Another New BH 3055 Owner

Zeplik

Picked up our 2009 BH 3055RL 2 weeks ago and had our first shake down outing last weekend. Boy do we love this rig! Our first 5er after 7 years of owning a TT. I love how smooth the towing is!!

So our first outing was a great shake down as it was cold and rainy all weekend. No rain leaks, the camper stayed warm, and the bed was very comfortable! And it was a bonus to discover that the TV picked up digital broadcasts over the antenna!!! That was one thing I didn't think to ask the dealer. Boy am I pleased!

There were three issues we encountered though:

1. Having driven a TT for many years I'm struggling with backing up the 5er. Clearly operator error!!!

2. Our driveway has somewhat of an abrupt change in angle where it meets the road. As such the coach bottomed out on the spare tire, and I bent the tire hoist/winch assembly. I was concenred about how low this was to begin with, so I've opted to remove the assembly completely and stow the spare in the front storage compartment (although I'm thinking the side storage may be better as I won't have to disconnect the truck if I do get a flat).

3. While using the black tank flush (I love that feature!) discovered that the vacuum breaker valve was not closing and sent water into the coach drenching the kitchen floor and steps. In figuring this out I discovered that this device is located between the power closet wall and the bathroom wall. A water leak here sprays the power panel and converter which seems dangerous to me. Anyway once I located it I sort of understand why its positioned up high above the tank so just ended up cleaning the valve and testing multiple times. Everything seems to work OK right now, however I did cut a small access panel inside the power closet so I can get to this easier in the future. By the looks of it it seems that dirt and age will cause this to occur again. I'll be looking at alternative vacuum breakers as possible replacements.

Even with that, we love this camper !! :D

We're really excited about finding this forum. Looking forward to getting to know other Heartland owners!

BTW, how do you import an avatar picture? Thnx!

GaryB

Congratulations on your 3055RL! I am picking up my 3055RL next Wednesday. It'll be my first ever RV, and so I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time.

I really wish Heartland would look into this vacuum breaker valve issue. It seems too many people on this forum have reported a problem with this item. Is there anyway to tell if it is defective before drenching the inside of the 5er?

Gary

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Gary
I don't know how to tell if and when it goes bad, but I do know that it cost me $96 in Indio this year to get a new one
Rand

DaleR

3. While using the black tank flush (I love that feature!) discovered that the vacuum breaker valve was not closing and sent water into the coach drenching the kitchen floor and steps. In figuring this out I discovered that this device is located between the power closet wall and the bathroom wall.

I may of been asleep before, but this is the first time I have read about this!
Please tell me more.

Packer

Zeplik

Gary B - Best of luck on your new RV. Even though I've owned an RV for the last 7 years, this is my first 5er and in some ways it's a bit like learning all over. I'm having to un-learn how to back up for example...:)

Packer - The vacuum breaker valve (not sure if that's the correct terminology, but it's accurate) is a mechanical device that is in-line with the black tank flush line between the control panel and the black tank. It acts in effect as a one-way valve so that no "dirty" water makes it's way back out this line. Additionally it allows the water line on each side of the valve to drain by allowing air in when no water pressure is present.

Most of the complaints I've seen regarding this device is that it won't allow water to flow at all, thereby killing the flush feature. In my case the water flowed very well...very well between my walls and on to the floor. While I'm not sure of the exact failure mode, I believe it was probably 1 of 2 things, both related to a plunger which is how air is allowed in and hence the vacuum broken. 1. The plunger looks like it needs to be in a vertical position to work properly. If the valve is lying horizontal the plunger may not seal properly when pressurized, and therefore leak. My guess is that part of the valve placement is related to this need to be vertical. 2. Dirt or sawdust may have gotten on the plunger thereby not allowing a good seal when pressurized. This is my stronger belief due to the fact that when trying to find this device I found a lot of sawdust and debris (screws, wire casing, etc.) between the walls. I'm a bit surprised that this device is located within the walls without some kind of drain. The valve, while simple, doesn't look robust to me, so I anticipate future problems with it. That's why I made an easier access way to ot for the future. I'll try to upload a picture this weekend so you can get a visual.

Sailorand - Was that the price for the part, or did that include labor?

nscaler2

Photo Please!!!

Zeplik,
Is there any chance you could post a photo of the panel that you created so that we can see where it is. Also maybe a photo of the valve in question. There are lots of us the have 3055's and could incurr this problem also. Because of Rand's post, it sounds like this is not just a problem with new units. His is a 2006 like ours. Would really like to know where this thing is and how to get to it.

Thanks;)

Zeplik

nscaler2 - I'll get photos posted tomorrow (assming I can figure out how to do that).

An alternative way of getting to it (and the way I first got there) for a 3055 is to remove the fire extinguisher holder (6 screws I think). To the right, agianst the outside wall you'll find two blue (cold) water hoses that go up the wall. Pull these down (gently!) and the valve is about 3 feet up. My coach is a 2009 so there may be changes in manufacturing since earlier models (obliged disclaimer).

sailorand

Just the Part. It is really nice looking brass, maybe i should shine it up......

sailorand

I could not have pulled ours down as it was zap strapped and screwed to the wall

Zeplik

Sailorand - Hmmm, something has definitely changed in the manufacturing. Mine was not strapped, and is plastic, not brass. :confused:

Zeplik

Sorry I haven't posted photos yet. We have turned our house upside down looking for our camera, but to no avail. We're thinking we left it in New Hampshire a few weeks ago. I took some photos with my phone but I guess I don't have the right service to get them to my computer. It's been very frustrating!

I'll borrow one this week and get them posted.

Valve leaking

My 2006 has a brass valve and was also strapped and screwed to the wall so had to take the entry closet (2925RK) apart to get at it. Also mine was leaking on the 'bad' side' so the water that was on the floor didn't smell good to say the least. The mobile RV tech put in a new brass one that at least looks much more substantial that the original. I reinstalled the closet entry panels with velcro so it will be easy to get at it if it fails again.

Zeplik

Finally got some pictures for you. Sorry it has taken me so long! Got a new camera and we're good to go.

You see about half way up the closet is where I cut into the side wall (picture 1). I placed an electrical cover plate there held in place with velcro for easy access (pictures 2 and 3). Picture 4 shows the valve and as you can see it is made of plastic for the 2009 BH. I'll be monitoring this each time I flush the black tank!

I hope this helps some of you!

Mark

Attachments

• VAC_VLV_1.jpg
    VAC_VLV_1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
  • VAC_VLV_2.jpg
    VAC_VLV_2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 39
  • VAC_VLV_3.jpg
    VAC_VLV_3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 36