Tire Pressure towing and not towing on TV

Miltp920

So, the 5er is stored for the winter.

The sticker on my trucks drivers door says cold tire pressure for the front axle is 55 psi. I need to check, but I typically run the same pressure on all 4 tires on a vehicle. They may be also be at 80 psi.

Is this right? I would run my front axle tires at 55 psi both towing and not towing (winter)?

Do I leave my rear axle tires at 80 psi cold tire pressure during the non-towing season? That is the rear axle cold pressure.

I am running Michelins 265 75 R16.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Treyz71

I have always lowered the rear tire pressure to match the front (55-60psi) during non-towing seasons. On my last truck (2008 GMC 2500HD), I sold it with 45k miles with the factory Bridgestone's having at least another year left on them with this method. I also rotated every 5000 miles. The tires will wear more evenly, the truck will ride better and have a better footprint on wet or snowy roads when aired down, in my opinion.

Garypowell

My understanding is the sticker in the door is for what the maker thinks will give you the best ride. But it is not for the max capacity of the truck. On my 2008 I always ran at 80 PSI (max for my tire) when towing. The truck was undersized anyway and I felt I needed all the help it could get....and safer for the tires. If we were going to be in the area for a week I would drop the pressure back down to the comfortable range. A pain, but we do usually put on a lot of miles (seeing customers) when the RV is sitting in a park.

With the new truck (2015 3500 SRW) we have 18" wheels. Doing research Goodyear sent me the "tire pressure vs. Load capacity" chart for the tires. Turns out these tires have a lot higher capacity than the truck (the 2008 was about equal) so I am still thinking through if I want to run them at 80 PSI or choose some lower pressure for a better ride but yet meets the load I carry when hooked up.

I will probably run at 80 PSI for a few pulls and watch with my Valor TPMS system the temp and pressure in the tire. Then lower it a bit and see what the temperature does.

So my answer to your question is that we do drop the pressure usually when not towing. And I usually run all tires at the same pressure.

avvidclif

My Ford show 60 front and 80 rear at max load. The front weight doesn't change much from towing to not towing (less than 200 lbs) so I keep 60 in the front all the time. The rear calls for 80 towing and that's what I run. When not towing I would like to drop down to 50-60 for a better ride but at that pressure the xxxxxxx TPMS goes off unless I reset it. And then have to reset it again for towing. PITA. I usually drop the rears a little but not enough to aggravate xxxxxxx. Grrr.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I only run 80 psi in the rear when towing. When I know that I am not going to tow for awhile I drop it down to 65 psi. I always run 65 psi in the front even though the door sticker says 60psi. I am running BFG Revo 2's and find that they like 65 psi.

pegmikef

I run mine at the same psi towing or not towing, but then except for minor errands and use as the daily driver when we are at RV parks/campgrounds, the truck is used primarily for towing. I have no intention of getting in the business of changing the psi just for a marginally better ride when not towing and then having to change it again before towing.

GregP

I run my tires at 60 front and 80 rear through the tow season. When we are done for the winter and trailer is stowed away, I drop the rears to 45 lb and leave the fronts at 60, as per the door post sticker. The sticker says to run at 75 lbs rear when loaded, but the tires call for 80 on the sidewall, so that is what I go for. When the truck is empty, the ride is noticeably harsher when there is 60 front and 80 rear.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My truck says to run 60 in the front and 80 in the back . . .

I've generally added 10 pounds to the rear tires when towing, but since we got the 5'ver I'm not so sure I need to do that anymore.

When we had the Trail Runner bumper-pull, the tire shop advised me to add the extra to the rear tires and I could feel the difference.

But with the Prowler hitched up, it seems that the extra air isn't needed.

Attachments

• CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZ.jpg
    CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZ.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 22
  • ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 20

caissiel

I pump to the pressure on the door. Rotate the tires yearly. While the rear is pumped to 75psi unloaded they are 80 psi once the trailer is hooked up.
Now with larger and greater capacity tires I have dropped the pressures by 5 psi and the drive quality has stayed the same.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk