Gelcoat & Dual Panes Necessary?

btboyd

Howdy to Everyone.
We're about to close a deal on a new 09 3400RL. We joined this forum to see what's out there first as far as actual users. The options list is staggering, to say the least. We've worked through 'em all, are not full-timers and this is our first trailer. We are wondering about anyone's opinion on the high-gloss gelcoat finish and the dual pane windows. Expensive items, and we initially don't think either are necessary. What do you more experienced owners think?

Please advise, and many thanks!
Brian Boyd
Paso Robles, CA

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
This is our first trailer too, but we wanted to get everything we thought we had a chance of needing. The gel coat really adds to the look and the ease of cleaning. The dual panes add insulation for both temp and noise. Since you are in a sunny area, that insulation might come in handy for you to.

Are gel coat and dual panes necessary? They are for us and we don't regret buying them.

Kristy

SmokeyBare

Those two items were one main reason we ordered our BigHorn...

we had a short list of items we wanted... Gel Coat and Dual Windows were on top..... electric rear jacks.... another...

I also made sure it was wired and framed for a second A/C... which gave us a 50 AMP shore power cable...

boatdoc

Being in the boat business and seeing how tough it is, gelcoat was no question for us. The dual panes we thought we didn't need but once we sat in a trailer with them we won't be without them if for some reason we think we need a new Heartland product again because of how quiet it is inside.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We bought our rig off of the lot, so we took the options that came with it. It came with gelcoat but no dual pane windows. After living in it since last Sept. we definitely would have ordered the dual pane windows. On cool nights the bed is a bit cold. I can feel the cold air when I put my hand close to the windows in the bedroom slideout. Having worked in the remodel industry for 10 yrs and selling dual pane replacement windows, I should have listened to my own sales pitch. I know they will provide extra comfort from the weather (both heat and cold) and noise.
Fred

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Working right now on the first wax job on our Bighorn. Get the gel-coat. It makes a huge difference in ease of cleaning, and seems to stay cleaner as well. We bought off the lot, but if given the choice, I'd also take the dual pane windows just for the noise reduction. We camp all year, but usually not where it's really cold.

btboyd

Hello all,
Many, many thanks to all who replied to our gelcoat and dual pane window concerns! We really appreciate it. We've come to our senses now, and realize the benefit of these two very important options. Thanks so much for helping us decide!

Happy trails to everyone, and Thanks again!