PDA

View Full Version : Hot lead vs RV Walls

cookie
10-29-2015, 09:13 PM
There has been a couple of posts on this forum about self defense while traveling.
There has also been some concern about what happens to a bullet if the need for defense should arise.
I had an opportunity to do a little testing last week and thought I would share my findings.
This test is not comprehensive only basic but should be somewhat informative.
Oh, there are two errors in the video, can anyone pick them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FnXZsbZkw
Well two that I know of.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets
10-29-2015, 09:29 PM
I keep safety bullets in my .357 S&W - they won't go thru a wall as they shatter on impact.

olcoon
10-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Only thing I possibly noticed is that you didn't say what distance you were shooting at. I really wasn't looking for errors though, just curious what the outcome would be, and wasn't really surprised!

I won't go into specifics, to protect the "guilty", (NO IT WASN'T ME!), but several years ago someone was teaching how to use a .45 ACP, and forgot a very important fact...there was a round in the tube. Anyway, they pulled the trigger, the round went through a sheet rock wall separating the room from a hallway, across the hall, and into the drawer of a file cabinet. The drawer was filled with paper files in manila folders, and stopped through the drawer. Don't remember what type of ammo was being used, probably FMJ, or possibly HP. Sure scared a bunch of people, especially the guy sitting about 4' from where the round went through the wall. Someone had a LOT of explaining to do that day!!!

cookie
10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Roy, the distance was about 20 feet.
I had the panels spaced 16" apart, I don't think there would have been a major loss in velocity if I had them spaced 16'.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
10-29-2015, 11:36 PM
What happen to the 2 380 hollow point ? I only see 2 holes in the 4th board in the end of your video

jimtoo
10-29-2015, 11:51 PM
Yep, what happened to the .380 HP's and your head in the first part?

Bones
10-30-2015, 05:43 AM
I'm not trying to be a smart *** but I want to simply ask what was the point? Was it to show that if you fire at something you better make sure you can hit what your aiming at because all of the bullets are going to go through most of our campers with ease and you can hit an unintentional target?

Diamondjim
10-30-2015, 06:23 AM
This information should remind all of us with firearms in our homes, the projectiles leaving the muzzle keeps on going! I am a little surprised with the .22 not making it through the final panel.
Yes to the .380 HP question above, for sure.
I was a little nervous with your background berm being so full of exposed rocks, but that was just me.
Still appreciate your time and efforts in illustrating that not only to we need to concerned with the initial target, but where the lead goes as it continues on.

pegmikef
10-30-2015, 06:53 AM
That is exactly why I have the Judge with shotgun shells as one of my primary home/RV defensive weapons.

cookie
10-30-2015, 07:56 AM
What happen to the 2 380 hollow point ? I only see 2 holes in the 4th board in the end of your video
Good eye, that's one of the mistakes.

I'm not trying to be a smart *** but I want to simply ask what was the point? Was it to show that if you fire at something you better make sure you can hit what your aiming at because all of the bullets are going to go through most of our campers with ease and you can hit an unintentional target?
Exactly the point. I have read some scary things and wanted to make that point.

This information should remind all of us with firearms in our homes, the projectiles leaving the muzzle keeps on going! I am a little surprised with the .22 not making it through the final panel.
I was a little nervous with your background berm being so full of exposed rocks, but that was just me.

I really wasn't concerned about the rocks but I knew someone would call me on it.:)

That is exactly why I have the Judge with shotgun shells as one of my primary home/RV defensive weapons.
Now I gotta find someone with a Judge. Are you using just bird shot or a self defense load?
The .410 self defense loads run about 750 fps and these .380's are just over 900 fps I would expect the #BB and projectiles to at least make it to the third wall. Just a guess.

Peace
Dave

Bones
10-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info. What would happen with a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun to the wall?

travelin2
10-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the info. What would happen with a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun to the wall?

What size shot shell...2 3/4 or something larger? What size shot...#7 small game, Buck shot, or a pumpkin ball?
Regardless one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end in close quarters such as in or just outside a 2" camper wall[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
Ever see what a shotgun does to a gallon water jug ...[emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
10-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I still want to know what happened to the 380 HP ????

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

cookie
10-30-2015, 08:46 AM
I still want to know what happened to the 380 HP ????

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk
I guess they are embedded in the third panel. When I get back up north in a few weeks I'll dig them out.

Peace
Dave

Tundra2084
10-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Ok being a woman who has a lot of respect for weapons and those who use them, the only conclusion that I came to was, bullets of any kind will go through RV walls and if ANYONE (Child, Neighbors, First Responders, Good Samaritans, Spouce ) is within shooting distance standing behind the wall your aiming at, they could also become a victim with possible deadly consequences of your selfless actions.

I'm married to an LEO and hear about those things happening to innocent people just sitting in their homes watching TV or sleeping in bed being shot and killed by stray bullets ment for someone else. Can you guarantee that it couldn't be the same results for your actions if you decide to use deadly force?
I understand the first ammendment right to bare arm's, and there is a time and a place to use it BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth

Lynn1130
10-30-2015, 09:41 AM
A big concern with search warrants (or felony take-downs) in trailer parks was where the projectiles would end up should things turn south. We found that while being a 3000+ fps round, .223 generally broke into small pieces that did not go far after impact. They were better than 9 mm or even shotgun rounds of various sizes that would continue through walls, drawers, etc. That is of course assuming you are not using full metal jacket which is a real no-no.

