First time owner...how did i do?

First time owner and new member. Just picked up my 2015 Trail Runner 29SLE yesterday. We looked for a month or better and the Trail Runner was the only camper that met our needs and fit in the budget. So how did we do? I researched alot and found that Heartland was among the top for build quality but i know the trail runner series is the entry level. Anything i should know as a new owner or is it more of a trial by fire kind of deal. All tips are appreciated and glad to be a member here.

Lynn1130

Welcome! You have just opened a new chapter in your life and one that will be a great deal of fun.

There are volumes of information here both from members/owners and from the Tools section (above) and by using the search feature to look for the answer to specific questions. Specifically, what is it that you are seeking? Camping tips, trailer stocking tips, maintenance tips???

I know that the first trailer is overwhelming at times so we will all do what we can to help.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We owned a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK (now known as the 24RK) for 2 1/2 years.

We loved it, but have moved up to a 5th-wheel.

Enjoy your new Trail Runner . . .

Take it out and use it as much as you can before the weather goes bad so that you can identify any warranty issues so you can get them fixed in the off-season!

I just dropped our new Prowler off at the dealership yesterday to get the warranty items fixed.

Here are some shots of our old Trail Runner at our final campout with it (matter of fact, traded it in that very day):

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095204779.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg

Tundra2084

If your unit has Towmax tires replace ASAP for safeties sake. If you do a search for Towmax you can read many negative comments and how they impacted their units.
Make sure that you check all caulking all over your unit from top to bottom at least twice a year and more often if you can, more importantly if you see any missing or cracked caulking, remove and replace it to ensures no water will get between the walls of your unit. Water and rv walls are not a good thing if combined it causes delamination.
Then go out and enjoy your new purchase :rolleyes:

Gaffer

Come to a rally. Meet really nice and well seasoned folks and ask all your questions.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do not go out and buy everything you think is neat for RV'ing.

Slowly buy undies, socks. lite and heavy jacket, shoes, boots, shirts, lite weight pots and pans, plastic coffee cups and dishes. Stock up on paper plates and holders. Plastic drinking cups, spoons, forks, and knifes, and Wal-Mart silverware. Put all these things in the trailer and leave them there. Loading and un-loading all your stuff every time is a PITA. In other words, be already to go camping except for food. Get good drain hoses, at least 2 and a clear plastic fitting for the sewer dump. Always have a seperate hose for the black tank flusher. Buy more than one fresh water hose....2 will normally be enough. Get a good water pressure regulator with a gauge. You need to see when all the holding tank water is running clean. Always run lots of water when using the toilet. Normally it will take at least 3-4 flushings of the "black water" tank to get it clean.. Buy a few totes to keep your fresh water hoses in and if needed one for the "stinky slinky" and fittings. Buy a Volterra gate valve and install it on the sewer dump end. Don't ask why...just do it. This will be a good start to go camping.

Write this down and do not forget:

Never...ever...turn on the black tank flush and walk away. Please don't ask.

You and DW set a plan for setting up and packing up. DO NOT get distracted while doing either. Sometimes bad things happen if you do. Like power cord left at CG...$150. Pressure regulator left on water pipe (don't ask)...$100. Left without the dog or kids (that could be a good thing). Dog still hooked on truck bumper. You get the picture. You think I'm kidding. Go sit at a CG and watch people leaving and see what is dragging behind their trailer and trucks.

Buy some "pony tail" rubber ties. Use them to hold opposing cupboard doors closed. Load all heavy stuff in the bottom drawers. Remove the glass plate from the microwave and store it somewhere safe. That plate costs more that a new microwave. We had this happen...broke the plate and glass on the door on our 1/2 time/microwave. Got real expensive.

The reason I am stating these things is.....you bought what is known as a "rolling earthquake". So load it properly and you should not have any problems. We have all been there..done that.

SO, you thought you bought a camper....you just bought a small home that needs STUFF. LOL

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

Grey Ghost

**** good advice.....never, never, but never open the black water release value and walk away from it. Don't bother asking, just don't do it EVER! :mad::mad::mad:
Enjoy your rig, take care of it like you do your house and all will be fine. Better yet, take better care of your rig, because you will be far away from friends, family and repair people you know and trust when you need to have something repaired.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry, what I meant was never turn on the black tank spritzer with the gate valve closed.

JohnD

Larry, what I meant was never turn on the black tank spritzer with the gate valve closed.

I like to let my black tank fill up about halfway, then pull the drain open while it is spritzing.

Seems to get more of the 'stuff' out of the tank.

farside291

One time we were really, really full from 5 days, 5 people dry camping and the campground dump station was full of people. I mean cars and trailers everywhere. Decided to go down the road aways and dump later. Found a dump station at gas station that had some yellow tape across the cap to the dump hole. Not sure what the tape meant, no problem (Do know now), pressed the little foot thingy to open the valve dropped the hose in the hole and had the DW step on the hose to keep it from coming out...did I say we were really, really full. Any way went to the trailer and pulled the black valve, within seconds heard the DW screaming close it, close it. I turned around in time to see the hose had popped out of the hole and blue stuff was going everywhere...including all over my DW white tennis shoes. She's jumping around like her feet were on fire. Moral of the story, sometimes its better to just wait in line.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find any and all questions/tips right here in the Heartland Owners Forum.

Best of luck to you, hope to see you at a rally.

JohnD

One time we were really, really full from 5 days, 5 people dry camping and the campground dump station was full of people. I mean cars and trailers everywhere. Decided to go down the road aways and dump later. Found a dump station at gas station that had some yellow tape across the cap to the dump hole. Not sure what the tape meant, no problem (Do know now), pressed the little foot thingy to open the valve dropped the hose in the hole and had the DW step on the hose to keep it from coming out...did I say we were really, really full. Any way went to the trailer and pulled the black valve, within seconds heard the DW screaming close it, close it. I turned around in time to see the hose had popped out of the hole and blue stuff was going everywhere...including all over my DW white tennis shoes. She's jumping around like her feet were on fire. Moral of the story, sometimes its better to just wait in line.

One thing I've found is that all Cabella's stores have a dump station . . .

The sign says "free for Cabella's customers' . . . so go in and buy something . . . anything!

While Cabella's and the 'Bass, Pro Shop' is not geared for RV'ers . . . there are many items that us RV'ers use . . . so they are relevant for our purchases!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
To the OP, when it comes to almost anything to do with RV travel, there are many good smartphone apps.
Including several free apps for locating RV dump stations.
Allstays is a paid app that will has many things included, like a dump station locator.

Peace
Dave