Residential Fridge Icemaker Water Line

OmniDynmc

I have a BC 3900 FLP with the residential fridge and have read several posts about the water lines and winter use. I did notice that my icemaker water line, like everyone has said, runs from the kitchen sink cold down and out of the trailer then back in under the slide-out. Now ironically the slide-out encompasses the whole kitchen, sink, stove, washer, fridge and washer/dryer. Is there a reason the manufacturer routes the line out and back in when it could easily just route directly from the sink line to the fridge without going outside?

I am using this RV for full time and I'd like to use the icemaker and water dispenser. Is there a good reason not to replace the current plastic line with a steel braided line directly from the sink to the fridge without routing it out the slide?

Thanks for any help!

rxbristol

I think you have a great idea if you can move the fridge out to access the back. Getting it off the slide and back-up will require two people.

danemayer

I think the engineer designed it with a drain valve under the slide for easy winterizing. When we tried this, we found it didn't drain very well.

If you're going to run a direct line inside, I'd forget the drain. If you ever have to winterize or evacuate water from the line, you'll want to use compressed air. Having a place near the water cutoff to connect the air compressor fitting would be a good idea.

OmniDynmc

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like I have a project next week. :)

I have a compressor and blow it out when needed for storage so I think I'm going to make that drain disappear and replace it direct with steel braided then!

Greg