PDA

View Full Version : Still can't get TV channels

Oregon_Camper
10-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Had a quick trip out this weekend.... Only 40 mins from home.

I know for sure TV channels are broadcasted this far as my neighbor was getting OTA tv

So... What am I doing wrong? Scanned for channels numerous times... Changed coax cable connection above TV... Nothing. I tried with the button pushed on (on) and out (off).

Attached images of how it is setup now.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/205d1c1c3c3daf873e412e029fe6557b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/3616de9fa886257778325b39062c74d8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Garypowell
10-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Don't know your unit...I am sure someone who does will chim in. But a couple of quick hints.

1. For ~$40 you can get a "toner" at big box home store. With this you can trace all your lines. Many in the past have reported finding bad cables, loose connections.

2. If you are that close to home you should get 20+ channels with a coat hanger. I would prove that the tv is actually working. You can find directions on the web....get the analog to cable connector ar Radio Shack for $8.

JohnD
10-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Did you try running the coax off of the other connection on the bottom of that brown plate to the back of the TV?

Mine was labled cable on top and satellite on the bottom . . . but guess where the cable and antenna came out?

HINT: . . . it wasn't the one labled 'cable'.

I also discovered that everything in the basement concerning TV, cable and satellite was hooked up completely backwards to the point that I removed every single splitter in the trailer and connected everything so there was one straight shot from the antenna all the way back to the living room.

I also discovered that the trailer's built-in stereo (Fussion) was shorting out the antenna and cable at the splitter inside of the entertainment center, so now we don't have any AM/FM radio in the trailer.

It is going in this week to get these and several other warranty issues resolved!

danemayer
10-25-2015, 02:24 PM
In the bedroom, press the button to turn on the signal booster. The LED on that panel will light up and a rescan should bring in channels.

maddog
10-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Antenna amplifier turned on?

JohnD
10-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Antenna amplifier turned on?

In the OP he said he tried it both on and off.

Oregon_Camper
10-25-2015, 09:40 PM
In the OP he said he tried it both on and off.

Yep...no luck either way.

JohnD
10-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Yep...no luck either way.

Did you try switching the coax to the other connection on either of the brown wall plates?

As I mentioned, ours were labeled backwards and I found I was getting the antenna and cable through the one marked 'satellite'.

What I did was to run a 50-foot coax cable from the bedroom ceiling plate (where the antenna is hooked up directly along with the red button for the signal amplifier and ran it all the way down to the living room TV and hooked it to the back directly to see if I was getting the cable signal at least from there) . . . which I was.

This also told me that the problem had to be in the wiring down in the basement . . . which it was!

I then removed all of the splitters in the basement (also disconnected the cable outlet in the basement for an outside TV) and in the entertainment center (two splitters total) and made it one straight coax line all the way to the wall plate in the entertainment center.

This brought the signal back to the TV in the living room, but still not good!

It was when I remembered that there was one more splitter inside the entertainment center behind the built-in stereo and disconnected the radio coax antenna connection that I suddenly got an almost perfect picture to the living room TV.

I removed that splitter as well, but the coax wires have shorts in them behind the stereo and I had to wedge them in there just right to keep the signal.

My dealership is going to completely rewire the coax system in our trailer next week while it is in for warranty repairs, and am waiting to hear if Heartland is going to replace the stereo as it has never worked very good, either.

gasman
10-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Unscrew the antenna booster and check to see how the coaxes are connected. Mine were not on the correct terminals. Once I switched them I had great TV.

etcmss
10-26-2015, 05:05 AM
has it ever worked? same result on both TV's I take it? Any recent work at the antenna area? My connections in the entertainment cabinet to the TV were backwards. I found that when trying to get satellite to work.
Gary

jmgratz
10-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Here is my comment. Check the connectors that they are properly installed, tight and in the proper position. But why has this been such an on-going issue over the years. Why won't the factory train their employees (all involved regarding which factory) to properly install the connectors, and to connect the correct wire to the correct terminal?

HornedToad
10-26-2015, 08:31 AM
A problem I've had with my OTA signal...
My Direct TV is hooked up to all the TVs on channel 3
and I can watch OTA by changing the channel on the TV.

With the booster on or off, when the Direct TV box is on
I loose a few of the OTA network channels,
but I can pick them up when the Direct TV box is off???

Oregon_Camper
10-26-2015, 09:02 AM
has it ever worked? same result on both TV's I take it? Any recent work at the antenna area? My connections in the entertainment cabinet to the TV were backwards. I found that when trying to get satellite to work.
Gary

We've never camped where we'd have service, so I'm not sure it if has ever worked.

We're going out again in 3 weeks, so I'll try swapping the Satellite/Cable connections.

BTW...our 3160 only came with 1 TV. (which I'm fine with)....was I suppose to have 2?

Bob&Patty
10-26-2015, 10:35 AM
That would depend on how the coach was ordered. A quick call the HL with your VIN# and they could tell you yes or no on the 2nd TV.

Bogie
10-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I don't know what TV you have, but after checking the connections you might want to check your TV settings before you re-scan to make sure the scan is set to Over The Air channels and NOT Cable Channels. These are two very different scans. Scanning on cable channels when using the antenna will give the result you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD
10-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Neither of our two Heartland's came with TV's . . .

The two we have in our Prowler are the same two I bought for our previous Trail Runner.

You get a much better TV for half the price when you buy your own.

Oregon_Camper
10-26-2015, 11:34 AM
I don't know what TV you have, but after checking the connections you might want to check your TV settings before you re-scan to make sure the scan is set to Over The Air channels and NOT Cable Channels. These are two very different scans. Scanning on cable channels when using the antenna will give the result you describe.

I thought of this, but there is no option (on my TV) to scan OTA. I just get one option and it scans all sources (take about 4-5 minutes to complete)

danemayer
10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
What's the make and model of the TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gasman
10-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Okay I remembered the problem I had. The cable and antenna coaxes were reversed on the back of the booster. I switched them around and all was well.

etcmss
10-27-2015, 04:59 AM
Scanning OTA TV channels to me means to scan antenna---the TV may or may not be selected to antenna. and then when hooked up to cable---with booster off a new scan is done.
My 3260EL is almost the same as 3160 and we have 2TV's. Did you order without the bedroom unit? You would have remembered excluding the other TV I suspect. Ours is mounted above the dresser.
And the comment about "why can't the factory get this right (or fix this)? I have wondered that for quite some time also----it is not that hard, and seems many PDI's don't uncover this ---tells me they don't check all modes or connections........needs fixed.
Gary

wdk450
10-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Oregon Camper:
If I were troubleshooting your TV problems I would:
1) Check out the TV for correct Over the Air TV reception with a pair of rabbit ears antenna outside.
2) Remove the amplifier wallplate (the one with the light and push switch), unscrew the coax to the rooftop antenna, and see if there is 12 volts DC on the connector for that coax on the amplifier (with the power switch pressed ant the pilot light ON).
3) See if there is an F connector on the coax outside the roof at the antenna. You may have to remove the antenna from the roof if the connection is inside the roof. With the coax reconnected to the amplifier plate and the power turned on, see if there is 12 volts DC at the antenna end of the cable. If the last test fails, you have a problem in the coax wiring between the amplifier plate and the antenna connection. You can double verify this by connection an EXTERNAL coax cable from the amplifier connection directly to the antenna connection, and then seeing if your antenna performance is now better.

Here is a link to the Weinguard amplifier manual, with good wallplate drawings on page 6 : http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electronics/Antennas/Winegard/Winegard_Sensar_Antenna_Installation_and_Operation _Manual.pdf

Az_Ernie
10-27-2015, 09:07 AM
We've never camped where we'd have service, so I'm not sure it if has ever worked.

We're going out again in 3 weeks, so I'll try swapping the Satellite/Cable connections.

