Year old diesel winter treatment still good?

Miltp920

I have some year old diesel winter treatment from last year. Is it still good to use it up this year?

GOTTOYS

Probably still good as it is oil based...but you really don't need to use it as the diesel fuel is blended #2 and #1 for use in our cold climates. As our weather gets colder the refineries put in a higher percentage of #1 then it tapers off in the Spring. There is a specific formula used in MN that shows the percentages for each month but I no longer have it. That's why it's not uncommon to see semis on the side of the road during severe cold as they quite likely purchased fuel farther south where they don't blend as much #1. I haven't used any additives for the five years that I've had a diesel and never had a problem with fuel in the Winter...then I go away in January to where it's warm and don't have to worry about it...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Probably still good as it is oil based...but you really don't need to use it as the diesel fuel is blended #2 and #1 for use in our cold climates. As our weather gets colder the refineries put in a higher percentage of #1 then it tapers off in the Spring. There is a specific formula used in MN that shows the percentages for each month but I no longer have it. That's why it's not uncommon to see semis on the side of the road during severe cold as they quite likely purchased fuel farther south where they don't blend as much #1. I haven't used any additives for the five years that I've had a diesel and never had a problem with fuel in the Winter...then I go away in January to where it's warm and don't have to worry about it...Don

Glad I have the gas engine . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Maybe, but if you ever pulled your trailer with a newer diesel, you would never go back to gas...Just sayin...Don

Probably so . . .

Next time I need a new truck I'll probably go diesel as by then we'll probably have a bigger 5'ver!

Until then . . .

Bones

when I looked for a TV Gas was never even a thought for me. I would pay the extra money for a diesel. I better use my diesel in my extra fuel can then soon as the weather is getting colder.

Miltp920

Thanks

EPaulikonis

I worked as a fuel laboratory technician in the military for 12 years. I was working as a lab tech when Low-Sulfur-Diesel (LSD) first appeared on the highways in the early 90's. I was called out many times that first winter to pull fuel samples from tractors that had stopped running on WY, CO, NE, and other western highways. Initial issues were fuel pumps burning up due to the lower sulfur content. The sulfur lubricated moving parts, so removal of sulfur caused fuel pump failures. The second piece of the puzzle was that managing wax dropout and chemical suspension in the LSD was more difficult. Wax would form in various places, most commonly the filters, and choke out fuel supply to the motor. The industry leaders were ill prepared when the first winter using LSD commenced. The issue was exacerbated even further when Ultra-LSD (ULSD) was mandated in 2006.

So it's been several years since ULSD has hit our highways, and the industry has done a much better job addressing the early failures. But the ASTM standard is very broad, so as any business goes, you only spend money on things that have the potential to increase profit, and fuel additives to go above and beyond the ASTM standard doesn't drive industry to absorb the added cost.

An in-depth rebuttal by Gary Pipenger, President, Amalgamated Inc (a custom blender of diesel fuel additives in Ft. Wayne, IN), based on a sampling of 35+ years of field and lab testing of fuel products, was submitted to refute an article titled "The Truth About Fuel Additives" that ran in Fleet Owner Magazine Aug 2012. The most important take away from Gary's information is in Point #5 where Gary says "These lab reports verify that nearly all delivered fuels sampled need some level of added winterization and/or upgrade chemical protection to insure adequate operability for the fuel use applications."

I always consider the quality of fuel from any individual source as suspect and take the extra measures financially reasonable to protect my investment. I change my fuel filters regularly and use an additive. A 64oz bottle of Howes ($17.99) will treat 160 gallons of fuel when temps are >0F (2oz to 5 gallons). I think that's reasonable to protect my $55K+ TV, so I don't mind paying the cost to be on the safer side of this debate.

Bones

I worked as a fuel laboratory technician in the military for 12 years. I was working as a lab tech when Low-Sulfur-Diesel (LSD) first appeared on the highways in the early 90's. I was called out many times that first winter to pull fuel samples from tractors that had stopped running on WY, CO, NE, and other western highways. Initial issues were fuel pumps burning up due to the lower sulfur content. The sulfur lubricated moving parts, so removal of sulfur caused fuel pump failures. The second piece of the puzzle was that managing wax dropout and chemical suspension in the LSD was more difficult. Wax would form in various places, most commonly the filters, and choke out fuel supply to the motor. The industry leaders were ill prepared when the first winter using LSD commenced. The issue was exacerbated even further when Ultra-LSD (ULSD) was mandated in 2006.

So it's been several years since ULSD has hit our highways, and the industry has done a much better job addressing the early failures. But the ASTM standard is very broad, so as any business goes, you only spend money on things that have the potential to increase profit, and fuel additives to go above and beyond the ASTM standard doesn't drive industry to absorb the added cost.

An in-depth rebuttal by Gary Pipenger, President, Amalgamated Inc (a custom blender of diesel fuel additives in Ft. Wayne, IN), based on a sampling of 35+ years of field and lab testing of fuel products, was submitted to refute an article titled "The Truth About Fuel Additives" that ran in Fleet Owner Magazine Aug 2012. The most important take away from Gary's information is in Point #5 where Gary says "These lab reports verify that nearly all delivered fuels sampled need some level of added winterization and/or upgrade chemical protection to insure adequate operability for the fuel use applications."

I always consider the quality of fuel from any individual source as suspect and take the extra measures financially reasonable to protect my investment. I change my fuel filters regularly and use an additive. A 64oz bottle of Howes ($17.99) will treat 160 gallons of fuel when temps are >0F (2oz to 5 gallons). I think that's reasonable to protect my $55K+ TV, so I don't mind paying the cost to be on the safer side of this debate.
So should we take this as that the additives like cetane booster and your Howes additives are good for our diesel engines?

EPaulikonis

I believe so, yes. Using an additive like Howes is an insurance measure, especially during winter months. I even use it over the summer because of the additional lubrication for fuel system components and the cleanliness of the burn. I do wish I had an EGT on the truck to see what the temp difference would be between stock diesel from the pump and diesel with additive included. I'd venture a guess the additive would drive up the temp slightly.

So should we take this as that the additives like cetane booster and your Howes additives are good for our diesel engines?

mcolson84

I run fuel additive mainly for the added lubricity. I have seen many injector failures due to the lack of fuel system lubricity in the ULSD. Any other possitive effects (anti-gelling) are just an added bonus. I am also a firm believer in frequent filter changes. I run Opti-Lube XPD in mine, and I have never had a problem. Wear scar ratings for the average diesel fuel in the US is 640 if I remember correctly, and most of the new diesel trucks are designed with fuel system components that are recommended to a max of a 450 wear scar rating. Much of this poor lubricity of fuel is to blame for common dislikes and failures on many of your newer diesels such as injector and HPFP failures. You also could possibly see a very slight increase in fuel economy (.10-.5 MPG is nothing to shake a stick at). It is a small price to pay to protect your investment.