Hot lead vs RV Walls

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There has been a couple of posts on this forum about self defense while traveling.
There has also been some concern about what happens to a bullet if the need for defense should arise.
I had an opportunity to do a little testing last week and thought I would share my findings.
This test is not comprehensive only basic but should be somewhat informative.
Oh, there are two errors in the video, can anyone pick them out?
Well two that I know of.

Peace
Dave

olcoon

Only thing I possibly noticed is that you didn't say what distance you were shooting at. I really wasn't looking for errors though, just curious what the outcome would be, and wasn't really surprised!

I won't go into specifics, to protect the "guilty", (NO IT WASN'T ME!), but several years ago someone was teaching how to use a .45 ACP, and forgot a very important fact...there was a round in the tube. Anyway, they pulled the trigger, the round went through a sheet rock wall separating the room from a hallway, across the hall, and into the drawer of a file cabinet. The drawer was filled with paper files in manila folders, and stopped ½ through the drawer. Don't remember what type of ammo was being used, probably FMJ, or possibly HP. Sure scared a bunch of people, especially the guy sitting about 4' from where the round went through the wall. Someone had a LOT of explaining to do that day!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Roy, the distance was about 20 feet.
I had the panels spaced 16" apart, I don't think there would have been a major loss in velocity if I had them spaced 16'.

Peace
Dave

Bones

I'm not trying to be a smart *** but I want to simply ask what was the point? Was it to show that if you fire at something you better make sure you can hit what your aiming at because all of the bullets are going to go through most of our campers with ease and you can hit an unintentional target?

Diamondjim

This information should remind all of us with firearms in our homes, the projectiles leaving the muzzle keeps on going! I am a little surprised with the .22 not making it through the final panel.
Yes to the .380 HP question above, for sure.
I was a little nervous with your background berm being so full of exposed rocks, but that was just me.
Still appreciate your time and efforts in illustrating that not only to we need to concerned with the initial target, but where the lead goes as it continues on.

pegmikef

That is exactly why I have the Judge with shotgun shells as one of my primary home/RV defensive weapons.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What happen to the 2 380 hollow point ? I only see 2 holes in the 4th board in the end of your video
Good eye, that's one of the mistakes.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** but I want to simply ask what was the point? Was it to show that if you fire at something you better make sure you can hit what your aiming at because all of the bullets are going to go through most of our campers with ease and you can hit an unintentional target?
Exactly the point. I have read some scary things and wanted to make that point.

This information should remind all of us with firearms in our homes, the projectiles leaving the muzzle keeps on going! I am a little surprised with the .22 not making it through the final panel.
I was a little nervous with your background berm being so full of exposed rocks, but that was just me.
I really wasn't concerned about the rocks but I knew someone would call me on it.:)

That is exactly why I have the Judge with shotgun shells as one of my primary home/RV defensive weapons.
Now I gotta find someone with a Judge. Are you using just bird shot or a self defense load?
The .410 self defense loads run about 750 fps and these .380's are just over 900 fps I would expect the #BB and projectiles to at least make it to the third wall. Just a guess.

Peace
Dave

Bones

Thanks for the info. What would happen with a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun to the wall?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for the info. What would happen with a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun to the wall?

What size shot shell...2 3/4 or something larger? What size shot...#7 small game, Buck shot, or a pumpkin ball?
Regardless one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end in close quarters such as in or just outside a 2" camper wall
Ever see what a shotgun does to a gallon water jug ...!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra2084

Ok being a woman who has a lot of respect for weapons and those who use them, the only conclusion that I came to was, bullets of any kind will go through RV walls and if ANYONE (Child, Neighbors, First Responders, Good Samaritans, Spouce ) is within shooting distance standing behind the wall your aiming at, they could also become a victim with possible deadly consequences of your selfless actions.

I'm married to an LEO and hear about those things happening to innocent people just sitting in their homes watching TV or sleeping in bed being shot and killed by stray bullets ment for someone else. Can you guarantee that it couldn't be the same results for your actions if you decide to use deadly force?
I understand the first ammendment right to bare arm's, and there is a time and a place to use it BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth

Lynn1130

A big concern with search warrants (or felony take-downs) in trailer parks was where the projectiles would end up should things turn south. We found that while being a 3000+ fps round, .223 generally broke into small pieces that did not go far after impact. They were better than 9 mm or even shotgun rounds of various sizes that would continue through walls, drawers, etc. That is of course assuming you are not using full metal jacket which is a real no-no.

.22 is one of the more deadly rounds for self defense because it goes inside and then bounces around off of bone and organs causing major damage while a 9 mm will pass through and if it does not hit something vital the problem does not go away quickly.

Last edited:

MTPockets

Ok being a woman who has a lot of respect for weapons and those who use them, the only conclusion that I came to was, bullets of any kind will go through RV walls and if ANYONE (Child, Neighbors, First Responders, Good Samaritans, Spouce ) is within shooting distance standing behind the wall your aiming at, they could also become a victim with possible deadly consequences of your selfless actions.

I'm married to an LEO and hear about those things happening to innocent people just sitting in their homes watching TV or sleeping in bed being shot and killed by stray bullets ment for someone else. Can you guarantee that it couldn't be the same results for your actions if you decide to use deadly force?
I understand the first ammendment right to bare arm's, and there is a time and a place to use it BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth
This is why I mentioned earlie that I have safety shells. These particular shells have bullets that shatter upon impact and won't go thru a solid surface. It will penetrate soft tissue and damage a human target, but shatters upon impact with a solid surface such as bones or walls. From an Internet search I see there are a variety of safety shells, or safety bullets. These I have were marketed as safe, as to not being able to pass thru a wall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth
That's exactly the reason I made this video.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Now I gotta find someone with a Judge. Are you using just bird shot or a self defense load?
The .410 self defense loads run about 750 fps and these .380's are just over 900 fps I would expect the #BB and projectiles to at least make it to the third wall. Just a guess.

Peace
Dave

Well if we ever get together Dave, I have S&W version. Better choice when I was looking. 6 rounds vs 5 and ACP use as well.

Lynn1130

Frangible ammo.

It is used at many in-door ranges (police) for a number of reasons. One specific reason is the lack of lead and the other is to avoid bullets and/or bullet particles from flying around striking people.