubled it up, glued and screwed it and put it every where I could. The Horns floor is now warm. The 2" foam works great under the bed room floor. Cut it and install between the floor joists.

gpshemi

I used foam board too, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have it sprayed. I think it would turn out better, and would be far less work. To each his own though for sure.

oscar

I would go with the spray for all the reasons above, EXCEPT where there are systems, ie the tank, and whatever else is there. Removing spray foam to get to something is a PITA.

kjm1970

closed cell foam is impervious to both air and moisture. You would be fine. Just make sure your substrate is clean.