Need ideas for horizontal basement door problem

I purchased new BC 3250ts couple months ago and everything is great. I just have one problem that I need some help with. The basement door where the docking station is has a horizontal door. When I have to go inside the door is blown by the wind as there is no way to keep it stationary. What do any of you do to stop this? I'm afraid that one day the wind will catch it really hard and break the hinges.
Thanks,

Delaine and Lindy

Ricky I agree, and think there could have been a better design. I'm also looking for a change to make it work better. Our other 5th wheel had a better design. GBY.......

TXBobcat

Fulltime
There should be a door clip above the propane bottle door if it is like my 3400. This clip works for both the door to the propane bottles and the basement area where the docking station is located.. I like the door clips on my Bighorn. The ones that were on my previous 5er were plastic and broke often.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Maybe consider using a door latch like what they currently use on the front door. It would really hold that door from the wind blowing it shut.

Mark

Delaine and Lindy

Mark I have the Landmark Augusta also and I will look into put some type latch on the door to the docking station. Just a reminder be careful of the fridg door make sure you keep it locked. The stainless steel (?) door is very light weight and can be dented very easy. Good Luck.
GBY......

I actually picked up a door clip this weekend to hold door but the problem is that the propane door is directly behind and then front of camper so no place to attach clip. Is there another kind of clip that can be above door that can hold it? There is a space above door and below slide where I can install something.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
how about a magnet like on some inside cabinet doors, flat piece of metal to outside of door and a magnet attached to outside of camper wall TRAVELER07

azbound

I have the same issue with that door on my 3400. Jim's idea is the best on I have heard yet. Can't believe I never thought of it. Good thinking Jim, just another example of the power of the forum.

ChopperBill

They make gas springs in many different sizes. Most good automotive stores carry them.
fc_1.JPG

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
My storage door on the DS and the front genset door each use a clip...they work great. My ODS storage (where the UDS is located) has 2 of the gas springs like Bill showed...they work great, too. Only ??? - when the bedroom slide is extended, the door will only open up to the bottom of the slide, the overlap by a couple of inches. When the slide is retracted, the springs hold the door wide open! I LOVE MY CYCLONE! :) :D

Motair

The wife and I picked up our 2008 Bighorn 3370 on the 10th of April. On the 11th of April, I was starting to scout out the basement storage to see what kind of hangars I was going to need to install. A guest of wind caught the basement door on the driver’s side, and put a minor dent in the door. This was caused by the Propane door finger latch, and no stops. So I started doing a walk around on the bighorn, and noticed two different style hinges. The wider older style hinges which are located on the vertical doors, and the piano hinges, (without a chain, or stops) on the horizontal doors.
The wife added this problem to our list of items that needed warranty work, along with several pictures, and sent them off to our RV dealer. The response we got back from the service manager was. Heartland has changed over to piano hinges, and is no longer using the old style hinge, and that no modification has been suggested yet. Stay Tuned for more updates.

andy

horizontal door swinging too wide

I bought a oval bungee cord that you put around garbage cans and attached it so that it got tight about 3/4 of door swing but may try Jim's idea sounds good

navyAZ1

I don't know about the BC but our 3055RL BH has a door clip at the front that allows you to use it for both the gas bottle door or the basement door I've never had a problem with this. The basement door does lay tight against the finger pull of the gas bottle door but it has never dented the basement door nor put a mark on it.