.22 is one of the more deadly rounds for self defense because it goes inside and then bounces around off of bone and organs causing major damage while a 9 mm will pass through and if it does not hit something vital the problem does not go away quickly.

MTPockets
10-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Ok being a woman who has a lot of respect for weapons and those who use them, the only conclusion that I came to was, bullets of any kind will go through RV walls and if ANYONE (Child, Neighbors, First Responders, Good Samaritans, Spouce ) is within shooting distance standing behind the wall your aiming at, they could also become a victim with possible deadly consequences of your selfless actions.

I'm married to an LEO and hear about those things happening to innocent people just sitting in their homes watching TV or sleeping in bed being shot and killed by stray bullets ment for someone else. Can you guarantee that it couldn't be the same results for your actions if you decide to use deadly force?
I understand the first ammendment right to bare arm's, and there is a time and a place to use it BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth
This is why I mentioned earlie that I have safety shells. These particular shells have bullets that shatter upon impact and won't go thru a solid surface. It will penetrate soft tissue and damage a human target, but shatters upon impact with a solid surface such as bones or walls. From an Internet search I see there are a variety of safety shells, or safety bullets. These I have were marketed as safe, as to not being able to pass thru a wall.

cookie
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
BUT I am of the opinion that thin RV walls are NOT a place that should be aimed at because of the high probability of innocent people within shooting distance behind them being struck and possibly killed.
JMHO for what it's worth
That's exactly the reason I made this video.

Peace
Dave

porthole
10-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Now I gotta find someone with a Judge. Are you using just bird shot or a self defense load?
The .410 self defense loads run about 750 fps and these .380's are just over 900 fps I would expect the #BB and projectiles to at least make it to the third wall. Just a guess.

Peace
Dave

Well if we ever get together Dave, I have S&W version. Better choice when I was looking. 6 rounds vs 5 and ACP use as well.

Lynn1130
10-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Frangible ammo.

It is used at many in-door ranges (police) for a number of reasons. One specific reason is the lack of lead and the other is to avoid bullets and/or bullet particles from flying around striking people.

Bones
10-30-2015, 11:16 AM
What size shot shell...2 3/4 or something larger? What size shot...#7 small game, Buck shot, or a pumpkin ball?
Regardless one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end in close quarters such as in or just outside a 2" camper wall[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
Ever see what a shotgun does to a gallon water jug ...[emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]!!!

No I havent. I have 2 and 3/4 inch shells for target practice

travelin2
10-30-2015, 12:13 PM
No I havent. I have 2 and 3/4 inch shells for target practice

Fill a jug sometime....
Remember the the commercial " this your xxxx on drugs"??? Splat ...

Bones
10-30-2015, 12:16 PM
I wish I lived in an area I could actually do that in. I would end up in handcuffs behind bars somewhere for a long time.

travelin2
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM
You'll have to come to my neck of the woods, we can do that here!!!! [emoji95][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

porthole
10-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Dave, did you run a rod through all the holes to see if they stayed in line?
curious to see how much deflection from one panel to the next.

jackyF123q
01-07-2016, 09:27 PM
I don't see some differences. I wish I could see it personal though.

Gtoli
01-07-2016, 10:16 PM
I have a box of these to evaluate for my agency, would really like to test a couple against rv walls.

��42287

cookie
01-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Duane, sorry I didn't reply sooner.
All but one caliber went straight with the exception being the .380. It did deflect a bit, not much, maybe about 3".
The panels are up north so I can't say for sure if that is accurate but I will measure this coming week when I get back there.

Peace
Dave

Toy1Ton
01-08-2016, 01:14 PM
will bullet proof wall be an option for Heartland in the future? LOL

JohnD
01-08-2016, 01:28 PM
will bullet proof wall be an option for Heartland in the future? LOL

Probably . . . for a small fee, of course!

Bones
01-08-2016, 01:55 PM
Kevlar lined walls

Crossbow
07-21-2016, 03:03 PM
RV walls don't have any real stopping power to any bullets unless you hit a stud and and even then it will only remotely slow it down etc. My suggestion is get out of that RV if you are getting shot at! You might could line your under bed with ballistic plate and go hide there but that is the best you could do inside the RV.
Best to get out and get behind some sand bags. They will even stop a 50bmg.

Jim.Allison
07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Interesting thread. Yesterday I found what I believe to be a bullet strike on the side of my rig. what ever it was, it was heavy enough to make a dent where the metal skirt meets the floor deck, but slow enough that it did not penetrate, but rather leave a perfectly concave divet. I have no idea where this might have happened, while parked maybe, or while rolling. If it was a bullet, it was a large caliber pistol bullet. And if it happened on the road, it happened 2 weeks ago on a trip to El Paso. I do not discount the fact that it could be an errant ricochet from a pistol round fired at a skunk or other pest where I park my rig, as that side faces a farm house.

JohnD
07-22-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't own a gun . . . so have no known issues.

I have considered getting one to protect us from bears or other wildlife that we might find in the wild of the Rocky Mountains!

Although I have heard that bullets won't stop Godzilla . . . :cool: