Washer/Dryer for Bighorn. Combo or Separates?

EOneal59

Planning on purchasing a washer and dryer for my BH3570RS. Would like to know which is better to get an all in one unit or washer and dryer stackable. Any info would be appreciated

buddyboy

Re: Washer and Dryer

Planning on purchasing a washer and dryer for my BH3570RS. Would like to know which is better to get an all in one unit or washer and dryer stackable. Any info would be appreciated

Truly it's a preference. We prefer the stackable so we can be washing a load while one is drying. We had an all-in-one unit on one of our boats and were not pleased with the length of time it took to complete one load.

JanAndBill

We've had the Splendide all in one unit for almost three years. Works great for what it was designed for, SMALL LOADS!!! If you just use the wash cycle and hang the clothes you can load it to it's max weight capability, but if you plan on using the dyer function, less is a must.

Garypowell

We had separate units in our first rig back in 1996 and at the time hated how long it took. Not really realizing the 110V vs. 220 difference. Next rig we opted out. Our last rig we have put in a Splendide. Maybe we are more patient this many years later but love it. Granted you do laundry in a sequence mode. But heaving things are washed at night and then we set the dryer to run for 2 hours and they are dry in the morning when we get up.

My point is I think you'll find either way slow.....but you can sequence through the process quicker if you have two units. But you lose storage room.

Bohemian

Two separate units take up twice the space and weigh more. Two units allow you to wash and dry at the same time. At home I have observed that washed loads are always waiting for the longer dry cycles to finish. A combo unit allows you to put it in the combo unit, leave, and come back to washed and dryer cloths without doing a transfer.

If you anticipate a large amount of laundry every day maybe the two units are better. If you think one small load per day will do the job, perhaps the combo.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I'm doing research on this as well, and have found reviews saying vented combo units take less time to dry then ventless. This is important to consider because the ventless seem a little cheaper in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Go with the stackable. The weight difference is negligible, more loads can be done, dries better, and you'll have no regrets.

farside291

We have the LG all in one vent less unit. Nice unit, but small loads are a must. Take shirts/pants out when damp and hang otherwise you will get steamed in wrinkles. Towels, under garmets are fine. When the clothes come out they normally will feel slightly damp, a quick shake and they will be dry. Not sure why but that's how it works. Takes on average 2.5 hours per load. If we had it to do over I would buy separate units with a vented dryer.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

We just installed the Whirlpool stackable, vented dryer. Haven't notice any major difference from the units I have in our house verses the LM other than I can't stuff as much clothes in the washer in the camper as I can in the house. Since it's a vented dryer, the drying time is about the same as from the house.

DougS

Doug S

We have the LG all in one vent less unit. Nice unit, but small loads are a must. Take shirts/pants out when damp and hang otherwise you will get steamed in wrinkles. Towels, under garmets are fine. When the clothes come out they normally will feel slightly damp, a quick shake and they will be dry. Not sure why but that's how it works. Takes on average 2.5 hours per load. If we had it to do over I would buy separate units with a vented dryer.

We have a vented Splendide combo unit in our unit now and agree with the above discription. When we take delivery of our next unit we will be going with the stackable units.

rxbristol

Also, I would recommend the Splendide units. We've never had a problem with ours and they get much better reviews than the Whirlpools.

Westwind

We have a Splendide Combo, we have been very happy with it the past 4 years and only had one problem which was our fault, broke the latch on the door. Were we to get a new unit and replace the unit we would probably go with the Splendide separate washer and dryer just to speed up the process of washing clothes. Because of the smaller tub and 110 drying process washing clothes in an RV does take longer. Right now an upgrade is not on the horizon nor far future.

TravelTiger

Our issue is that I want a W/D now, and there's not room for stackable in this rig.

yport

Have had the Splendide combo unit now for 7 years in two different coaches (presently in our BH) and would not want the stackables. Yes, smaller loads ... yes you cannot be washing another load while drying one. Whats the big deal? We're retired with lots of time on our hands ... so we throw a small load in when we go to the beach ... or shopping ... or whatever.
With the combo unit we do not lose the hanging space above in what is also our coat closet by the door in our BH3685.

You will probably like whichever one you decide on ... definitely a personal choice ... but for us it's the combo unit .

caissiel

Have had the Splendide combo unit now for 7 years in two different coaches (presently in our BH) and would not want the stackables. Yes, smaller loads ... yes you cannot be washing another load while drying one. Whats the big deal? We're retired with lots of time on our hands ... so we throw a small load in when we go to the beach ... or shopping ... or whatever.
With the combo unit we do not lose the hanging space above in what is also our coat closet by the door in our BH3685.

You will probably like whichever one you decide on ... definitely a personal choice ... but for us it's the combo unit .
Same for us. The washing and drying is done all in one and can happen while we are gone or relaxing outside. When its done just remove and reload for next wash. Our washing is always caught up. Our combo is 10 years old and been used 12 months per year. Will never have any other type then the 1200 RPM spin cycle Splendid combo.
Besides the stacked dryer is rated for less power then the combo unit. Might have something to do with having both units capable to running together. My DW gets her washing done while we relax sure beats having to load 2 units for one wash.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

farside291

The vent less really isn't that bad, you just have to learn how to use it. I know that seems silly but its true. I have had a pair of LG front loaders in the house for years. I bought the LG vent less all in one unit for the Big Country because all the controls are the same with the exception of the controls on the right side for the drying operation. After experimenting with the unit. I now wash on normal cycle, 25-35 minute cycle. Then I do a dry cycle separate from the wash cycle for 1 hour. Check clothes and take out any that would wrinkle and hang to finish drying. Then close the door and finish the dry cycle. If I wash under garmets, towels or even a king size sheet and fitted sheet. I set it to normal wash and dry cycle and walk away. 2.5 hours later done. With the one I have you must use liquid HE softener. No dryer sheets. I have to admit, it was very easy to install, I just had to take the door frame off the bedroom to get it through the door. Also, this unit is very heavy, about 160 lbs definitely takes two people to install.

porthole

Retired
Combo works for us, just have to learn to use it efficiently.
I really don't think the 110 vs 240 is all that it is made out to be.

My thoughts are the limitation is really the size of the drum, not voltage. The clothes in our unit will get hot enough to almost not be able to rest on sensitive skin, like your forearm.

110 - will work on a genny or park 30 amp service
240 - 50 amp service only

We have friends with a new Newmar class A and had it wired for 240 for the dryer. But, they are alright with only using the dryer when on 50 service.
And I would say the odds are good if you are running a Newmar A you spend more time on a 50 then anything else.

Door latch breakage.
I think slamming the door is what breaks the plastic latch.
Ours broke at the 2013 Goshen rally.
Took the door apart and did a temp wire tie repair, still going strong and we no longer slam the door.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Well, thanks for all the info here.... we took the plunge and purchased a Pinnacle Combo unit from PPL. This unit is unique in that it can be run as ventless or vented. We are not sure our 5ver was designed for a vented unit -- the w/d hookups are run within a chase inside the closet against the outside wall, and there's not an easy way to run a vent outside.

The Pinnacle lets us have a w/d that will work as a non- vented for now, and a vented unit if we upgrade rigs in the future.

Now comes the fun part! Paring down the hanging clothes and finding new homes for many things in the closet so we can get it in there and hooked up. It may take us some time, but I'll try to post pics as we install.

BTW, the Splendide brand looks really nice. Unfortunately you have to choose, vented or ventless, they are separate units.

caissiel

I removed the top shelf and raised the hanger bar of our closet and all our coats fit on top of the washing machine. Our W/D is in the hallway to our bedroom and doubles as a coat room.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk