Furnace premature shutdown

bking

I just started using the furnace in our Golden Gate this past week. One cool morning last week, I ran the furnace for the first time. It started and heated the inside to the temperature set on the thermostat. So I thought I wass ready to use it on our weekend trip.

While camping over the weekend, I started the furnace Friday night. It shut down after about 5 minutes. Well before heating the inside to the desired temp. It did this every time I tried to use it over the weekend. I never was able to get it to stay on long enough to reach the temp set on the remote thermostat. Fortunately, the temperatures were not cold enough to require much heat and an electric space heater kept us 20 degrees warmer than the outside temperatures.

Monday morning I called our dealer and they suggested shutting off the battery and disconnecting from electric power for 15 minutes. They said this lets the onboard systems shut down completely. Then I connected
electric, turned the battery on and tried the furnace again. The furnace ran until reaching the temp set on the remote.

I tried the furnace again first thing this morning - inside temp about 60 degrees. Same problem as before, furnace shut down after about 5 minutes and before reaching thermostat temp setting.

I shut off the battery and disconnected the power. After a 15-20 minute wait, I reconnected power and turned on the battery. The furnace ran for 30+ minutes until the temperature set on the thermostat was reached.

Anyone have similar experience or any idea on what is causing this to occur?

kognito

I'm not saying this is your problem, but on my current rig (not a heartland, but we are shopping for one) I do not have a battery dis-connect. I have to manually connect and dis-connect my battery.

When I don't make a good connection to the battery, my heater acts like you are discribing.

Low battery or bad connection make the unit cycle off too early. Maybe you have a connection issue somewhere.

co4me

Premature furnace shutdown

Hi Bob,

Yes, I have a Golden Gate and have the same problem. My unit has the remote contol thermostat and I also have the same issue with my air conditioner and heat strip in that the units shut down anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees before the desired settings. I contacted Dometic and they said the temperature cutoff should be from 3 to 5 degrees difference between the desired temperature setting and the actual temperature. They suggested I take it to a dealer which I plan to do at the end of my extended trip.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Bill

bking

I used the furnace all weekend long with no problems. I used velcro to stick the remote on the wall to the right of the refrigerator and pantry. The remote is then almost under the ceiling register. I also had the "I Feel" option turned on.

I think I have not been patient enough with it and kept changing the settings to get it to work correctly. This probably was confusing to the system.

When I did make changes on the remote, I made sure I heard the beep signaling the system received the change. If I didn't hear the beep then I repeated the change until I did hear the beep. On one occassion, I thought I might have confused it, so I turned the furnace off using the remote and waited 15-20 minutes before turning the remote back on.

This system does seem to be sensitive to changes.

I didn't have to resort to turning off battery and power this time.

Cheryl

I think the "I Feel" mode helps the air conditoner and heater work better. I usually lay mine on the dining table pointed at the unit. I have found that you can take it into the bedroom, but you have to put it down and move it while pushing the up/down buttons. When you hear the unit beep, you know it is comunicating with the remote and you need to leave the remote in that exact position. Hope I explained that clearly enough.