BTW..our 3160 only came with 1 TV. (which I'm fine with)....was I suppose to have 2?
We did not factory order our 3160EL (purchased from dealer inventory), it was equipped with two TV's, one in living room and one in bedroom. I'd check Heartland's web site and see what equipment is considered standard on your rig.

Gaffer
10-27-2015, 10:31 AM
There must be a button on the TV remote that says source or input. Verify that it is set to antenna.

Oregon_Camper
11-15-2015, 12:20 AM
Back in Bighorn right now... Still no channels found. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/14/069c9bf35d8f7531579853140a177c9f.jpg

etcmss
11-15-2015, 06:14 AM
You didn't really tell us what you changed since last discussion so ????-----did you try direct outside cable connection to TV? did you check the cable line resistance with one end shorted and not shorted?
Gary

danemayer
11-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Once more: what's the Make/Model of your TV?

JohnD
11-15-2015, 09:11 AM

Looks like it might be an LG . . .

In that photo above of the scanning menu . . . that menu looks just like the menu in our LG BluRay player.

jmgratz
11-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Had a quick trip out this weekend.... Only 40 mins from home.

I know for sure TV channels are broadcasted this far as my neighbor was getting OTA tv

So... What am I doing wrong? Scanned for channels numerous times... Changed coax cable connection above TV... Nothing. I tried with the button pushed on (on) and out (off).

Attached images of how it is setup now.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/205d1c1c3c3daf873e412e029fe6557b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/25/3616de9fa886257778325b39062c74d8.jpg

The black hookup in the middle with the red button is the amplifier hookup. The red button should be illuminated when the amplifier is on. There should be a button to push on that faceplate to turn on the ampifier. You probably will not get any channels with the amplifier turned off.

JohnD
11-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Back in Bighorn right now... Still no channels found.

You might try two things . . .

First off, if you have the batwing antenna, get rid of it and buy a King/Jack antenna . . . under $50 at Camping World!

Mounts to the batwing arm and takes less than 5 minutes to install (and you can use the amplifier already in your trailer).

In our side yard, I used to get around 35 channels with the batwing . . . and just installing the King/Jack . . . almost 80 channels!

Secondly . . . a signal meter ($33 at Camping World), which connects between the TV and the antenna, has you rotate the antenna to search for the location of the TV stations and lights up when it locates them.

Before getting the signal meter I used to spend a half hour or more trying to find out where the TV stations were . . . with the signal meter I find them in less than 30 seconds!

41482 41483 41484

Almost all of our TV issues in the Prowler were the splitters being wired up wrong from the factory . . . I'll be that may be were your issues are as well!

There are also some APPS out there for locating the TV towers . . . but not as good as the signal meter pictured above.

Oregon_Camper
11-16-2015, 12:39 AM

LG
Model 47LB5900-UV

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't really tell us what you changed since last discussion so ????-----did you try direct outside cable connection to TV? did you check the cable line resistance with one end shorted and not shorted?
Gary

I personally did nothing, as it was at the dealer getting serviced. They told me there were no problems, and I didn't check it before leaving their lot, as I had to get home, in order to leave for this trip.

- - - Updated - - -

You might try two things . . .

First off, if you have the batwing antenna, get rid of it and buy a King/Jack antenna . . . under $50 at Camping World!

Mounts to the batwing arm and takes less than 5 minutes to install (and you can use the amplifier already in your trailer).

In our side yard, I used to get around 35 channels with the batwing . . . and just installing the King/Jack . . . almost 80 channels!

There are a lot of these on the market. Which specific model number did you purchase?

JohnD
11-16-2015, 12:44 AM
There are a lot of these on the market. Which specific model number did you purchase?

Here is a link to the King/Jack at CW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-digital-hdtv-antenna-replacement-head/68415

I printed out this page and took it in to the local CW store and they matched the internet price.

I'm thinking about buying another one and putting it up on the roof of our house and making a frisbee out of our Direct TV dish!

$140 a month and over half of the programming is infomercials???????????