Proper cleaning of the awning

Hey there fellow Heartlander's,
Could someone please help me in the proper procedure of cleaning our awning. I have already washed and waxxed the Trailrunner, cleaned and conditioned the rubber roof and now I have left is the awning. I was just curious how you folks do it so I can do it the right way.
Thanks for your time.
Greg

madigand

I rinse it off with water, spray it with Simple Green, roll it up for about 15 minutes. I then unroll it, brush it good and rinse off. Saves a lot of elbow grease letting the Simple Green do the work.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like madigand, we use Simple Green but we don't roll the awning up. We use the same extension brush used on the trailer. To do the top side, with the awning extended, we disconnect the awning arms at the bottom and put them under the trailer. Now you can get to the top.

Jimmyt5

Since you just wax the rig, be careful with some of these cleaners, it will take the wax off....

Forrest Fetherolf

I wash the slide covers with soap and water (Simple Green, 409, etc) then I apply Wax Shop LRV.
http://www.waxdepot.com/mm5/merchan...e_Code=WD&Product_Code=WS34&Category_Code=CK1

This is the best of the best, I use it on the dash, door panels, rubber mats, leather seats, boat seats, vinyl trim, vinyl awnings, etc. I have used Armor All and several other brands, LRV does not cause windshields to haze after dash application. I buy on-line by the case and have given several friends a bottle.........they were convinced.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

I use a 5 gal bucket with warm water, <1 oz of detergent and a little sodium hypochlorite "bleach". Way back when I started rv'n I read about that mixture some where and it works great. The newer stuff is probably better but this has worked well for me and it is economical. If you keep the awning clean and free of mold it will last many years.........

Forrest Fetherolf

HT and Fred,

I have space for two more friends.............come on down to the Nevada Rally Sept 26/28-08 to pick up your LRV, Oklahoma and Washington is only a few of states away. :D

Forrest- Nevada Chapter Leader 08 Rally

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking about the detergent and bleach, I will keep in mind the simple green as well considering we have both here.
Thanks again for your help.
Greg