Carpet removed from LR slide on 4100

mixie57

Being frustrated with the layout to begin with, it really doesn't take much for me to imagine things as they should be in my "home". As my husband can attest to, I get these hair brained ideas all the time. He has been generous enough to listen to me on some of the less wild ideas. Having more than the lion's share of cats and all the mess that goes with it, the couch had to go and so did the carpet in the living room slide out. The couch went one day when my husband was gone all day and I got the tools and removed each piece and pushed it out the RV door. We then purchased a couple of cheap stressless chairs while in Florida at Kane's furniture store, 2 foldable chairs from Amazon, and an extendable table from Ikea when we were in Tampa. Didn't get around to the carpet until this past summer. My husband was still not sold on the removal but, again, while he was sleeping, I removed it and pitched it out the door. As you can see, I commit completely.

I struggled to find the vinyl or a matching vinyl. It seems this is OEM and inevitably has to be ordered from Heartland. We ordered it and while in Ohio, we drove the 4hrs up to Elkhart to pick it up; definitely cheaper that way. We cleaned up the floor, removing as much of the foil as we could. It took some real close work to get all the staples out, missed a few and paid the price in scrapes. Borrowed a belt sander from my parents and sanded it till it was clean and smooth. I cleaned the floor with a damp cloth and cut the vinyl. Applied floor adhesive just on the perimeter of the slide and laid it down. As you can see in the pictures, I removed the original vinyl where the table leg holes were. My husband came up with a plan on covering the holes by placing small piece of PVC with a cap on it and then after some adjustments to get it level with the floor, he put some "Great Stuff" in the gaps. I sanded down some of the "stuff" that got away and cut a piece of vinyl, taking it all the way to the slide gap. BUT, forgot to match the pattern (my husband didn't get this and just shook his head and muttered something) I cut it again, this time making sure I had a pattern that matched the existing vinyl it was bumped up to. I had a few cracks in my seam and just put some seam sealer in them. You can't even tell it wasn't perfect. My husband & I trolled hardware stores looking for a way to finish the overlap edge. We asked RV techs, Heartland, even the hardware associates, and no one had a good idea on how to finish this. My husband stopped at a Georgia Carpet Outlet in Richmond Indiana and the guy had just the product for it. It really was perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_6606.jpg
    IMG_6606.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6604.jpg
    IMG_6604.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6599.JPG
    IMG_6599.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice job!

What were the holes from? When I replaced my flooring there were no holes.

I think they had a removable table with the round metal poles that sink into holes in the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Mickie,
Did you have a small section of carpet on the main floor as well as the slide? If so did you just pull it up or did you replace it with the vinyl? We are looking at possibly doing this mod and I'm looking around for ideas.

ncc1701e

What did you use to trim out the edge? I like the look and the carpet in our slide really needs to be replaed. Just do not have an idea how to trim out the expsed edge.

mixie57

Yes, we did have that small section of carpet. That is where the holes were for the table legs. The vinyl went underneath it. We laid the new vinyl over it at a place that matched the pattern of the adjoining vinyl and cut out that piece & removed it. That way the new piece matched edge to edge. We glued that piece down.

mixie57

643deb5ee14831da1a54293745937617.jpg

This is a pic of what the edging looks like.

Bones

Yes, we did have that small section of carpet. That is where the holes were for the table legs. The vinyl went underneath it. We laid the new vinyl over it at a place that matched the pattern of the adjoining vinyl and cut out that piece & removed it. That way the new piece matched edge to edge. We glued that piece down.

Thanks for the info.

twohappycampers

Just a quick note ... we removed ALL the flooring, carpet & lino, and put down commercial grade carpet tiles that we bought from Costco online. We think it looks great. Time consuming but easy enough to do. And the slide didn't require any edging because it's a finished edge and blends right in, you can barely tell. We don't have pets so didn't have to take that into consideration. Happy to answer any questions.

ncc1701e

Just a quick note ... we removed ALL the flooring, carpet & lino, and put down commercial grade carpet tiles that we bought from Costco online. We think it looks great. Time consuming but easy enough to do. And the slide didn't require any edging because it's a finished edge and blends right in, you can barely tell. We don't have pets so didn't have to take that into consideration. Happy to answer any questions.

Any pics?

mixie57

Forgot to post pic of the new vinyl over the leg holes, run all the way to the slide out edge.

ae39f5807c05a6f64b7332ef8d7491c2.jpg