Outdoor speakers leaking

Blue Oval

So we bought our camper last August. A few months after we took possession we noticed water coming from under the kitchen counter. It had leaked enough water to swell and split the bottom of the cabinet that supports the counter top and sink. It also caused discoloration and the glue to separate from the floor around the cabinet. Took it to the dealer, they checked all the plumbing couldn't find a leak. Dealer replaced the damaged parts of the cabinets. Fast forward a few months later, we noticed it again, but it is random. We left our camper (which is kept under a pole barn at home) at a campground for a month in July. Again we started having water coming out from under the cabinet and damaging the wood and the floor. Took it to the dealer again 2 days after my 1 year warranty went out. They did a pressure test, no leaks. For some reason they decided to run water on the outside of the camper in the area of the kitchen. Bingo, water on the floor. Turns out the culprit was the exterior speakers. Not around the outside, but the cardboard material that is inside the speakers had deteriorated allowing rain to get in and run down the hot water heater to the floor and out. I think when the camper was slightly leaning to the opposite side we noticed it more. Otherwise it would stay under the cabinet around the water heater. So after that long story I'm in a battle to see if I'm going to get any help from Heartland, the speaker company or neither. Never would have thought to look there for the leak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rxbristol

Re: Speakers leaking

Good post. Something that all those with exterior speakers should watch for.

TxCowboy

I believe you're going to have a hard time getting some sort of warranty coverage. Camping World doesn't warranty anything -- that's up to Heartland. CW is a RV retailer and a RV repair shop.

And the speaker manufacturer will warranty the speakers to perform but will likely not cover what the speakers are installed in, in this case, an RV.

Question: Is there some sort of water / weather seal that SHOULD have been installed behind the speakers and was not installed? If so, that might be the basis for some type of remedy from HL.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

If they are Jensen speakers . . . contact them!

They won't pay for water damage, but they might send you another set of speakers!

They offered me this for our previous trailer . . . but I decided not to accept them.

Blue Oval

I believe you're going to have a hard time getting some sort of warranty coverage. Camping World doesn't warranty anything -- that's up to Heartland. CW is a RV retailer and a RV repair shop.

And the speaker manufacturer will warranty the speakers to perform but will likely not cover what the speakers are installed in, in this case, an RV.

Question: Is there some sort of water / weather seal that SHOULD have been installed behind the speakers and was not installed? If so, that might be the basis for some time of remedy from HL.
I meant Heartland not CW, thanks I corrected that. Yes there was discussion about some type of sealant. Was it or wasn't it used. They removed and sent the speakers back to the manufacturer. Supposedly there was some guy being flown in to look at them. I just dropped the camper off again 2 days ago for them to start the blame game. Apparently the speaker company has agreed to help, but to what degree is still up in the air.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I had the same problem, but not as bad. The cone of the speaker deteriorated and was open to the elements.

Switched to a pair of better quality Kenwood boat speakers for only $60. After 4 years, they have weathered much better.

Sometimes for me, it's easier to just correct the problem and move on. Trace

GOTTOYS

I meant Heartland not CW, thanks I corrected that. Yes there was discussion about some type of sealant. Was it or wasn't it used. They removed and sent the speakers back to the manufacturer. Supposedly there was some guy being flown in to look at them. I just dropped the camper off again 2 days ago for them to start the blame game. Apparently the speaker company has agreed to help, but to what degree is still up in the air.

I can't imagine anyone flying someone in to look at a pair of $10.00 cardboard speaker cones to try and figure out why they leak. Sounds like someone is feeding you a line. Just replace the junk, poor sounding speakers with something decent and cut a piece of poly to fit over the openings before you screw on the speaker grills. Problem solved. Not worth wasting your time to only end up with a new pair of the same junk you started with...Don

Blue Oval

I think the purpose or supposed purpose is to cover the cost of the repair to the cabinets and floor.

ChangingPlaces

We replaced our speakers with Fusion waterproof boat speakers. We have had no problems with water coming in at all, even when I wash the rig.